XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replacing speakers

Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Replacing speakers

I have been wanting to replace the speakers for years. They have been crackling for a while. I finally bit the bullet and bought some Kenwoods. Yes, they are inexpensive but I had a feeling that no speaker would be an exact fit and didn't want a full blown commitment if it didn't work.

I quickly did the front doors during lunch at work one day. I pulled the door panels and removed the pocket. I swapped the speakers and put it all back together. I cranked up the tunes and just didn't think it was the best sound it could be from replacing them. I've replaced speakers before and have always heard a noticeable difference. At least the fronts aren't crackling anymore.

I've been thinking about it for days. I went to put in the rear speakers and decided to find out what was going on. I removed the door panels from the rear doors (clips will be here tomorrow at work cause they are brittle plastic) and removed the pockets that hold the speakers. I removed the speakers and then attempted to put in the new ones. I noticed right away that the ring that supports the actual cone around the outside is contacting the mounting surface. This would most certainly cause the speaker not to work efficiently.

I thought for a bit and figured I would try to find some spacers to go between the door panel and the front face of the speaker. I searched online and even went to the local Best Buy (waste of time). I found some at Amazon and ordered them.

They arrived and I went to work on them. I wasn't sure if the diameter of the ring would match up. They were advertised as fitting and even had the three hole setup that the car has. I mounted the rings to the speakers to test fit in the speaker housing. They didn't go in due to the fact the diameter was too large. I had figured as much. I then cut the outer diameter off. The rings are not solid so cutting was easy. I roughly stayed the in the center of the width of the ring. I then drilled out the small three holes so the screws would pass through easier and grip the speaker housing instead of the spacer. I ran the screws through the speaker and into the ring. I then put the assembly into the speaker housing on the door pocket and ran the screws in. It holds very well.

I thoroughly cleaned the door panels with interior cleaner and leather cleaner before putting them back together. Even shined the wood panels.

So now they sit. Waiting for the blasted retainer clips to arrive. I can't even say if it made a difference yet. Oh well. There is always tomorrow.

I took some pics to share what I was looking at. I also need to redo the front doors as well.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing speakers-img_0092.jpg   Replacing speakers-img_0093.jpg   Replacing speakers-img_0084.jpg   Replacing speakers-img_0085.jpg   Replacing speakers-img_0089.jpg  

Replacing speakers-img_0090.jpg  
Old 04-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I just bought a new foam from Speakerworks, and rebuilt my rear subwoofer on my 97 XJR. Best 12.00 I think I ever spent, lol

Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I tried to find new foams for the factory door speakers, but gave up searching.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I finally got them all done. I was a little surprised at the sound quality. It was definitely better but not what I was looking for. I guess that what I get for buying Kenwoods on sale. At least they don't crackle anymore and it is not a daily driver so it will suffice. I'd rather spend money on a high quality paint job than speakers anyway. If I want to do them again, I don't have to go through the hassle of making spacers now.

The cost may have been equivalent to the original speakers but now I have ways to fit in aftermarkets.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Unless you have replaced the stock radio already I had the same result when I did my speaker replacement. Then I replaced the deck and realized how good my speakers really were. I got the base model Alpine speakers and tweeters and my system rocks now!

The following 2 users liked this post by SD96XJ6L:
BlackX300VDP (04-03-2015), MikeyB10 (04-07-2015)