XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998-2003 Jaguar XJ X308 pdf (Mac and PC) Workshop Repair Manual

Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1998-2003 Jaguar XJ X308 pdf (Mac and PC) Workshop Repair Manual

1998-2003 JAGUAR XJ (X308) Workshop Repair Manual available in PDF Format for $25
Covers all models including Vanden Plas, Executive, Sovereign, Sport and XJR with 3.2L V8, 4.0L V8 and 4.0L V8 Supercharged Engines.

Comprises 2462 pages divided into 7 sections which are bookmarked for easy navigation:
1 : General Information
2 : Chassis
3 : Powertrain1
4 : Powertrain2
5 : Powertrain3
6 : Electrical
7 : Body and Paint

PDF’s can be viewed/printed on both PC. (including Windows 7 with 64 bit systems)and Apple Mac with Adobe Reader.
Issued via Remote Server Download links

A couple of members have already purchased and Sinister 1 reported:

“I did the download today and it works like a charm. It took me about 20 minutes to download all 7 files.
and at least on my Apple / Mac it's searchable. Plus you can read it on anything that can read a pdf like smartphones, Ipads, tablet computers...
Working on my car just got a whole lot easier.”

Paypal only. PM for further details

Last edited by iguide; 11-10-2011 at 08:37 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by iguide:
carloszamorano (07-16-2012), jimlombardi (05-06-2011), Rockstar (06-26-2011), Sean B (05-05-2011), Shybal Olufade-Balogun (05-03-2020)
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iguide
1998-2003 JAGUAR XJ (X308) Workshop Repair Manual available in PDF Format for $25
PDF’s created from TOPIx website in Jan/Feb this year. (TOPIx superseded the JTIS disks-2005 V21 was the last one)
Covers all models including Vanden Plas, Executive, Sovereign, Sport and XJR with 3.2L V8, 4.0L V8 and 4.0L V8 Supercharged Engines.

Comprises 2462 pages divided into 7 sections which are bookmarked for easy navigation:
4 : Powertrain2"

PDF’s can be viewed/printed on both PC. (including Windows 7 with 64 bit systems)and Apple Mac with Adobe Reader.

“I did the download today and it works like a charm. It took me about 20 minutes to download all 7 files.
and at least on my Apple / Mac it's searchable. Plus you can read it on anything that can read a pdf like smartphones, Ipads, tablet computers...

I want to order your 7 part PDF manual. How do I go about paying you? Also I would like the PDF files sent to my email address?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

You need to send iguide a private message by going to https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...newpm&u=103789

To order and make payment you will need a paypal account.

Jim Lombardi

Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Independant feedback on this (from someone who has purchased it) would be appreciated... is it worth the money? Is it anything other than a compendium of JTIS pdf files?

Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I'll second Quad's request...

Old 06-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

From my knowlege, the TOPiX site was nothing more than the an on-line version of the JTIS that gets updates regularly. When you can buy a JTIS CD good through MY 2005 all models for $5 on FleaBay, I'm not sure I see the value here. Now if were available available for free, or nominal charge, then I would see no issue.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

there is a lot more on the topix sites worth a look...the training guides in particular are very very helpful and much of that info is not in the JTIS...also having the JTIS in PDF format is well worth...I like having the paper version of the JTIS as I can read it on my throne and my recliner

Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Default There might be some issues that need to be reviewed

Hello
I think this PDF Workshop Repair Manual that is made up of 7 PDF files would have been better as 1 large PDF file.

I think that it is probably ok to have 7 download files, but there should be a some kind of utility to combine all of the download files into 1 PDF after the download is completed.

Having 1 large PDF file would make easier to use the search function to find the problem's remedy information. Also any embeded PDF file links to other sections of the manual would reference just as another page within this single PDF.

Looking at the description of these 7 PDF files, the DTC (Dignostic Trouble Codes) PDF file and the Electrial Diagrams PDF file seem to be missing.

I have a subscription to Alldata for our 2001 XJ8. Most of the information is exactly the same instructions and illustrations as the JTIS21 CD Shop Repair Manual. But Alldata also gives the Standard Shop Hours, and Part Numbers. I would be very surprised if Topix (which is the basis for these 7 PDF files) is not also using the same exact information and illustrations.

I noticed 1 shortcoming with all these sources. There are some referenced service procedures that are dead links and have referenced section numbers that I cannot find within the JTIS21 Shop Repair Manual. When I say dead link I mean when you click on the reference link nothing happens, versus a live link to takes you to the referenced section.

