XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Won't enter key fob learning mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't enter key fob learning mode

I hope someone can help please. Getting frustrated with my 95 sovereign .
It just will NOT enter learning modefor the key fobs. Tried all methods and getting nowhere.
It did do it a couple of times few months ago when trying to get the old fob it came with connected up. But i put the lack of operation down to old broken fobs and got a couple of 2nd hand ones off ebay.
Now when trying to get car into learning mode it just will not do it. No chirps, no headlight flashes, nothing.
its mocking me!

on top of that, the key wont unlock in drivers door now, only passenger door. I think it needs new barrel but thats a different problem!

any ideas folks??? Really struggling here....

Old 12-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

I struggled with the same thing on my 97 XJR. It went into learning mode once or twice, then wouldn't do it again. In frustration, I got out, started to walk away, hit the remote, and it chirped! It acted weird two or three days, wouldn't work off and on. Replaced the battery in the remote, and its worked perfectly ever since. The one aggravating thing for me is that if I hut the small button 3 times, even not at the same time, it will pop the truck. Meaning that if I forget to lock it, then walk out and hit the unlock button, without hitting the lock button, it pops the trunk.

The first time I activated learning mode, it chirped as described. After that, I just kept pressing the valet button repeatedly. Keep working at it.

BTW, I bought my remote off of eBay as well.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

You need to 'rock' the VALET switch 5 times with the boot and driver's door open.

I have had difficulty with the switch at times and just rock the switch FAST up to 10 times and then try SLOW 10 times and finally get the BEEP to signal learning mode.

I have had to remove the console cubby and actually 'short' the VALET switch contacts when a switch failed a time or 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the boot lid OR door latch switch fails then you will NEVER get to learn mode. Make sure that the interior lights illuminate when the door is opened and the boot lights also illuminate when the lid is opened.

All the switches need to operate to get to the mode you need.
The keyfob transmitters will also need to work once the vehicle enters 'learn-mode'.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
NTL1991 (12-18-2014)
Old 11-25-2023, 08:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Going through same issue. Would not get any chirps from the car. No indication of programming mode. Dash lock button would not do anything. Key in drivers door would only lock or unlock drivers door. Doors would not lock when car was put in drive. No indication of an alarm system on car. Narrowed it down to a faulty chirping speaker (behind passengers headlight) or the security control module (located beside fuel inlet tube in the trunk) i bought used spares from a junkyard. Installed the security control module and now I can lock/unlock all doors from key in the driver's door. When all does lock, car goes into armed alarm mode. Lock button on dash now works. I can now get the chirp letting me know I'm in fob programming mode. Life is much lovelier but now have an issue that the security system is not getting a signal from my key fobs. In programming mode, I press the lock button on the fob but after 15 seconds, car leaves programming mode with a double chirp due to not receiving a signal from one of my fobs.