XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

vibration when go from 3 to 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibration when go from 3 to 4

Hello

I am new here and i am from the netherlands.
i have a Jaguar X300 3,2 6 cilinder with the ZF 4HP22 transmission from 1996 and offcourse i have a problem.

the problem is when i drive in the first 3 gears no problem but when i shift from 3 to 4 i hear a lite vibration that i can also feel in the steering wheel.
I changed the oil and filter 6 months ago.

I read in an manual for the ZF 4HP24 that when there "Is shudder felt through steering wheel at 3-4 shift then Install rear suspension monostrut" can that be the problem with my X300 or is it maybe the lockup from the torque converter??

Is there someone who has the same problems or maybe knows what this is..

Many Thanks

Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

I have never heard of that monostrut, but that does not mean it does not exist obviously.

The 3 to 4 shift is NOT the lockup, UNLESS, it is at about 80KPH, which is when the lockup generally occurs.

The shudder still sounds like a fluid issue. As in neglected fluid over time has gummed up the valve body. Since these are a NON electronic transmission, the innards are basic by comparison, and significantly more forgiving.

Was the fluid you drained recently grubby (dirty) and/or smelly?

Mine had shudders and odd change points when I first got it. I did numerous fluid drop and refills, using the fill tube nut to drain it (mine has no drain plug), and then simply refilling, and then doing it all again in about 200kms. I used, and still do, Full Synthetic ATF, in ALL the Jag transmissions.

It is now smooth, and the shifts are virtually undetectable, including the lockup, which was rather harsh.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I have never heard of that monostrut, but that does not mean it does not exist obviously.

The 3 to 4 shift is NOT the lockup, UNLESS, it is at about 80KPH, which is when the lockup generally occurs.

The shudder still sounds like a fluid issue. As in neglected fluid over time has gummed up the valve body. Since these are a NON electronic transmission, the innards are basic by comparison, and significantly more forgiving.

Was the fluid you drained recently grubby (dirty) and/or smelly?

Mine had shudders and odd change points when I first got it. I did numerous fluid drop and refills, using the fill tube nut to drain it (mine has no drain plug), and then simply refilling, and then doing it all again in about 200kms. I used, and still do, Full Synthetic ATF, in ALL the Jag transmissions.

It is now smooth, and the shifts are virtually undetectable, including the lockup, which was rather harsh.
it occurs around 80km/h and when i drive harder so around 140 km/h it is praticley gone, and only from 3 to 4 gear.
if i drive 90 km/h and i feel the vibrations and i put it in Neutral it;s gone but when i put it back in Drive it's back.
When i drive i 3 gear and i drive 90km/h there is no problem.
Also when the engine is cold it vibrates less but as soon as it get's warm the vibration is back.

Not really it whas darker than normal but not smelly and grubby.

Is there a way to get the fluid out through the filling opening?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

OK, definately some contamination of the fluid, kind of normal I suppose.

These are a 4 speed, plus lock up, so the 80kph "gearchange" under normal throttle, is the convertor locking up, the car would already be in 4th gear at about 65kph, under that same throttle setting.

That vibration, and the elimination you have done, sounds terribly like a convertor breaking up.

I doubt that the numerous oil drop and refills will sort it, but if it were mine, I would be giving it a go. About 6 to 8 will be sufficient to increase the "good fluid" concentration into the high 90% mark.

Simply undo the large nut arrangement on the filler tube, and let it drain, about 4ltrs, retighten, refill.

A decent suction pump thingy will be able to suck it out of the fill tube from the top if you have one.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Thumbs up

Ok i will try the fluid change and see iff there is any aprovement.
I will keep you posted about this.

thanx

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (10-16-2013)