XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Steering wheel tilt problem HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering wheel tilt problem HELP

Ok so ever since i have owned the car (1995 Vanden plas) my steering wheel tilt/telescope hasnt worked and it has been on my to do list since. When I move the adjustment wheel to telescope the motor will sound but no movement. When i move it to tilt however no motor sounds but i do hear one click from what sounds to be a relay. Any advice on how to fix this is greatly apperciated. Also any parts i will need.

Thanks,

Chase

Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Do a search on the XK8 or XJ8 forum for this fault! The columns are nearly identical for the X300, X308, X100.

bob gauff

Old 12-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Telescoping cable is broken if you hear motor and no movement. This is common to happen. the motor and cable are on top of the column for the telescoping. The tilt function sounds like a bad motor because of the clicking it is getting power just not turning. If u replace the motor the back acuator on the motor tells the memory how high or low the column is so the motor will stop.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Smile

I bought the telescoping cable from coventry west for around 35 dollars and its pretty easy install. I have some diagrams if you need them.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by bandre2
I bought the telescoping cable from coventry west for around 35 dollars and its pretty easy install. I have some diagrams if you need them.
sorry just saw these posts now. thanks for the advice. any diagrams would be great! thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Hi Bandre,

Just read your post on replacing the telesccoping cable on the XJ6. Mine is broken. At least it doesn't work and the motor does run. So the diagrams would help a lot. Also, where did you buy the cable?

Thanks
Bob Sudderth BSudderth@juno.com

Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Wink

I bought the cable from a company called coventry west for 35 dollars. Do you hear any clicking when you move the knob back and forth?

instructions below are how to remove the Tilt motor. If you need to remove Telecoping motor you can reach the top of the column and disconect the motor it snaps on to the top of the column. Then unplug from harness.

1.Move the driver's seat fully rearwards.
2.Disconnect the battery negative cable.
3.Remove the 2 screws that secure the steering column lower cowl and remove the cowl for access to the multiplugs.
4.Disconnect the following multiplugs: instrument rheostat, steering column tilt function, steering column telescope function.
5.Remove the lower cowl.
WARNING: Ensure the battery has been disconnected for a minimum of 1 minute before attempting to work on airbag removal.

6.Turn the steering wheel 90°from the straight ahead position, and completely loosen the accessible bolt securing the airbag module (bolt remains captive).
7Turn the steering wheel 180°to obtain access to the other airbag module bolt, and loosen the bolt completely (bolt remains captive).
8.Release the airbag module, disconnect the multiplug and remove airbag module.
9.Disconnect the horn multiplug.
10.Center the steering wheel and remove the steering wheel retaining bolt.
11.Release the steering wheel from the steering column.
12.Pass the horn and airbag harnesses through the steering wheel opening, and remove the steering wheel.
13.Remove the 4 screws securing the driver side dash-liner.
14.Use the special tool JD-188 to remove the dash-liner securing clip.
15.Disconnect the air-conditioning aspirator multiplug and remove the dash liner.
16.Release the tilt-motor potentiometer multiplug from the mounting bracket and disconnect the multiplug.
17.Remove the 2 bolts securing the tilt motor.
18.Release the tilt motor from the drive coupling.
19.Release the anti-backout device from the tilt-motor potentiometer multiplug.
20.Noting their installed position, use special tool MS-1540 to release the red and brown motor wire terminals from the multiplug. Then remove the wires from the black sleeve.
21.Release the securing tang from the tilt-motor potentiometer and remove the potentiometer.
22.Remove the tilt motor.
23.Remove the 2 bolts securing C/MCM.
24.Disconnect the multiplugs and remove the C/MCM.

The following users liked this post:
Sean Thomas (10-29-2013)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 PM

I bought the cable from a company called coventry west for 35 dollars. Do you hear any clicking when you move the knob back and forth?

instructions below are how to remove the Tilt motor. If you need to remove Telecoping motor you can reach the top of the column and disconect the motor it snaps on to the top of the column. Then unplug from harness.

1.Move the driver's seat fully rearwards.
2.Disconnect the battery negative cable.
3.Remove the 2 screws that secure the steering column lower cowl and remove the cowl for access to the multiplugs.
4.Disconnect the following multiplugs: instrument rheostat, steering column tilt function, steering column telescope function.
5.Remove the lower cowl.
WARNING: Ensure the battery has been disconnected for a minimum of 1 minute before attempting to work on airbag removal.

6.Turn the steering wheel 90°from the straight ahead position, and completely loosen the accessible bolt securing the airbag module (bolt remains captive).
7Turn the steering wheel 180°to obtain access to the other airbag module bolt, and loosen the bolt completely (bolt remains captive).
8.Release the airbag module, disconnect the multiplug and remove airbag module.
9.Disconnect the horn multiplug.
10.Center the steering wheel and remove the steering wheel retaining bolt.
11.Release the steering wheel from the steering column.
12.Pass the horn and airbag harnesses through the steering wheel opening, and remove the steering wheel.
13.Remove the 4 screws securing the driver side dash-liner.
14.Use the special tool JD-188 to remove the dash-liner securing clip.
15.Disconnect the air-conditioning aspirator multiplug and remove the dash liner.
16.Release the tilt-motor potentiometer multiplug from the mounting bracket and disconnect the multiplug.
17.Remove the 2 bolts securing the tilt motor.
18.Release the tilt motor from the drive coupling.
19.Release the anti-backout device from the tilt-motor potentiometer multiplug.
20.Noting their installed position, use special tool MS-1540 to release the red and brown motor wire terminals from the multiplug. Then remove the wires from the black sleeve.
21.Release the securing tang from the tilt-motor potentiometer and remove the potentiometer.
22.Remove the tilt motor.
23.Remove the 2 bolts securing C/MCM.
24.Disconnect the multiplugs and remove the C/MCM.
Thanks! im hoping to take on this task in spring

The following users liked this post:
CBSmith (04-02-2016)
Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ6 Tilt motor not working at all ,1996

The tilt function in my XJ6, doesn't work, i don't know if it's the reach motor or tilt motor. It doesn't make any noise at all. There's no clicking like its not getting power it's not tilting at all. I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an off again on again problem. Specifically at times it works at times it does not, when it does not the rear view mirrors do not function either. Pretty sure that rain or snow falling on the the door panel has some part in this but can't prove it. Would love a good solid diagnosis as I hate fishing trips, thanks

Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have the same problem--please help 2000 jaguar xj8 111

Originally Posted by Scot_3
I have an off again on again problem. Specifically at times it works at times it does not, when it does not the rear view mirrors do not function either. Pretty sure that rain or snow falling on the the door panel has some part in this but can't prove it. Would love a good solid diagnosis as I hate fishing trips, thanks