XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

split hose - thought I'd blown a gasket..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts
Default split hose - thought I'd blown a gasket..

Horrible day yesterday - first a speeding ticket in my Subaru, but a fair cop (35/100 demerits, points last 2 years)

Then, in the Daimler, gave it some stick out of a round-about, then passed someone slow, then another round-about having a drag against a big bike, then passed another car (no oncoming traffic), then a puff of what I thought was oil smoke in the mirror. I looked down to see the engine warning light on, so I stopped.
Antifreeze running everywhere, so I went back to the boot/trunk, and the rear panel was slippery with glycol.
The temperature gauge was steady, although some of you have recently educated me that doesn't mean much... Anyway, most unhappy at this stage with images of blown head gaskets (been there many times but not for 20 years)

I didn't want to leave the car where it was on a highway, so I limped at 80km/h another 3-4 miles then parked a mile from home and got picked up.
I returned two hours later with much water, and it took 7 litres to top it up. Scary - I must have been getting close to Big Trouble, as the handbook states the cooling system takes 12 litres.
I drove home, and found that the water was dripping from the hose numbered MNA6724CB, and seemed isolated to the end where it attaches to the small pipe at the rear of the head. Some helpful person, possibly a Coventry mechanic, had done up the hose clip with the nut facing the firewall at an oblique angle - must have been installed like that in 1995. I couldn't get it undone, so we all went out for a curry.

Today I visited the hardware store and bought a 1/4" drive socket set, and that got it undone, just - tricky little inaccessible corner, thank you Jaguar, horrible flash backs to working on 3 Austin 1100s in a previous Millenium...

The hose came off and had a 5mm split on its undersurface. I shortened the hose as little as possible, and did it up again, this time with hose clip nut facing up (quite an easy thing to do, really - perhaps possible at the factory?), and touch wood, she's watertight again.

But I figure history can repeat so I searched for part MNA6724CB, and JDHT says it is unavailable! the fun continues - this is why, deep down, I love old cars.

I shall phone my mechanic in the morning and see if he can get hold of MNA6724CB.
And I shall not speed, nor race superbikes for a while.
And I may need to upgrade from a 3.2 to an XJR if I think I want to behave this way in the future..

Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

You probably would have received more demerits if you were in the Daimler at the time. Not because you would have been going even faster, but because it is a Daimler!!

Hose failure is the most likely scenario during assertive driving, with all those (old) hoses. Our head gaskets are tough. But don't push your luck against big bikes, cops, or head gaskets after losing coolant! Please!

When not driving with vigor, we all must keep an eye out for that red low coolant indicator on the right side dashboard. The one that hides behind the steering wheel!

3.2 to XJR..... quite an upgrade. Watch out for AL!!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 AM

The Daimler is at 'the Doctor' at the moment
A full set of new hoses fitted yesterday, and now a set of new diff bearings. I thought it was a bit noisy from the rear axle, I couldn't tell if it was the diff or the wheel bearings - mechanic went for a drive then pulled the half-shafts off the diff. One very worn bearing, the other not too bad, but a new set going in tomorrow, as well as a new thermostat for good measure.
Then hopefully in the afternoon I finally get my rear parcel shelf 6 1/2" Alpine type-R speakers fitted... a busy week for the car (and the credit card..)

My, what a wonderful thing the EU is. All the hoses are 'made to jaguar specification', one in Poland, two in France, one it Italy and one actually made in the UK...

Old 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Al Have a read of article bellow on hoses
Just keep an eye on them as on my car the same hose as yours broke the same way I also extended it and it broke again so I replaced all the hoses and belts and pulleys to be safe
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uestion-86719/

Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 AM

got the car back, 5pm Friday.
Nice new hoses, genuine Jaguar ("made to Jaguar Spec") so better be good -about $800-1000 NZD worth of hoses, plus labour

Also new differential bearings - QUIET - happy.
Only a short drive home, about 5 km, but no drips on the driveway.