XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Seafoam'd the Cat

Old 07-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Seafoam'd the Cat

Here is the video of us doing a first time Seafoam on the jag. The car is around 150k miles right now and never received any type of oil additives/cleaners. I didn't get that much smoke as I thought I would from other videos, but does that mean my engine has been maintained throughout its years?

Off Topic:Tomorrow I plan on putting 10-30w Pennzoil Conventional oil.
Am I supposed to use synthetic or conventional?

Thanks for the view.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Please tell who ever was revving the p*ss out the engine to stop. That's frightening and unnecessary.

The smoke most people see when using Seafoam is from the product itself burning off and not some supposed 'contamination' in the engine. I've never yet in 40 years of playing with engines seen one in good condition that 'needs' or benefits from Seafoam or anything similar.

Waste of time and money IMHO.

Your owners manual will tell you what type of oil to use, just follow that.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Please tell who ever was revving the p*ss out the engine to stop. That's frightening and unnecessary.

Your owners manual will tell you what type of oil to use, just follow that.
YES! Why the hell do kids do that? Where did you put the Seafoam?
My wife's Subaru benefited from 1 oz per gallon in a tank of gas.
You can also remove a lot of extra stuff during an oil change, her car is driven around town on short trips.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

The MG guys swear by it. Some in the tank, some the oil, some sucked in through a vacuum port. Change oil after a while, forget how long.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Seafoam cleans out the carbon deposits and used for induction cleaning for cars that have been sitting for awhile or engines with many many miles on it. It can either be used through a vacuum line or mixed with the oil (at least those are the two places I've used it on) It can help with emissions tests also I've heard.

In my opinion, using different types of weighted oils depend on the season as it expands with heat.

But about the revving of the engine while using seafoam, why is it not necessary? Shouldn't it be revved high like that so it burns the carbon deposits?
Not trying to argue with anyone but just trying to get opinions.

EDIT: Nevermind, watched the video all the way through and saw how he was revving the engine through the throttle body and just "flicking" it. Yeah, that's scary. I usually only rev it around 3k rpm for a few seconds at a time then go back down to 1500 or so.

Last edited by AlbBolivar; 07-29-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 AM

Sorry about the over rev! I read a lot of customers reviews stating they rev a little hard to clear it out. I poured it just like the can said 1/3 in gas,oil, vacuum line. It was only 9$, why not try it? Next time I try it I'll let it sit in there for 30 minutes instead of 15. I'm just confused on how some cars have crazy smoke shows, while some others barely have any.
Overall, easy process.

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
But about the revving of the engine while using seafoam, why is it not necessary? Shouldn't it be revved high like that so it burns the carbon deposits?
What carbon deposits? Modern engines don't accumulate 'carbon deposits' in sufficient quantity to make even the slightest difference in performance, mileage or reliability.

Not picking on you guys- but this is a perfect illustration of excellent marketing. They convince owners that there's a problem they need to fix 'to keep bad things from happening'. The product is invariably quick and easy to use and in this case immediately shows results- smoke out the tailpipe. Does it not occur to people that if you pour oil into the inlet of a running engine it will burn and cause smoke?

The placebo effect is well documented in the medical field and applies equally well when applied to things we care about- such as cars. We paid $9 for a bottle of miracle juice and by the spirit of Sir William Lyons it worked a miracle.

The clincher is that if it doesn't seem to work, we blame ourselves and say we'll just use more next time.

Wish I had invented Seafoam.

I'm going to start selling bags of petrified voodoo chicken bones on eBay. Works twice as well as any other snake oil, or you get a second bag for FREE (just pay shipping and handling).

Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

.......and I thought this was a thread about animal cruelty.

Graham

Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Wish I had invented Seafoam.

I'm going to start selling bags of petrified voodoo chicken bones on eBay. Works twice as well as any other snake oil, or you get a second bag for FREE (just pay shipping and handling).

