XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 Jaguar XJ8/ Sunroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Jaguar XJ8/ Sunroof Problem

Hello Everyone, I'm very distressed about a minor occurrence I've discovered in my XJ8 today. The sunroof opens and closes like a beauty as it's supposed to. HOWEVER, after using the sunroof just today, I can see that "NOW" (As in, yesterday everything was perfect) part of the sunroof liner is missing. I will attach a link I found on google of my type of sunroof. http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutoria...eadliner/8.jpgObserve the sunroof: Now picture that the "smaller" piece of the sunroof seperated by a "seam" (You know what I mean) is now "missing". Well, at least, I'm not sure how to fix it. The metal is now bare in that area and I can see the sealed sunroof etc. My question is how to fix the headliner so that it will be all one piece again.???? Help...

Thanks...Leaper

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Jaguar XJ8/ Sunroof Problem

Looks like the edging has fallen off, it should be there somewhere so just find it and try to reattach it. It is simply pushed on and sometimes will come loose as it tends to lose it's grip after a few years. Has someone replaced the headliner recently?

You could probably buy it new from the dealer just get ready to pay for it.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Thanks so much for the info and reply. I bided my time for about an hour or so now (before you posted) and tried to figure out the situation myself and succeeded in putting that attachment back on to the main Sunroof. Have any idea what the figures would be for a new one, by chance?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

You have a Webasto sunroof. The part that is missing is broken loose from the side plastic connectors on the track mechanismand is on the track back in the headliner. You must get this piece pulled forward into position as it is the rain diverter for the rear of the sunroof, it gutters water to the sides. Just fish it out with a bent wire,you will have leaks into the interiorotherwise. You must replace both lift and tilt mechanisms to fix this as the plastic slideconnector only comes as a part of the mechanism. The unitsare about $175 per side for the part. I would recommend professional installation unless you can remove the headliner yourself.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I will add that if you are really, reallygood with glue and can find the tinypieces, you can glue the pieces back together, but you must rebend and reseat the metal attaching armsoutward very carefullyorthey will just bind on the plastic partsand break again. I hestiate to mention this kind of fix since the chances of success are not large.You could try gel super glue or JB Weld.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM

Now I get it and yes oldmots, I had the disappearing sunroof piece act going on in my XJR when I first bought it.

The inside of the car smelled like mildewed funk and my buddy told me it was probably in a Houston flood and I was pretty bummed for a few days until I figured out it was the sunroof and that it will leak like a sieve if that little piece is out of place. Once I started probing around in there I found the piece stuck all the way back in the tracks over the rear seat area. I was able to get it slid back forward and reattached it to the little arms and all is well. I did have to bend the arms a bit inward to get it to stay engaged, that was a bit unnerving to do as I worried about breaking them but they bent just enough and didn't break so that is that.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

ORIGINAL: chasman

Now I get it and yes oldmots, I had the disappearing sunroof piece act going on in my XJR when I first bought it.

The inside of the car smelled like mildewed funk and my buddy told me it was probably in a Houston flood and I was pretty bummed for a few days until I figured out it was the sunroof and that it will leak like a sieve if that little piece is out of place. Once I started probing around in there I found the piece stuck all the way back in the tracks over the rear seat area. I was able to get it slid back forward and reattached it to the little arms and all is well. I did have to bend the arms a bit inward to get it to stay engaged, that was a bit unnerving to do as I worried about breaking them but they bent just enough and didn't break so that is that.

IF YOURE IN HOUSTON THEN COME SEE ME AT MOMENTUM JAGUAR AND ILL FIX IT FOR YOU
BILL

Old 11-30-2008, 10:25 AM

Thanks Bill but I already got it straightened out. Funny thing as my car was originally sold down there at Momentum. I didn't buy it there myself though, got it at an auction.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof trim panel clips

You were right, my trim panel was inside the roof. After fishing it out it is not clear how it was connected to the forward section of the sunroof. Can anyone help with a detailed view of the components in this area? I have only found this diagram here: http://www.jaguarpartscenter.com

There is just not enough detail, photos of a working sunroof would help, showing the roof in the tilted up position exposing the link between the trim panel and the sunroof.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Same Problem

Hi All,

I was also missing the sunroof "Gutter" when I bought my car. My mechanic couldn't find the piece in the roof, so I bought a new one $300. It didn't come with any connecting pieces so I cant open my roof without it moving away from the main roof. My mechanic works mostly on MB, and cannot get any answers from Jaguar. Does anyone have a photo or good diagram of the pieces I need to connect it so I can use it before winter?

Thanks in advance,

RIXJ8

Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Default Same problem

I had exactly this same problem with my 2002 XJR100 so it seems like a very common bug. I wonder if they fixed this on later models.