Also there seems to be an assumption that the JTIS21 software is a bunch of PDF files. The JTIS21 is made up of what is called JTIS21 Viewer.

This Viewer is part of the program that goes out and loads the illustrations and instructions based on the First Selection of the Model and Model Year, then on the Text Navigator Section (Chassis) and SubSection (Front Suspension), then type of information (Removal & Installation), then Type of Repair (Ball Joint).

All this information is stored in Database Files.

The long presentation below is my attempt to illustrate how this software finds, retrieves and presents the JTIS information on your PC screen.

The name of the Data Folder is Data .

Here is a sub folder within the Data folder - jzj2001en (XJ 2001 english).

This is the first file (00-000.sgm) in the jzj2001en folder.
Here is part of its contents:
<!DOCTYPE isip PUBLIC "Ford//DTD ISIP//EN">
<?TAGLINK SECTREF "SECTION">
<?TAGLINK SECTREF "SECTION">
<?TAGLINK XSROLINK "SRO">
<?TAGLINK XSECTLINK "SECTION">
<isip langcode="en" version="1.50">
<system sysno="1">
<group grpno="00">
<section sectno="00">
<title>General Information</title>
<vapplic>2001.0 X300</vapplic>
<descop>
<proc id="G228055" langcode="en" sgmlid="G228055">
<title>General Service Information</title>
<procsub1>
<title>Safety Notice</title>
<para>Appropriate service methods and proper repair procedures are essential for the safe, reliable operation of all motor vehicles, as well as the safety of the person doing the work. This manual provides general directions for accomplishing service and repair work with tested, effective, techniques. Following them will help assure reliability.</para>

Here is another part of the contents of the file:
<para>The manual is organized into six groups covering generic aspects of the vehicle systems; the first digit of the section number represents a group selected from the following:</para>
<para>1. General Information.</para>
<para>2. Chassis.</para>
<para>3. Powertrain.</para>
<para>4. Electrical.</para>
<para>5. Body and Paint.</para>
<para>6. Routine Maintenance.</para>
<para>Each of the six groups comprises sections relating to specific areas of the vehicle.</para>
<para>The second and third digits of the section number indicate the vehicle system.</para>
<para>The last two digits of the section number define the system covered, more specifically.</para>
<para>Each section comprises one or more of the following sub-sections:</para>

There 3510 lines of information just in this 1 file.

Here is another file in this folder. It is 02-000.sgm.
First part of this file has a list of graphics:
<!DOCTYPE isip PUBLIC "Ford//DTD ISIP//EN" [
<!ENTITY E36397 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E36397.GIF" NDATA GIF>
<!ENTITY E36400 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E36400.GIF" NDATA GIF>
<!ENTITY E32530 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E32530.GIF" NDATA GIF>
<!ENTITY E32203 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E32203.GIF" NDATA GIF>
<!ENTITY E35108 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E35108.GIF" NDATA GIF>
<!ENTITY E36252 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E36252.GIF" NDATA GIF>
<!ENTITY E35139 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E35139.GIF" NDATA GIF>
<!ENTITY E36253 SYSTEM "..\GRAPHIC\E36253.GIF" NDATA GIF>

another part of this file has instructions:
<illus id="E36400" size="t1">
</toolillus>
<toolname>Engine Support Beam</toolname>
<toolnumb>303-021 (MS 53D)</toolnumb>
</sst>
<remove>
<caution>
<ptxt>Replacement of nuts and bolts: Various thread-locking devices are used on nuts and bolts throughout the vehicle. These devices restrict the number of times a nut or bolt can be used. See section <xsectlink>100-00</xsectlink> for information.</ptxt>
</caution>
<stepgrp>
<step>
<stxt>Position vehicle on a four-post lift.</stxt>
</step>
</stepgrp>
<stepgrp>
<step>
<stxt>Raise front of vehicle and support on stands.</stxt>
</step>
</stepgrp>
<stepgrp>
<step>
<stxt>Remove battery cover and disconnect ground cable from battery terminal. Refer to section <xsrolink>86.15.15</xsrolink>.</stxt>
</step>
</stepgrp>
<stepgrp>
<step>
<stxt>Open hood to service position, and fit covers to fenders.</stxt>
</step>
</stepgrp>
<stepgrp>
<illus id="E32530" size="s1">
<step>
<stxt>Remove both engine covers (normally aspirated vehicles only).</stxt>
<substepgrp><substep1 type="bullet">
<stxt>Release pegs.</stxt>
</substep1>
<substep1 type="bullet">
<stxt>Remove covers.</stxt>
</substep1>
</substepgrp></step>
</stepgrp>
<stepgrp>
<step>
<stxt>Remove air intake tube/meter/ cleaner cover assembly. Refer to 19.10.30</stxt>
</step>
</stepgrp>
<stepgrp>
<illus id="E32203" size="s1">
<step>
<stxt>Support weight of engine.</stxt>
<substepgrp><substep1 type="number">
<stxt>Position special tool 303-021 in RH and LH fender channels and tighten beam fixings.</stxt>
</substep1>
<substep1 type="number">
<stxt>Engage hooks in the engine front lifting eyes.</stxt>

This file has 3599 lines of instructions.

