XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Starter Clunks

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Starter Clunks

Hey Lads,

So now that I have some of my other issues out of the way, a new one has surfaced.

Literally right after I fixed the ground strap problem on the XJ6, I started having difficulty with the starter motor. I thought, "no big deal, I will pull it off and have it tested" and then I found out that removing it is a PITA.

So the symptom is that when you go to start the car, the starter spins and then makes a clunk sound and stops. If you release the key and try again, the car will start. At times you can keep the motor turning for more revolutions even when it makes the clunk.

So I guess if I am lucky, the problem is isolated to the starter itself and I just have to live with the PITA of getting it out of there. If I am not so lucky, the problem is going to be in the gear on the car and that makes me cringe. Problem is that it looks like the starter needs to come off anyway to figure it out.

Anyone got any tips for removing the starter?
With the exception of the lower starter bolt, everything else looks like a pain.

When my son gets back I will shoot a quick video so you guys can hear it but it is surely a metal collision of some sort as you turn the starter motor.

Bernie

UPDATE

Holy Crap!
For those of you who have removed the starter off these cars, you are better mechanics than I........................lol
How on earth are you supposed to get to the rear bolt of the starter? I tried fishing any number of ratchet combinations behind the starter and can't even
get close to finding the bolt. Can't see a damn thing and there is barely enough room to maneuver anything behind the starter?

I'm looking at this saying:
If I were to ever be so lucky to get that bolt out, I will never, ever be able to get it lined up and back in again.
Wow, do I need to remove the entire intake to get to it? Certainly haven't figured out a way from underneath that's for sure.

Last edited by razorboy; 11-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Have since discovered that the inside bolt threads from the opposite direction over the top of the transmission bell housing.

A couple of different approaches to get to it with one person dropping the transmission at the rear to gain access over the top. Then someone removed the windshield wiper motor and using a C-shaped ratcheting wrench got it from the engine bay. Have seen a couple of horror stories too with the bolt head getting stripped out. Ugh.

Since the starter still works, I am going to push this repair back a bit until I get a few other things done around here. I have front end work to do and repairs on my other vehicles which are more pressing.