XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1999 XJ8 Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1999 XJ8 Windows

Hi guys,
Been searching for a few hours now with no luck so I will ask the All Knowing. How do you remove and replace a door window glass and power window motor?
Cheers

Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,336 Likes on 1,055 Posts

With difficulty - it's not something I like doing!

First is to remove the door card, plenty of how to's on the forum using the search function.

Once your clear of that job, you'll need to remove the foam sound deadening and plastic rain guard, then you'll be able to see the window motor and quadrant.

With the glass all the way up, tape it to the top of the door frame with Gaffa tape so as not to let it drop down into the door. (unless glass is shattered of course)

Release the motor and mech bolts and wiggle it free and out. Glass, hmm, not easy.

It's a mornings work of sweat, swearing and tight fitting parts, good luck!

The following users liked this post:
kenncl (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM
ud
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never done one on a Jaguar, I'm new to these cars.

I've done many on GM and Mercedes and it wasn't difficult.

I just got a 3 year subscription to Alldata for my '99 XJ8. That way I can read the manual from front to back over and over until I own it. I am one of the few people I know that does that.

I would get that subscription before I start any work like doing a power window. That way you can look at it and print out the pages before you start a job.

I hate bugging people and I don't want to post on a forum and wait around for someone to post the instructions if I can do it all myself, not saying I don't appreciate any help I can get.

I'm not sure of the legality of posting Jaguar's manual online if the people doing so haven't made arrangements with Jaguar.

A note about Alldata: I went online to purchase a 1 yr service for $26, got interrupted and didn't complete the purchase. The next day I get an email saying it's my last chance to get 1 yr for $20 or 3 yrs for $30. Last chance- hurry!

Maybe it was because I had subscriptions with Alldata before.

So I got the 3 yr for $30... sometimes it helps to walk away. When I first looked at my car I walked and the guy put it in Craigslist for $500 less the next day and I beat him down $200 from that. Not being eager-beaver is a proven poker attitude!

Last edited by IanT; 08-15-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

The alldata thing is JTIS, which is at the top of this forum for FREE download and works on multiple platforms thanks to our resident hero Jim Lombardi

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...archive-65998/

@ Ian T - Sometimes reading all about it doesn't give you the real word nightmares you can encounter with certain jobs, this is one of the few I found difficult when totally rebuilding my XJR100 into a brand new bodyshell. I can't remember which where more difficult to do, the fronts or rears. But fitting the window quadrants back into a door it a very tricky thing to do right, alignment of the motor bolts is difficult and not explained so in any manual.

kenncl (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,765 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
...............It's a mornings work of sweat, swearing and tight fitting parts........
And be VERY careful with the quadrant as you manoeuvre it. The pivot arms can do serious damage to fingers as you wrestle it out of the aperture.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 1999 XJ8 Windows-xj8-door-glass-mechanism.jpg  
kenncl (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM
ud

What's the legality of giving away the Jaguar manual?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hello IanT
I like to know why you joined the forum and why you have not given your location information. Not even on what country you reside in.

If there was a problem with providing the JTIS manual, then Jaguar would be going after the numerous Ebayers selling the Jaguar JTIS CD manuals for financial gain.

Not so here on the forum.

Also I am making you aware that the JTIS manual download was available on this forum long before I became a member.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-19-2012 at 06:14 PM.
kenncl (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 PM
ud

I joined the forum to learn about Jaguar cars and I am learning a lot, and do appreciate the help I've received and try to ignore the grumpy people.

Last year I had my identity stolen and got phone bills from some guy who set up an account in Oregon under my name! As result I'm hesitant about giving my name and address out to people I don't know.

Graham noted that I was in Hauula, but that's just the internet "rounding off" my location. Hauula is a few miles up the road, I'm in Kaaawa, Hawaii. I actually live in Kaaawa Valley where they filmed Jurassic Park, Lost and countless other movies and shows like Hawaii 5-0. I posted a pic of my actual location in a previous post.

Picture a kid telling his mother "but all the other kids at school are smoking cigarettes!", and that's how the argument that it's ok to give away the manual affects me. Maybe Jaguar is looking the other way because the company that made these cars is no longer in existence and the new owner in India has better things to do. Maybe they look the other way it as it sells parts. I really don't know. I'm guessing it's just too small potatoes.

