XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What would you do - idler pulley bolt snaps

Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM
RBA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do - idler pulley bolt snaps

I was changing th fan belt and the idler pulley bolt snapped the head of the bolt right off. This happened after installation of the new belt. Any suggestions on how to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
RBA

Untensioning the belt I was able to remove the pulley and tensioner. My local dealer ordered the block and bolt for me and it will be here tomorrow. I took some pics and will post it in case it ever helps someone else. Although the other belt looks ok, I'm going to replace it since I'm already in their.

Just need to figure out how to reduce the tension off the belt.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RBA
Untensioning the belt I was able to remove the pulley and tensioner. My local dealer ordered the block and bolt for me and it will be here tomorrow. I took some pics and will post it in case it ever helps someone else. Although the other belt looks ok, I'm going to replace it since I'm already in their.

Just need to figure out how to reduce the tension off the belt.
PB Blaster (way better than WD40) is the best stuff I've found to spray potentially stubborn bolts, and nuts, and so on, before removing them.

When you state, "... how to reduce the tension off the belt", what are you really stating? That you don't want as much tension as should be? Or are you still having an issue loosening a bolt to reduce the tension to remove a belt?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

When reinstalling the bolt use some never seez (or similar product) on the bolt, it wont let the bolt rust solid. Also works great on lug nuts.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:14 AM
RBA

Originally Posted by caldercay
PB Blaster (way better than WD40) is the best stuff I've found to spray potentially stubborn bolts, and nuts, and so on, before removing them.

When you state, "... how to reduce the tension off the belt", what are you really stating? That you don't want as much tension as should be? Or are you still having an issue loosening a bolt to reduce the tension to remove a belt?
Thanks for the advice gents!

Regarding my statement about reducing the tension off the belt; I'm referring to the other belt that runs around the alternator. I already loosened the nuts on the tensioner, both top and bottom and I still don't have enough slack to remove the belt?!? There must be a trick to this...

Old 08-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Mine's an XJR so I can't swear it's the same mounting as yours, but.....

For the alternator belt I have to unbolt the threaded adjuster rod entirely. The alternator swings in an arc, as you know, and fouls against the adjuster rod, inhibiting full movement.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Well if it the same system as my 92, then loosen the alternator pivot bolt a little so that the alternator can actually move. Or if it is the AC belt, then you will need to loosen the compressor pivot bolt. (for the AC you will be under the car)

Agreed, replace both belts at the same time, peace of mind, and only do the job once.

Replace your belts and bits.

Set your tension correctly.

When setting the tension, After slacking off the 2 nuts as you have done, I tend to use a short tyre lever to manually pull the alternator/pump and get it into position with approx tension before spinning up the tension nut to finish.

And then lock down the pivot bolt to stop the alternator/pump moving. (keep a spanner on the tension nut whilst you are doing this so that you can adjust, in case the alternator/pump moves when you tighten the bolt.

Finally tighten the lock nut.

Check your tension is still good. (if not, then repeat, you'll get the hang of it).

If you don't loosen the bolt, then all you will do when winding on the tensioner is risk breaking it.

The alternator/pump needs to be free to move for you to tension the belt. (pretty much the same on any vehicle belt driven application, the alternator, PS pump, AC, whatever, needs to be able to pivot for you to be able to tension or remove a belt).