All of the illustrations are in the Graphic subfolder within the Data folder.
There are 13009 graphic files in the Graphic subfolder. These graphic files have file names that corresponds to the illustration id in the sgm type files (E36400.GIF):

Name:  E36400.GIF
Views: 3893
Size:  2.4 KB

E32202.GIF

1998-2003 Jaguar XJ X308 pdf (Mac and PC) Workshop Repair Manual-e32203.jpg

Most of the PDF files I put in forum threads are PDF files I create from the JTIS software by using the print to file feature. It is just like sending the information to your printer, except it goes to a special print function that creates a PDF file.

I then edit the PDF file to move some of the information from one page to another. The editing brings down the number of pages by removing some of the excess space in the margins and the space between text and illustrations.

I also use the PDF compression feature in my PDF editor to reduce the size of these PDF files.

I hope this information is helpful and gives a better understanding on how the software works.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 06-19-2011 at 10:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
shayamanzi (04-15-2013), test point (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The DTC codes and Electrical Wiring Diagrams are widely available and can prob. be found on this site? That said, including them and combining all as one large file is a not problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Default Here is a comparison showing the exact information

Quadmanic
I looked up the removal and installation of the Raditor Shield Guard, then I created a PDF files from the information found in both the JTIS21 software and in my subscription to Alldata DIY.

You will see they have the exact information (Reference numbers, Graphic IDs, instructions and illustrations):

2001 xj8 Radiator Splash Shield JTIS21.pdf

2001 xj8 Radiator Splash Shield Alldata .pdf

I like to have someone who has purchased the PDF Workshop Repair Manual, compare this Raditor Shield Guard information in the above PDF files with the information in the PDF Workshop Repair Manual.

Then make a post in this thread showing the result of the comparison.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 06-20-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Independant feedback on this (from someone who has purchased it) would be appreciated... is it worth the money? Is it anything other than a compendium of JTIS pdf files?
I bought it. I have no complaints.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just downloaded it. EXTREMELY thorough. awesome purchase IMO. Thanks again!!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Quadmanic
I looked up the removal and installation of the Raditor Shield Guard, then I created a PDF files from the information found in both the JTIS21 software and in my subscription to Alldata DIY.

You will see they have the exact information (Reference numbers, Graphic IDs, instructions and illustrations):

Attachment 11257

Attachment 11253

I like to have someone who has purchased the PDF Workshop Repair Manual, compare this Raditor Shield Guard information in the above PDF files with the information in the PDF Workshop Repair Manual.

Then make a post in this thread showing the result of the comparison.

Jim Lombardi

Don't kno how to post it but just looked it up and it is identical. to the letter.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Hi
The answer is Yes there is information about getting the engine with the gearbox attached out of an XJR.
This PDF Repair manual was created from the TOPIX subscription that Iguild had a subscription for it.

The removal of the Engine and Transmission is also documented in the Jaguar Shop Manual (JTIS21) looks like XJ8 (NA) & XJR (Supercharged) have the same instructions and illustrations. There seems to be no additional instructions for the XJR Engine removal.

The Jaguar XJ PDF files in the thread is the same information as in the JTIS21 that can be downloaded on this forum. The only difference that the JTIS21 is an application software that has to be installed and this PDF requires none else then an Adobe PDF reader.

It is in the JTIS21 Model Selection XJ series - Model Year 1998 - Section 3 Engine, sub section Removal (12,41,01).

Here is the weblink to the sticky thread on the download:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...archive-65998/

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have the PDF available for a 1998 vanden plas?

Old 05-03-2020, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shyngle

I need the pdf manual how do I get this

Please how do I get the owner's manual to download?

Old 05-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Hello Shybal,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

The Workshop Manual is available in pdf format from the Jaguar Forums at the link below:

Jaguar X308 Workshop Manual

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
Roldano (05-04-2020), Shybal Olufade-Balogun (05-03-2020)
Old 07-19-2023, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 jaguar xj8 manual, where can I buy this asap?