XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Wiring for adjustable headlight height already in place?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Wiring for adjustable headlight height already in place?

Does anyone know if the wiring and connectors in the harness at the clock and at the headlights are already in place for cars that didn't come with the adjustable headlight height/angle already installed?

I suspect it is, as I've found a 3 or 4 wire connector up by the headlights that is unused.

So I wonder if I get the two motors, and just replace my clock module with one that includes the adjuster if it will be plug-and-play.

Definitely not an important modification, just thought it might be fun to tinker with since I've seen the used motors online very cheap as well as clocks with the "adjuster knob".

I have attached a photo of the clock with this function for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring for adjustable headlight height already in place?-xj-clock-headlight-adjust.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

The adjustable headlights were never offered on U.S. cars so I would doubt there would be connections within the harness. I believe there were different harnesses used for different markets,depending on certain options available. There may be some way to determine if Jaguar used different part numbers for their harnesses and if they did then chances are it won't work.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Good point.

One thought, if someone in Europe with the adjustable headlights can snap a picture of the connector to the adjuster motor at the headlight bracket I can then see if it is the same connector that is unused on my harness.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The wiring is all there but you need some parts. (I acquired mine from a salvage yard in the UK):

-centre-console control cluster with the headlight leveler (this was the hardest for me to acquire, as I have heated seats; ended up acquiring a unit with a non-working LCD clock and repairing it by soldering a new ribbon wire to the LCD clock)
-need two actuators that control the level function of the headlights (part #JLM12117)
-and a headlamp assembly (because the non-dimming headlamp assemblies are a little different--to accommodate the actuators)

If you buy a complete assembly off of eBay, you might get the whole assembly with the actuators (like I did)

But since in Canada we have traffic on the RH, the headlights themselves are angled in such a way as to prevent blinding the oncoming traffic; you will have to replace the headlights from your car onto the acquired headlamp assembly (unless you can get one from a non-UK European country, then it should be all good)

I wish I could show you some pictures but mine is temporarily mothballed These links will have to do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headla...directionality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-...t-hand_traffic

Headlamp Assembly - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Thanks, that is fantastic information, and for confirming the wiring and control question as I thought the wiring might be already there

I too would have to be on the lookout for the clock module with heated seats and the headlight level control which I've also noticed is a more rare combination.

A couple questions though:

1) When I look at Jaguar Classic Parts, they show UK "Headlight Dim/Dip" and "Headlight Leveling" as two different options, but the part number LNA4600AL is the same. So I don't know if "Dim/Dip" and "Leveling" is something different or the same thing just with different names?

2) You mention that the headlight bracket/frames are different if the leveling motors are added, but I can't see a different part number for them and I've never noticed the difference when looking at them. The frames are definitely different for the X300 and X308 headlights because the "city" or "running" light is moved to the inboard lamp on the X308, but it appeared to me that one just removed one of the headlight mounting pins by twisting it out and twisting in the motor into its place. Can you describe how the frames are different and what to look for? I am replacing my X300 headlights with X308 headlights now, so I've already got non-adjustable X308 frames and headlights ready to go.

Thanks again for the additional information.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
1) When I look at Jaguar Classic Parts, they show UK "Headlight Dim/Dip" and "Headlight Leveling" as two different options, but the part number LNA4600AL is the same. So I don't know if "Dim/Dip" and "Leveling" is something different or the same thing just with different names?

2) You mention that the headlight bracket/frames are different if the leveling motors are added, but I can't see a different part number for them and I've never noticed the difference when looking at them. The frames are definitely different for the X300 and X308 headlights because the "city" or "running" light is moved to the inboard lamp on the X308, but it appeared to me that one just removed one of the headlight mounting pins by twisting it out and twisting in the motor into its place. Can you describe how the frames are different and what to look for? I am replacing my X300 headlights with X308 headlights now, so I've already got non-adjustable X308 frames and headlights ready to go.
No worries

As for your questions:
1) I don't know what the deal is there but it seems to be consistent for every listed option. Maybe it has something to do with the models that had self-leveling suspension? You could ask them via email; they are pretty helpful

2) You can see the different part numbers if, for example, you click on the "USA" option and compare numbers from that with the "Except USA" option. (The "Except USA" is just a generic option for all LHD cars that had the actuated headlights. As can be seen by looking at the "Except Japan", "Except Canada", etc option. This is probably to accommodate the offset headlights--so as to not blind oncoming traffic)

The non-actuated headlight mountings have plastic knobs to set them at a specific height. But the actuated ones have a different opening to accommodate the actuators (please see attached photo--I found one on my phone.)

I don't have a picture of my own non-actuated headlights but I found an eBay listing for one:

95-97 Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 X300 X308 RH Passenger side headlight assembly OEM Right

If you look at the 5th photo, you can see how the plastic knob has a different (and much smaller) opening. I suppose you could cut a bigger hole (well a star shaped hole) and try to squeeze in the actuators and save yourself the headache of acquiring a new set

Attached Thumbnails Wiring for adjustable headlight height already in place?-headlights.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

... ah, I see. I'll have to take a look at my X308 brackets and see how that hole is configured.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Great thread and information, I may have just opened up this can of worms myself, I've acquired a complete set of X308 headlights with backing mounts (as discussed on another thread started by al) that have come complete with actuator motors.
As I'm intending to install these into my 95 X300 I have come to the same predicament. Are the X308 head lights with actuators, backwards compatible with the X300?
At first glance, I'm guessing I could just leave the motors unplugged and set them manually as there appears to be an adjustment *** on the rear of the motors.
What was the end result of your tinkering Al

Last edited by MikeyB10; 07-12-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I've not pursued this any further, so no update on if this would be plug & play.

As you suggest, I don't think you would have any issue installing them as-is with the actuator motors in place, just unplugged, then manually adjust.

If you do get them hooked up and working, it will be interesting to hear what you find though.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger

About dim-dip; I figured it out! It was a leftover from a UK regulation. More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...#Dim-dip_lamps

Interesting stuff.