XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Trunk open light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trunk open light on

So I had the car painted. While doing that they realigned the truck lid. Ever since they did that the dash indicator light has been on saying that the trunk is open.

I can follow the wiring around but I don't see anything that could be a switch that they have moved or damaged. I'm obviously missed something. I can open the trunk with the key without problem. The push button to open it depresses but will not open the trunk. The only other thing that I know, but it was broken before the light came on, is that the valet switch in the center console is broken.

So what am I missing and how do I get the light to turn off on the dash?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

As best I understand the X300 "courtesy light" switches, is that they are inside the lock mechanism.

Look for posts by Doug, he explains the door switches perfectly.

The boot (trunk) switch is also INSIDE the lock thingy. I have not ventured into this item, so NO actual hands on from me.

I would open the boot, use a suitable round shaft, screwdriver will do, and shut the lock, the "parrots beak" will (should) trip this micro switch. I reckon some looking whilst activating the "beak" will soon have you understand the operation, and then the fix will follow quickly.

I reckon they have the "loop thing" too tight, and the "beak" is not "rolling over" enough to trip that switch, so, an easing of what they did may also simply fix the light.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-21-2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spelling still sucks
Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The micro switch is attached to the latch and has been damaged or dislodged.

bob gauff

Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Oh boy, more fun with trunk lids and latches!

The car probably thinks the trunk lid is open, which means that the button on the trunk lid won't work, and the alarm won't set. Correct?

How does the new paint job look?

291K, with 300K right around the corner! Congrats!

Last edited by SleekJag12; 02-22-2014 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Added comments
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No, the alarm sets just fine but you are correct in that the button doesn't work. The key doesn't work without playing with it in the drivers door. My indie turned me on to a locksmith. He believes it's just warn and needs new springs or something in the lock.

As for the paint job. It was done at a restoration shop. Being OTR truck drivers we didn't need it right away. Finally when it was to be done we rolled the rig right up to the front door. The body work looked great, just no paint.

When it was painted we went and found them in a different building. No we didn't know. Changing shops, that's fine it was a better place. However, it wasn't done. The next trip after it was done we found they moved back to their first shop but no power on in the building. Even though it had three runs, and ragged edges where they pulled the tape off the door handles etc we decided we had better take the car because the shop was about four hours from home and we were afraid that it was going to get mixed up in a landlord dispute and who knows what kind of hassle that would be.

If it was buffed out, it would look good. The body work I will way was first rate. Straight as an arrow. The paint is also not so bad that you seeing it in a parking lot or passing by you would notice it, but that's not what I paid good money for.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

The alarm works, trunk lid latches, and it unlocks with key. Trunk button doesn't work. "Trunk open" lights up on dash when lid is closed. I'll let it soak in and maybe come up with some ideas in a day or two.

My VDP had a couple of very loose outside door handles that was affecting operation of the locks. The rubber gaskets around the handles were long gone. I used some black plastic trim around the outer edges of the handles to tighten them up. Not a genuine fix, but it is a tedious job to remove and refit the door panels, so it works for now.

Quite a story with the body shop. Good you retrieved your car before they and it disappeared altogether! Buff it out if you can, and get some good polish on it. All this fabulous sunshine chews up our paint jobs. Just ask my 6.

Shine up those exhaust tips and now you have the newest looking old Jag around!