XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Window Problem and speaker

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window Problem and speaker

Wow its been awhile since I needed to post anything asking for help, guess thats a good thing though.

Alright so last Friday I was driving about and I rolled both my front windows down. When I stopped at the office I rolled them back up however only the driver's side worked, the passenger remained down. Since it was a nice day I left it until I went home, and when I got home I took a better look at the whole situation.

When I have power to the car's electronics and press the "up" button for the passenger window I can here a click from the door on the passenger's side but the window doesn't go up
I took the door panel off and felt the motor and it was too hot to even touch, so I unplugged it and let it cool down. When it was cool I plugged the motor in again and tried but it didn't work.

I unplugged the motor again and took a spare battery and alligator clamps and applied direct power to the motor and it work!

So I put the door panel back on and have left the motor unplugged until I can figure out this problem.

I noticed yesterday that driver control for the passenger window feels like its stuck in the down position...However with very light pressure I can depress it to make the passenger door control (though the motor is unplugged) make a clicking sound.

Do you guys think that its the switch that controls the window operation on the drivers side?

Also on a side note, does anyone know where I can find a subwoofer for my 96 VDP?

I've tried ebay and no one has one or they have tears in them. Also Jagbits is charging over $200 for one.

Many thanks guys and stay warm

cheers

Old 11-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Sticky window

I don't know a whole lot about the intricate workings of the window, but from a common sense/ process of elimination point I would suggest that yes, your door switch may have been stuck in the down position, running power to whatever solenoid/relay that operated the window, resulting in power running continuously to the window motor, resulting in it overheating.

Given that the motor worked when you applied direct power, the problem would seem to exist somewhere "before " the motor. Are there any micro switches that need to be tripped when the window reaches its' full travel? If so, it seems as though they arent doing their job. I'd start by removing the switch, cleaning and freeing it up as much as possible or replacing it, just to avoid any repetition. Then follow the circuit into the door, checking/cleaning/replacing any relays or solenoids you find along the way.

Sorry not to be more specific, but it's a good argument for running all moving parts through the motions on a regular basis, particularly those not often used, ie; rear windows, air con, especially in the winter,wipers/washers in the dry season, heaters likewise etc.

Best of luck with it.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_XJ6
Wow its been awhile since I needed to post anything asking for help, guess thats a good thing though.

Alright so last Friday I was driving about and I rolled both my front windows down. When I stopped at the office I rolled them back up however only the driver's side worked, the passenger remained down. Since it was a nice day I left it until I went home, and when I got home I took a better look at the whole situation.

When I have power to the car's electronics and press the "up" button for the passenger window I can here a click from the door on the passenger's side but the window doesn't go up
I took the door panel off and felt the motor and it was too hot to even touch, so I unplugged it and let it cool down. When it was cool I plugged the motor in again and tried but it didn't work.

I unplugged the motor again and took a spare battery and alligator clamps and applied direct power to the motor and it work!

So I put the door panel back on and have left the motor unplugged until I can figure out this problem.

I noticed yesterday that driver control for the passenger window feels like its stuck in the down position...However with very light pressure I can depress it to make the passenger door control (though the motor is unplugged) make a clicking sound.

Do you guys think that its the switch that controls the window operation on the drivers side?

Also on a side note, does anyone know where I can find a subwoofer for my 96 VDP?

I've tried ebay and no one has one or they have tears in them. Also Jagbits is charging over $200 for one.

Many thanks guys and stay warm

cheers
I have a Jaguar Subwoofer Siting on my desk at home. PM me and we can figure something out?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks sogood for the information, I'll give that a go this weekend. I really appreciate the insight.

Chavid92 I sent you a PM