Hehe...call it "MikeyMix"

Old 07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

What carbon deposits? Modern engines don't accumulate 'carbon deposits' in sufficient quantity to make even the slightest difference in performance, mileage or reliability.
[/SIZE]
Well before I purchased my car, the tags were outdated by two years and from the looks of it, it was sitting for awhile so I figured it'd be good to use and didn't think it'd hurt anything as my dad has used it in all our other cars.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 PM

So this product and mostly other products like this are safe to say don't work? Are all the reviews and statements I see paid employees or customers mentally believing this product works? Have you guys actually tried this product?

How do you guys feel about Marvel Mystery Oil?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:25 PM

They only work on things that are broken. Your car is not broken.

SeaFoam was invented to unclog the carbs on WWII era 2 stroke outboards that had sat for a while, does a great job on that.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRL1990
There's a mod on my Russian gun forum that swears by that for lubricating guns. If you know what Hoppe's does, same concept.

So apparently this "SeaFoam" cleans out deposits of carbon?

I tried a fuel additive in my Caprice Classic, and it made the engine sound a little unhealthy.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by SRL1990
So this product and mostly other products like this are safe to say don't work? Are all the reviews and statements I see paid employees or customers mentally believing this product works? Have you guys actually tried this product?

The definitive test for these 'upper cylinder lubricants' is for an independent Lab / Consulting Engineers to:

1. remove the heads and quantify carbon build up on pistons and valves
2. put the engine back together
3. treat with 'the product' (Seafoam w.h.y.) as per manufacturer's instructions
4. remove the heads again
5. assess carbon reduction / removal

I've seen a few of these products over the years all with similar extravagant claims but never backed up with any scientific evaluation.

Marvel Mystery Oil? Their website shows this is made by the same people as Turtle Wax. The jury may still be out on Marvel I'm almost sure that wax isn't made from turtles.

Graham

Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  19.3 KB

Anyone considered Terra Clean?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...iRXu3p6HGqJ81w

As seen on Wheeler Dealers

Dream car garage on speed - Jaguar X type

This process is available for both petrol and diesel engines.

Something I'm considering doing to my Audi A6. She's now sitting at 95k miles and is running fairly sweetly to be honest.

I have recently replaced the fuel filter and also removed the EGR valve and decarbonised that, I stopped short of removing the intake manifold though so I'm sure I could still see some benefit from this.

Anyone?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Anyone considered Terra Clean?

You just want to hear me let loose with a rant/hissy fit I think.

In the first video, the complaint is 'high levels of hydrocarbons'. At least they're using a car that actually has a problem- but this problem is not typical of cars actually on the road as it would cause an MOT failure. If your car passes MOT, is not suffering increased fuel consumption or is not down on power, it's not 'broken' so there's nothing to fix.

Back to the high levels of HC- this is NOT caused by 'carbon deposits' in the combustion chamber or downsteam. It can be caused by dirty or clogged fuel injectors. My guess is that this miracle juice simply cleaned the injectors. I did laugh when he mentioned 'lower fuel consumption' as being a problem and when he compared the machine to similar to having a colonic irrigation. Ouch.

All fuels today have more than enough injector cleaner already blended in- which is why there's so rarely a need for supplemental cleaning.

In the second video, and I'm embarrassed to see that it's a Canadian production, the narrator launches into techno mumbo-jumbo that almost matched this masterpiece

but without the laughter at the end. WTF is 'Columbic Fractionation'? I did a google search and found this:

Honda Prelude | What to check to reduce MPG? : Engine / GearBox - Page 7

Read the posts by 'Skinny'.

Back to the video- the narrator lost all credibility when he attempted to describe at 3:23 how higher octane fuel results in more power. Frightening.

They essentially admit that the miracle juice is 'modified' gasoline. If there was a need to prevent engines from carboning up (which apparently existing fuels don't successfully accomplish), and it could be achieved through 'modified gasoline' that cleaned the engine as it ran- why don't the fuel refiners simply blend this fluid in to their existing products. Think of the marketing advantage!

Rant over with, and yes, I'm a born cynic.