XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'Trunk open' light not coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 'Trunk open' light not coming on.

Another day, another problem! Hope someone can help.
The dashboard switch for opening the boot (trunk!) on my '95 X300 opens it OK but no dashboard light comes on. I know the light is OK as it comes on with all the others when the ignition is switched on so I suspect the problem may lie with a contact switch around the trunk area. If that is the problem, can anyone tell me where it is so I can check it out?
Thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Do the trunk lights actually work? Wires like to break along the RS hinge. The microswitches go bad from time to time as well.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jagtec1
Do the trunk lights actually work? Wires like to break along the RS hinge. The microswitches go bad from time to time as well.
Thanks for that, much obliged. Yes the trunk lights work OK, BUT, when I noticed this I also saw that the dashboard warning light was on again! Hadn't noticed if the trunk lights were out when the warning light was. If on the same microswitch I would suspect they would be.
Do you know where the switch is so I can spay some switch cleaner/lubricant?
Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Try watching the trunk lights as you slowly open and close the lid....see if they go off. There is a harness along the RS hinge, and the wires flew there....they sometimes break over time, but may still contact each other sometimes.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jagtec1
Try watching the trunk lights as you slowly open and close the lid....see if they go off. There is a harness along the RS hinge, and the wires flew there....they sometimes break over time, but may still contact each other sometimes.
I big thank you for that. Will do!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with my x300. The boot will only open with the key, it will not open by pressing the growler or the button on the dash. Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:31 PM

After looking throught my Jaguar security manual I believe that the boot only opens with the doors locks and petrol cap when you use the remote.

Can somebody tell me if this correct?

Also when my boot is open I can still lock the car, no warning comes up on the dash to tell you the boot is open.

What can I check to get the car to recognized when the boot is open, as I need to pair a key-fob to the car and can't until the boot is recognized.
This information is for the U.K.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by atann
After looking throught my Jaguar security manual I believe that the boot only opens with the doors locks and petrol cap when you use the remote.

Can somebody tell me if this correct?

Also when my boot is open I can still lock the car, no warning comes up on the dash to tell you the boot is open.

What can I check to get the car to recognized when the boot is open, as I need to pair a key-fob to the car and can't until the boot is recognized.
This information is for the U.K.
How frustrating!
Firstly, when my old remote worked OK, pressing once opened the driver's door, twice all remaining doors and third press the boot. As I can't reprogram my new remote I now have to use the key all the time. When I turn the key once, the driver's door unlocks, turn it again and the remaining doors unlock. I can only then open the boot by pressing the growler at the rear or pressing the switch on the dash. For some reason, my key will not open the boot! (It's not the valet key).
If I try to lock the car with the boot open, then I get a warning sound. Same when I used to use the remote when I'd left the boot unlocked Do you?
You've realised I know that your big problem here is that seemingly the car's system does not know when your boot is open or not. I don't know where the contact sensor switch is located in the boot area, but I am assuming the one switch activates the boot lights and the warning light, so if the boot lights come on but the warning light doesn't, that pretty much rules out the contact switch being faulty.
Presume you've switched on the ignition, gone to the boot and worked it up and down again whilst watching the dash to see if the light comes on?
Sorry, not much help to your problem, but some auto electrician must have some clue!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by biffta
How frustrating!
Firstly, when my old remote worked OK, pressing once opened the driver's door, twice all remaining doors and third press the boot. As I can't reprogram my new remote I now have to use the key all the time. When I turn the key once, the driver's door unlocks, turn it again and the remaining doors unlock. I can only then open the boot by pressing the growler at the rear or pressing the switch on the dash. For some reason, my key will not open the boot! (It's not the valet key).
If I try to lock the car with the boot open, then I get a warning sound. Same when I used to use the remote when I'd left the boot unlocked Do you?
You've realised I know that your big problem here is that seemingly the car's system does not know when your boot is open or not. I don't know where the contact sensor switch is located in the boot area, but I am assuming the one switch activates the boot lights and the warning light, so if the boot lights come on but the warning light doesn't, that pretty much rules out the contact switch being faulty.
Presume you've switched on the ignition, gone to the boot and worked it up and down again whilst watching the dash to see if the light comes on?
Sorry, not much help to your problem, but some auto electrician must have some clue!
Thanks for the reply Biffta. Are you in the US? If you are I think Jaguar changed the way the car opens for different markets, I'm in the UK. The lights on the boot that light the number plate are working. I will check at night to see if the lights in the boot are working, if they are then some of the wires to the lock must be working.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the reply Biffta. Are you in the US? If you are I think Jaguar changed the way the car opens for different markets, I'm in the UK. The lights on the boot that light the number plate are working. I will check at night to see if the lights in the boot are working, if they are then some of the wires to the lock must be working.
I'm in Spain, where I bought the car some 7 years ago BUT it is an import from the US and therefore has US spec.
Don't see why you have to wait until night to check the boot interior lights. Just open it and see if they come on!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Checked the boot today, the boot lights do not come on. The only light I can see that works is the off-side number-plate light.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Checked the boot today, the boot lights do not come on. The only light I can see that works is the off-side number-plate light.
Possible, but unlikely I think, that the boot light bulbs have gone, so that means either the wiring or the contact switch. This switch may simply be stuck, so what I'd like to know from someone is where is this switch located exactly?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 AM

Why not go to a Jaguar dealer and ask? I'm over 100Km away from one, but in the UK you must have one to go to. They will have all the info' re' wiring and surely can pinpoint the location of the sensor switch for the boot opening?
The wire(s) may have simply come off the switch or a quick squirt of WD 40 on it may do the trick!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Default Boot lights

Atann, I had a similar problem on my car and, as someone said up above, it was all down to the wiring loom cracking near the r/h hinge. Neither the boot remote (interior) or growler head buttons worked, just the key, and the boot lights in the lid didn't work. Sounds like the wire may be cracked, but sometimes connecting still. It wasn't expensive for me to have fixed - any mechanic who knows these cars knows how to do it - it's about as common as faulty clocks but much easier/cheaper to fix!