XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Skislope / Gearbox Park switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Skislope / Gearbox Park switch **SOLVED**

Heya,

I hope somebody please can give me some advise in getting the ticking noise fixed in the center console.

Referring to this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...300-faq-57038/, my switch under the skislope / J gate is making contact when not pressed in. Its not all the time, most of the times when the car is cold i here ticking from the switchmaking contact( the sound is like a relais going on and off ), after a few times going crazy it stops and works like normal again.

I opened up the skislope and unscrewed the J gate and then cleaned the switch, but its still making contact by itself sometimes. I noticed it is popped with nails on a metal plate next to the J gate.

- What is the name of this switch?
- Is there any way of fixing this issue without replacing the switch?
- Is it replaceable?

Thanks in advance,

Maraud

Attached Thumbnails Skislope / Gearbox Park switch-ski15.jpg  

Last edited by Maraud; 12-10-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It looks like the inhibitor switch that stops the car starting if it's not in park.

It's a micro switch and the only way is to replace it as they can't be taken apart.

The following users liked this post:
Maraud (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM

Its not that the car won't start, it start and runs great. Its just the sound of the switch going on and off for a couple of times.

Can i just replace the micro switch or do i have to replace the whole unit?
As i am just expecting the switch to be the problem.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should look elsewhere. Could it be the solinoid that activates when the brake is pressed? The microswitch cannot activate itself

Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 AM

No I dont think so it is the solanoid. When i removed the Skislope and J-gate I played a bit with the switch. When i touch the switch and try to wiggle it a bit i hear that the switch is making contact itself. I hear the click noise in the switch. When you press the metal plate it makes contact, when you let it go it makes a sound of releasing. But sometimes it just goes by itself. Specially when i hold the micro switch in my hand and try to move it. There is almost no room to clean the switch, and the switch itself can not be openend.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 AM
sbc
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually microswitches _can_ be opened and cleaned, but it requires good eyesight and nerves of steel! The switch works by flexing an extremely small piece of metal and if you remove that to clean it, you can spend a _lot_ of time trying to fit it back in But it can be done. I have fixed much, much smaller switches, like those used in a computer mouse. But if you can get a new at a good price, you might want to skip the frustration of working inside a microswitch

Maraud (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by sbc
Actually microswitches _can_ be opened and cleaned, but it requires good eyesight and nerves of steel!

Lacking those attributes an alternative is to drill a hole (large enough for one of those red nozzles/straws that come with aerosol sprays) in the case so electrical contact cleaner can be sprayed in

But even that takes some familiarity with the innards of the switch so that you don't drill into something vital :-)

But if you can get a new at a good price, you might want to skip the frustration of working inside a microswitch

Yeah, after you/I/we have ruined the switch trying to repair it (tee hee hee) you can just buy a new one for a few dollars :-)

Googling "snap action micro switch" or similar should reveal some good electronics suppliers. From there it's a matter of matching up what you have to the dozens of configurations offered.

Most hardware stores or local electronics shops will have a few micro switches on hand. Sometimes what they have is close enough to work even if it isn't an exact match.

Cheers
DD

Maraud (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mikesmith2
It looks like the inhibitor switch that stops the car starting if it's not in park.

Actually, I *think* this is the "not-in-park" switch. It interrupts the interlock solenoid circuit so that, once the car is out-of-park, you don't have to hear the interlock solenod clacking everytime you press the brake pedal

Cheers
DD

Maraud (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Actually, I *think* this is the "not-in-park" switch. It interrupts the interlock solenoid circuit so that, once the car is out-of-park, you don't have to hear the interlock solenod clacking everytime you press the brake pedal

Cheers
DD

It is not the solenoid that I hear making sound. When i press my brake pedal and let is lose I hear and see that the solenoid is doing the right thing.

Its the micro switch for sure, but the odd thing is when i lay my hand on the plastic switch, and grab it and try to move it a bit on the metal plate, it starts clicking and making noise.

Where do i find the same switch that perfectly matches the genuine part?
On jaguar part websites i can find the solenoid and the inhibitor switch module, but not the tiny micro switch.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Maraud
Where do i find the same switch that perfectly matches the genuine part?
On jaguar part websites i can find the solenoid and the inhibitor switch module, but not the tiny micro switch.

I don't think Jaguar itself offers the switch individually.

You'll have to find a match via electronics suppliers

Cheers
DD

Maraud (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks Doug, I will open the Skislope again next weekend and have a new look how to fix this permanently. To be continued..

Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Wauw! The local Jaguar dealer has the switches in stock! Nice

The workmen told me normally you had to order a new J gate, but since you cant order these anymore they have a plastic bag full with these micro switches specially for this kind of issues!

Great! I will build in the new switch next weekend.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Maraud
Wauw! The local Jaguar dealer has the switches in stock! Nice

The workmen told me normally you had to order a new J gate, but since you cant order these anymore they have a plastic bag full with these micro switches specially for this kind of issues!

Great! I will build in the new switch next weekend.

Cool that the dealer does that :-)

Cheers
DD

Maraud (11-27-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
sbc
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you imagine how expensive that microswitch would be, if you had to replace the whole J-gate? Wow...

Old 12-10-2012, 07:47 AM

The problem with the switch is solved since last weekend, i have replaced the old switch!

I have also located a store on Internet where you can buy the switch if its not availible by your local dealer.

Y4T6Y-1884 Sundry - 40 in stock to buy, photo, pdf datasheet, rfq, obsolete

See video for the working switch after replacement.
When i press the switch and brake you hear the mechanism from the solenoid work fine. When i let it go and brake you dont hear the solenoid. Nice and queit, also the stressed out switch clicking noise is gone now. Works like a charm!

Jaguar XJ40 / X300 J-Gate Micro Switch - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails Skislope / Gearbox Park switch-dsc_0056%5B1%5D.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Maraud:
crvols (03-02-2017), Tcasmarcus (09-23-2016)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What would stop someone from just keeping the switch in the "on" position to avoid having to deal with this getting dirty? Mine I have to wiggle the shifter while turning the key to get it to start when its cold, sound like the problem?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 AM

When the switch is pressed, the solenoid mechanism is unlocked so you can move the shifter to drive. When the switch is not pressed, the mechanism is locked so you cant put it in park or reverse when driving the car.

Also you would hear the mechanism click all the time when you would press your break! ;-)

Adjusting the metal sprite from the switch will propably fix your problem.

Last edited by Maraud; 12-21-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Maraud, exactly the same problem here! I'll order a switch off that link you kindly provided...
Just so I'm prepared though - did you have to drill out what look like rivets holding the old microswitch in place? & presumably just cut the wires and solder to the new switch?

Cheers!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ziggy
Hi Maraud, exactly the same problem here! I'll order a switch off that link you kindly provided...
Just so I'm prepared though - did you have to drill out what look like rivets holding the old microswitch in place? & presumably just cut the wires and solder to the new switch?

Cheers!
Hi Ziggy, yes what you can do is order a new switch and replace the old one.
Drill out the remaining switch, and replace. Exactly what you already thought.

Other thing you can do is remove the complete ski slope and remove the copper plate attached to the J-gate ( a lot more work )
This copper plate hold the switch.

Best thing to do first is to try and clean it tho! Soak it with contact spray, wiggle and play with it.

Goodluck!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Cheers! I've got the new switch waiting to go in, so of course the old one is working fine now! But it must be on borrowed time...