XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Throttle position sensor source

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile Throttle position sensor source

As a result of a stalling problem I am planning to replace the throttle position sensor on my 95 X300. I know getting it from Jaguar will be expensive beyond belief. Some where in the forum someone talked about a Ford part being exactly the same. If anyone has information as to how I can locate that part number please let me know. Or a better source for the part.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Ford Scorpio tps 95-97

take a look at the 95-97 ford scorpio tps, made by ford for the same year, same Scaled 0-5 volts. Only need to check. Find this out and you are good to go! these are cheap on uk ebay. look under ford scorpio tps. I have a used one that I know is good but the problem is it is used and no telling how long it will last, dont want find yourself swapping this out again anytime soon. If you can verify the specs, this part looks very promising. As long as it is scaled 0-5 your good, please other people chime in and give your 2 cents.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
ford tps.docx (64.9 KB, 558 views)

Last edited by jeremiahjaguar; 12-23-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: AFTER THOUGHT
The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

car-part.com for a country-wide search of salvage yards.

EZDriver (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jeremiah. That is much needed information. I will look into this and post all data on the final outcome of solving the stalling issue which I hope this will finally solve. A lot of other people are having the same problem.

EZDriver

Originally Posted by jeremiahjaguar
take a look at the 95-97 ford scorpio tps, made by ford for the same year, same Scaled 0-5 volts. Only need to check. Find this out and you are good to go! these are cheap on uk ebay. look under ford scorpio tps. I have a used one that I know is good but the problem is it is used and no telling how long it will last, dont want find yourself swapping this out again anytime soon. If you can verify the specs, this part looks very promising. As long as it is scaled 0-5 your good, please other people chime in and give your 2 cents.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jeremiah,

I think I found the right unit on ebay. The item number is 181041286336 and covers the years 1995 to 1998. I have sent the seller a queston regarding it being compatable with the 95 Jag and if the voltage rang is 0-5 volts. I'll see what I get back. They do list the P/N you gave me as being compatable. So when I hear back I'll probably order the unit. One thing that could be checked now is for you to measure the resistance of your used unit full range. If you could do that I would really appreciate it. If we solve this problem a whole lot of X300 owners are really going to be happy. The OE unit from Jaguar is very expensive. Newer Jag sedan owners cannot buy the TPS by itself. They have to buy the whole throttle body for $3000. Go figure. No wonder the new sales are down.

Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM

What i meant to say was that I have a used jaguar original potentiometer that i know is good, Sorry I was unclear. But I will find a ford scorpio tps to work on in a few weeks, just have to find time, and let you know.

EZDriver (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

What i meant to say was that I have a used jaguar original potentiometer that i know is good, Sorry I was unclear. But I will find a ford scorpio tps to work on in a few weeks, just have to find time, and let you know.
Ahh! I now understand. But if it wouldn't be tooooo much trouble would you mind measuring the resistance of the OE unit. I will also try to do that on the unit I have on my car. That resistance must be met for any after market unit in order to get the correct voltage range. I think that is right. You agree?

Thank you for your help with this. And if you would be willing to sell the OE unit I would like to buy it.

The Ford unit that I think is correct on ebay is the item number I mentioned above.

Thanks again for your help. I am convinced that some cars are disposed of due to the cost of OE parts being more than the car is worth. A friend of mine sold his perfect 96 VDP because Jag told him it would cost $6000 to replace the ECU. Those are available for around $500 on ebay and can be rebuilt for about that much. Jag parts just should not be that expensive.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2012, 07:59 PM

I have checked a few oe jaguar potentiometers before and the range is 0-5 volts. you can also check yours with a volt meter and look to see how smoothly the transition between readings when you open and close the throttle body, look to see if it jumps over numbers as you go up and down the scale or any blank spots. what you want to see is a smooth transition between numbers no jumping around or skipping large amount of numbers. you also can use your scanner and check while tps still on car, I prefer this way, this will give you a good idea if your tps is really bad. you can email me at jeremiahjaguar@yahoo.com

Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

My tps that is on the car right now appears to work perfectly. But the car stalls randomly from idle after stopping. Very random and seldom. I think the wiper on the potentiometer is worn at idle and randomly breaks the circuit causing the computer to stall the car. The TPS is the last thing to change to fix this. The reason for asking for the resistance range of an OE unit is that provides a method for checking a new unit without installing it on the car and TB. But I think the resistance range is probably zero to infinity. The five volts is what comes out of the computer.

One more question. That P/N (90TF9B989) that I got from your first response: is that the part number that is the same as on the JAG OE unit?

Thanks Jeremiah

Last edited by EZDriver; 12-30-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The random stall from idle can also be contributed to the torque converter on these cars if I remember correctly.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
The random stall from idle can also be contributed to the torque converter on these cars if I remember correctly.
Do you have any more information.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM

the part number listed is for a ford scorpio tps it just so happens that they look identical and are at the same 0-5 volts. I have checked a few potentiomters and it is allways 0-5 not zero to infinity. My 2 cents. oh and sounds more like a coil going bad to me, when my car would stall when coming to a stop it was a coil.