As per the recommendation I managed to find the "missing" panel with a bent wire and slid it forward so its in the right place but not connected so I can't use the sunroof without having to fish out the panel again - but then I live in Buffalo and the days on which I actually could usefuly use a sunroof are limited!!!

BTW- I am from Britain where cars have sun roofs I came to the US and now cars have moon roofs - what's that all about?!?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I have some advise for bending the cast arm to connect the pin to the plastic guide, DON'T!! The cast arm is brittle and will break if too much bend is applied!! It is easier to bend the steel pin. Pull the Sliding roof panel off and bend the fulcrum pin for the arm pivot. I always put the arm pointing UP and get a pliers grip on the fulrum pin to bend it towards the plastic guide. The arm fully engages the guide and the cast arm does not break because I don't bend it!! Just something I do because I broke a cast arm onetime and had replace the entire 'tilt/slide mechanism'.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
dsetter (07-05-2016)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Thanks for info

8As to the moonroof question, I believe Lincoln used the term first on the Mark IV when they came out with the glass panel (1973?). The term is only correct when it is glass. Sunroof stilll applies for metal. See,were not so different across the pond after all. last weekend I spent 9 hours compounding, clay barring, and waxing Puss puss.this weekend I'm goingto have fun! .

RIXJ8

Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my head liner and ordered the tilt raise mechanism and the parts that hold the rear gutter did not come with them,so using a peace of stainless wire made one for each side. I think for any repair to the sun roof the head liner would half to be removed, and is easy job. As in the other reply you must get the rear gutter back into place because the seal is not water tight and water will enter the car. Good luck
Bill

Old 01-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Anyone have photos or diagrams how to fix this?

Old 01-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Anyone have photos or diagrams how to fix this?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for.
Mine was not broken, but slipped out regular while tilting the roof, mostly one side, sometimes both.
If that's your problem, I will snap a pic of what I did to solve it.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for.
Mine was not broken, but slipped out regular while tilting the roof, mostly one side, sometimes both.
If that's your problem, I will snap a pic of what I did to solve it.
Yes, plz, I'm having the same problem - mine slipped into the roof from the impact of an accident and I'm perplexed as to how to snap the interior bits back into the exterior panel and track

Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Yes, plz, I'm having the same problem - mine slipped into the roof from the impact of an accident and I'm perplexed as to how to snap the interior bits back into the exterior panel and track
I should have known it is almost impossible to make any pictures in such restricted area.
Anyway, I hope this helps, a little explanation:

After you remove the large inner lining through the tilted open sunroof (slides backwards, be careful with some springs which can hook), you will see a spring operated arm on each side.

This arm supports the inner lining, and has a pin to connect to each side of the rear trim panel.
With the sunroof tilted, and the rear trim panel more or less in place, you will need to force rotate the arm down, then hook the pin in the hole.

The problem is that either the plastic holder is snapped (that's a real problem), or more common, these arms do not line up with the hole, and can snap loose every now and then.

I had the last problem, and fabricated 2 small, U-shaped brackets.
They act as springs, hold the arm and the plastic loosely together, still allowing for the necessary movement.

I made those brackets from the stainless steel spring of an old wiper blade, they are thin enough, super strong, and can be bent and cut with pliers.
It is a bit of trial and error, the first one I made was wrong, but after that they work as they should.

The shape is actually not an U, but has 2 extra bents to go into the hole on the opposite side, to prevent it from falling off.
The spring tension keeps it in place once you click them in.
The tape is left over from installation, I taped the bracket on a long screwdriver to hold it in place while clicking into position.

I hope this shed a bit of light on how it is fitted, and how to improve the operation.

Attached Thumbnails  1999 Jaguar XJ8/ Sunroof Problem-dsc09539.jpg    1999 Jaguar XJ8/ Sunroof Problem-dsc09540.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by ericjansen:
harvest14 (02-01-2017), motorcarman (02-01-2017), Ronco1 (09-08-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Very good explanation Eric.

So, since you said "The problem is that either the plastic holder is snapped (that's a real problem)...", do you have any recommendations for that scenario? That happens to be what's wrong with my sunroof.

Thanks,

Old 02-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

When I worked at the dealer (when these cars were NEW) the plastic drain channel track link piece was NOT available as a separate part (NSS). It was part of the 'tilt/slide mechanism'. We had to replace the entire side in the track.

I don't know if that is still the case.

I used to save the ones that were not broken and install them on cars that just needed the plastic link.

You might visit a salvage yard and if the headliner is down, they are easy to slide out the back by lowering the sliding roof frame.

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 02-01-2017 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
harvest14 (02-03-2017)

Quick Reply: 1999 Jaguar XJ8/ Sunroof Problem