XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Under dash rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:52 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Under dash rattle

My X300 has recently developed a very intrusive metallic sounding rattle behind the drivers side (RHS) dash when travelling over bumps. It sounds lower down almost in the footwell.

I've removed the trim and footwell vents, which were all properly secured so the blower motor housing is now exposed. Nothing appears to be loose behind the dash that would be causing the noise so I'm suspecting it's coming from within the blower assembly.

The AC system is working perfectly but is there any metallic part that could be bouncing around inside the blower assembly to cause a very loud and distinctive rattle while not impeding that actual performance of the blower?

Looks like I'll have to remove it just so see...

Thanks

Old 05-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Are you sure it isn't a suspension part that is telegraphing its rattle up through the firewall or steering column?

I've got a weird intermittent rattle that just developed that sounds like it is inside my center console, but I suspect is really either the transmission mount or front shock bushings.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:00 AM

Hi Al,

I had the whole front end rebuilt just over a year ago so hoping its nothing suspension related. Although the sound is a very light tinny metallic rattle I'm almost certain its inside.

That said I did check under the bonnet today and found the power steering reservoir was loose on its mounts and a brake line was rattling but after securing those still got the rattle. It's very intrusive on sharp bumps.

So I removed the blower motor hoping the rattle would be in there. No luck! And I've poked and prodded everything behind the dash now its out and still can't locate it.

I was thinking of pulling the instrument cluster but I think its lower down than that so will hold off for the moment as I've still got to drive it each day.

Cheers

Old 05-29-2016, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by marke
Hi Al,

I had the whole front end rebuilt just over a year ago so hoping its nothing suspension related. Although the sound is a very light tinny metallic rattle I'm almost certain its inside.

That said I did check under the bonnet today and found the power steering reservoir was loose on its mounts and a brake line was rattling but after securing those still got the rattle. It's very intrusive on sharp bumps.

So I removed the blower motor hoping the rattle would be in there. No luck! And I've poked and prodded everything behind the dash now its out and still can't locate it.

I was thinking of pulling the instrument cluster but I think its lower down than that so will hold off for the moment as I've still got to drive it each day.

Cheers
The instrument pack is very easy to pull, and whilst I doubt it it responsible, it would let you see into another part of the dash area, and would eliminate something else from the list.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:59 AM

Do you know if the car is driveable with the instrument pack out?

I've driven my XJS many times without the instrument panel plugged in but the X300 electrics are another generation ahead and I don't want to confuse/blow an ECU or some other important component!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by marke
Hi Al,

Cheers
The sound you describe is the same as that made by the chrome ash-tray-door cover in the rear doors when it falls off and disappears under the ash tray and into the door card. But I doubt you'd confuse that one with being under the dash, it is pretty evident that it is somewhere aft of you while driving.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
The sound you describe is the same as that made by the chrome ash-tray-door cover in the rear doors when it falls off and disappears under the ash tray and into the door card. But I doubt you'd confuse that one with being under the dash, it is pretty evident that it is somewhere aft of you while driving.
Glad to hear I am not the only one that had to re-glue my chrome cover!

Good luck on the search! I know how trying to find an elusive rattle can be maddening. Although it is sometimes really funny when you find it was something simple like a penny that slid down and up against the seat rail, and you've taken the whole car apart

I've got something rolling back and forth between the LH A and B pillar over the window frame in the roof, maybe a fastener or piece of hard plastic. Every time I accelerate... roll roll back to the B pillar.... then brake ... roll roll up to the A. Then it will get stuck for a month, and I'll forget such that I don't pull the trim. Then it gets to rolling again

Here's my current mystery rattle thread too:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-front-157345/

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-29-2016 at 10:43 AM.