XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Two Cylinders Not Firing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Two Cylinders Not Firing

After some investigation I have found that the two cylinders nearest the firewall are not igniting. They are not receiving fuel.

The coils are good, I have tried brand new ones in place of the old and get the same results. New sparkplugs as well.

The only codes I am receiving are misfire codes and egr flow codes.

Fuel Pump?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If they're not receieving fuel, then it sounds like an injector fault, the fact that it's two at the same time points to a wiring fault, check the feed wires to those two injectors, make sure you're getting a signal at the connectors, also check the wiring back for damage/corrosion.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:47 PM

I switched out the injectors with ones I knew to be good, so it is not them, but I have not checked the wiring fully. That's next. Thanks!

Originally Posted by xjs36uk
If they're not receieving fuel, then it sounds like an injector fault, the fact that it's two at the same time points to a wiring fault, check the feed wires to those two injectors, make sure you're getting a signal at the connectors, also check the wiring back for damage/corrosion.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Also, at the time that the fault began in the car the Fuel Consumption indicator told me that my range was only 47 mi, but I had a half a tank. Normally this is a pretty good gas mileage vehicle. 26mpg on the interstate.

This all happened simultaneously. I keep the fuel management display on the range setting.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Check the fuel rail for blockage.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 PM

Ok, no blockage in the fuel rail. I had a spare FPR valve, so I switched it out just to see.

Cylinders #5 and #6 are not working. The coils are new, they ignite the plugs. I've tried them outside the cylinder just to see.

There is a strong gas smell coming from the exhaust, so apparently gas is making it into the cylinder.

There is just no combustion on those two cylinders.

Any suggestions now????

Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default misfire in cyls five and six

If you are confident that you have fuel and ignition checvk to see if you have compression in the two rear holes. The odor of gasoline in the exhaust is concerning. There is always the possibility of ignition in the exhaust system which may result in a detonation in your checkbook.
If compression is low in the rear two bores you might try just an ounce of atf or light weight motor oil in those cylinders. Sometimes gasoline will wash the bores resulting in poor sealing with the compression rings Spinj the engine just enough to distribute the oil in the bores and re-check compression. If it is up (assuming it was low to begin with) screw in the plugs and replace the coils and give it a whirl.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

Hi Jack,
You description suggests that cylinders 5 and 6 stopped working suddenly and that this did not happen after previously working on the car. Had this problem started after you had had the coils disconnected from the harness, i would suggest that you might have got the connections for coils 5 and 6 back to front. The two sets of wires will reach the wrong coils. If the wires get mixed up then neither cylinder will run because the spark plug will fire at completely the wrong point in the 4 stroke cycle. However, if this is not the case in your instance then i would check for damage to the harness or water ingress to the ECU connectors.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:03 PM

I am going to switch the connectors just to see. There was a place during the original inspection where that could possibly have happened.

Aside from that, what is the compression supposed to be for each cylinder after 4 revolutions?

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Hi Jack,
You description suggests that cylinders 5 and 6 stopped working suddenly and that this did not happen after previously working on the car. Had this problem started after you had had the coils disconnected from the harness, i would suggest that you might have got the connections for coils 5 and 6 back to front. The two sets of wires will reach the wrong coils. If the wires get mixed up then neither cylinder will run because the spark plug will fire at completely the wrong point in the 4 stroke cycle. However, if this is not the case in your instance then i would check for damage to the harness or water ingress to the ECU connectors.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM

I feel like such an idiot. The #5 and #6 wire were switched. I don't know how or when it happened, but they were.

Now I guess I need to change the oil since it is infused with gasoline.

D@^^n I feel stupid!!!

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Hi Jack,

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJ
I feel like such an idiot. The #5 and #6 wire were switched. I don't know how or when it happened, but they were.

Now I guess I need to change the oil since it is infused with gasoline.

D@^^n I feel stupid!!!

HA! Don't feel stupid. We've all been there. In the world of auto repair flub-ups, that's pretty minor :-).

One day I'll confess to a few of my whoppers!

Cheers
DD