XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Ruby Crunched, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ruby Crunched, need advice

Hi all. I've been a silent viewer this last year because I haven't had anything I felt worth adding to the conversation just yet. I've put 15k on Ruby in the last year with nothing more than oil changes and a set of tires needed.

Well my 95 x300 "Ruby" got crunched. Driving home from lunch, a Prius thought it was at a 4way stop and pulled right out in front of my son and I. I could literally see the driver looking at the car that had just past him. Thankfully, we were going slow and my son stood on the brakes so other than the soreness from clenching we are ok. The Prius driver is OK too and nobody's airbags went off.

So here is my dilemma: My body shop of choice gave me a $6500 estimate and they think the insurance adjuster will write her off. The damage is mostly the bumper and support. everything about the bumper will need replaced, the passenger headlight bezel, and the hood alignment is off about 7-10mm on the passenger side. They only deal with new parts unless I source the used ones that I want used and they are OK with the condition (the owner of this shop runs a tight ship and she does the best work in town - they pressure wash the parking lot yearly to keep it clean so repaired cars don't get dirty). The fenders were untouched and the hood will need minimal work for painting. The grill will likely just need a pass with a polisher. I can still raise and lower the hood without issue beyond that headlight contacting.

Ruby is driving fine and the only new issue is she's bleeding PS fluid a little more than in the past. Still tracking straight and true. I hate the thought of sending such a nice car to salvage. Even with a skewed bumper, she looks better than any Prius made.

So.... IF they make me an offer that I think is too low, and IF I work a deal where they cut me a check and I keep the car, I'll be looking for a donor car to grab the front end from.

Which finally brings me to the Question - Does anyone know if there are any structural differences to the front end of an x300 and x308? I can find x308s all over the place, but x300s are a rare beast without damage. At least in Arkansas. I know the bumper design is slightly different but was wondering if the mount points are the same.

Any comments beyond "Your Nuts" (I think that's been established) and "It's not worth it" (So,... what's your point?) or suggestions are appreciated.

And FWIW, the Prius will need both drivers side doors replaced and the B pillar straightened.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Too bad on the accident. I had good luck with Coventry West getting used body parts and chrome trim bits when I had my car repainted a couple of years ago.

Coventry West - Jaguar and Land Rover Parts

Old 09-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Well Ruby will live to cruise another day. Insurance playing nice and cutting me a check. Working with body shop on a used part solution (ie Genuine) and may get the hole car painted before it's all over.

Looking for a parts car now.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,051 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Also talk to David at Jaguar Parts - EverydayXJ, he has all sorts of parts and is a great guy to deal with. He has lots more that what is on his website, so probably best to call/email with your needs.

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (09-19-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:48 PM

Thanks, I may do that.

Ruby is going to become my oldest son's (living at home for two more years of college) and at least one other of my kids is making noises about wanting to get one. I think there is a chance that I may end up with a fleet before it's over (I have 4 kids). Provided they continue living at home and I can do the upkeep.

Number 2 son and I are doing a partial tear down of the front this weekend and seeing what's needed. My bodyshop had their list, but I want to do a full inspection of the front and replace anything else needing attention while it's apart. I'll try to do a write up if I think I can present something useful. If nothing else, I'll try to take lots of pictures. (#2 is also a pretty good photographer)