I've written lots of music software, and maybe that's why I look down upon people "sharing" software without the owner's permission. It's not sharing, it's stealing. No different than any other stealing but it's hidden as you're stealing someone else's time, not physical product, and that difference makes people who would never steal from a store think it ok.

Just because people get away with something doesn't make it right.

I know lots here will think I'm just here to make trouble, and I'm not, I'm here to find out if these cars will work for me, to get to the bottom of what they are and figure out some repair problems that come up. That's the truth.

But I'm not a follower, and I know that that will make many people angry.

If you really know and believe what you know and believe, then nothing I say should or could ruffle your feathers.

Last edited by IanT; 08-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hello
I think it is just common sense that when someone is trying to learn all they can from a forum that it would be a nice jesture not to be critical about how to technical information is being distributed on the forum.

You are not helping by giving your personal feelings about this issue. A lot of time and effort has been expended collecting, organizing, summaring information from the manual and a lot of other sources from the internet, parts catalogs, and other technical documents.

Also a lot of effort has been put forward in how to install the software on the newer operating systems and how to use the software.

I sorry about your identity theft problem. I just thought that you were trying to hide something by not giving a location.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-16-2012 at 04:30 PM.
kenncl (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Default XJ (X308) Front Door Window R&I 5 PDF Files

Hi
Here are 5 PDF Files that contain instructions on replacing front door window on XJ (X308):

2001 XJ Front Door Windows Regulator R&I.pdf

Front Door Trim Panel 76.34.01
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...l-76-34-01-pdf

xj (x308) Front Door Module R&I 86.80.34.pdf

Front Door Finish Panel 76.47.11
http://https://www.jaguarforums.com/...l-76-47-11-pdf

Front Door Armrest 76.34.22
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...t-76-34-22-pdf

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-15-2012 at 07:36 PM.
kenncl (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

@ Ian, I can understand your point of view.

Jaguar have themselves set up access to all software, available via subscription. They'e also released all parts and service manuals from XK120 up to XJ40 - released via the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust, Jaguar Heritage on Compact Disc. They can be bought directly, to ebay and copies...moral, ethical issues are down to the individual.

Wider implications within the automotive industry - cars are built with 'design obsolescence', engineers are instructed to manufacture faults so cars are returned to dealers who in turn put money back into the company. Why make a switch in stainless steel, when it can be plastic and have a 10th life span? It's down to cost and profit.

To combat the closed shop the makers have, hardware, software and special tools can be bought to work on the latest cars. A whole industry is based on this fact. Why do indie garages exist? This is being constantly restricted by new manufacturing - soon you'll not be able to work on your car, it will have to go back to who made it.

Enjoy the fact you have a car that information is readily available for, whether via Jaguar's Topix subscription site, it's own CD's, an ebay copy, or downloaded from thousands of websites. Forum members have a right to decide which route they take to access information and not be told what is right or wrong. You seem a nice guy until you state you look down on people, not good vibes dude - go catch some waves and chill.

Then go buy an alloy Audi and a VAG-COM tool

mahalo & aloha!

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean B:
jimlombardi (08-18-2012), kenncl (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thanks Everyone

I will be tackling this job this weekend and want to thank everyone who assisted. This forum has been a wonderful experience for me and wish I could be as helpful as many of you.
Again Thanks
PS: If I loose any fingers my typing may look a lttle werd n th future(lol)

Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

"What's the legality of giving away the Jaguar manual?"

That was a fairly simple question. There is really no cause for it to morph into any discussion of the implications of any member choosing to not disclose their location in the optional information sections of the member profile.

From a purely legal perspective, the copyright question is a well settled question of law in most jurisdictions. From a practical perspective, it is whatever Jaguar chooses to make of the existing landscape. So far, Jaguar has chosen to let sleeping dogs lie.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
jimlombardi (08-18-2012), kenncl (08-19-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Two posts have been deleted. Expressing an opinion is fine, there is no need to beat a dead horse. In addition, taking it further would be considered off-topic.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
jimlombardi (08-18-2012), kenncl (08-19-2012)