XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Wont always shift into gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wont always shift into gear?

I own a 1995 vanden plas. just recently the car has started to not always shift into gear (shifter is stuck) when i first start up the car. I dont always hear the click when i hit the break. im thinking it is a brake light switch but is there a way to confirm this so i dont end up ordering the wrong part? also since its a 1995 will the need the wireharness? also does anyone have a step by step procedure to replace this part?

Thanks,
Chase

Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

The click comes from the release solenoid....which is operated by the switch...so it could be the switch or the solenoid.

On mine the clue pointing towards the switch was the fact that whenever I couldn't shift out of park I lost brake lights at the same time....but that's not a conclusive test.

If you have a test light or metter the switch can be checked.

The new switches are an updated design so if your switch is the old style you'll need the harness or you'll need to adapt the wiring....which wouldn't be too hard. The harness is stupid-expensive for what you're getting but it saves the trouble of cutting and splicing.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Chavid92 (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The click comes from the release solenoid....which is operated by the switch...so it could be the switch or the solenoid.

On mine the clue pointing towards the switch was the fact that whenever I couldn't shift out of park I lost brake lights at the same time....but that's not a conclusive test.

If you have a test light or metter the switch can be checked.

The new switches are an updated design so if your switch is the old style you'll need the harness or you'll need to adapt the wiring....which wouldn't be too hard. The harness is stupid-expensive for what you're getting but it saves the trouble of cutting and splicing.

Cheers
DD
Ok thanks, ill test it with a meter. Yea i was thinking i could probly do that for a wireharness (i mean 65 bucks really?)

Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 AM

well today had someone go and look behind the car while i pressed the breaks to see if i had break lights and i they were intermittent. where should i order the break light switch from? partsgeek has it for $65 anyone know of a place where they have it for less?
Thanks,
Chase

Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

You might wanna try Coventry West, Motorcars Ltd or another of the usual Jag suppliers and ask what pricing they have

$65 sounds about typical, though

Cheers
DD

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM

well took the part off yesturday and sprayed the wireharness with some contact cleaner just for kicks pluged it back it and got nothing at all. Then before decideding to order a new one i figured i would plug it back in and try it on more time and it worked consistantly. Now i am questioning myself if i should order a new one. It seemed that maybe a wire was loose from the harness (the upper one that is harder to reach) as every time it was not working when i would stick my hand on the back of the harness it would seem to start working. Unfortunately/(maybe fortunately) it was being so consistant at that time i couldnt till if it was coincidence or not. i also cant find my working multimeter. what do you all think?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Chavid92
i also cant find my working multimeter. what do you all think?
In these situations...I normally blame the wife or kids for having messed with it and demand they make it reappear! Based on where I keep my meter...I'd start with the kids.....

Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
In these situations...I normally blame the wife or kids for having messed with it and demand they make it reappear! Based on where I keep my meter...I'd start with the kids.....
hahahaha im 18 and its technically my fathers meter. Guess who got blamed for it being misplaced

Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 PM

well just decided to put it back on as it was working. Itll probly need to be replaced now cause thats just how it goes lol but for now the jag, me, and my wallet are content.