XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 xj8 starts and immediately dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No codes yet.

saturday? started 10/11 times no problem. Ran perfectly.

yesterday, one time it started rough, but fixed itself within 10 seconds. Other 3 times fine.

today, one time rough, two fine.

Its not not always the first time of the day.

no gas puddle in the throttle battery. I cleaned it last week some time. It was actually really clean. Probably had been replaced recently.

i will fuddle with the tb wires more. Probably need to wait until it’s not so darn cold. They don’t wiggle or move, tabs don’t budge a hair.

the replacement little hose, just after the maf sensor, should be here Wednesday. It’s filthy and the previous owner had it taped up. Might be something there. Was too narrow to try to clean, so ordered a new one.

i actually had an inch of water in the air filter housing. That couldn’t have been good. Shouldn’t be a problem anymore.

between the freezing rain and snow today, trying to replace the rear passenger brake light assembly. I removed the three nuts, but won’t budge. It’s cracked, but came with a replacement. Spent yesterday buffing out all the little scuffs and such, so it looks brand new.
Also tried to remove the front driver fender leaper. Heated it up with a hair dryer, but won’t budge. The jaguar emblem itself has fallen off, leaving the fixture. I have a new fixture with emblem that I polished up.
And still fighting to get the little parking light replaced in the passenger high beam. Drivers side took 30 seconds. Think I need to remove the windshield solution reservoir. The long plastic piece is broken off, and it’s in the way for any type of pliers. I’ve used from 6” to 24” 45 degree pliers, nothing will grab onto the remaining base.

Sigh. This cat is getting a lot of love and attention but sure is finicky.

I will pick up a pair of seals for the vvt. Saw them for $10 I think.

Thanks very much

joe

Old 02-19-2019, 03:05 PM

This morning she wouldn’t start. Threw codes for 5 cylinders misfiring and P1316. Ran errands for a couple hours, she started right up. Cleared codes.

changed the little hose after the MAF. Hard reset. Started up. Drove around neighborhood for 10 minutes. Came back, **** it off, immediately restarted it, fine. Let it sit for 20 minutes, started right up. Drove around neighborhood again another 10 minutes, everything good. Was about to turn onto Main Street, CEL and restricted performance came on, though seemed to run fine, no loss of power and was smooth.

drove it back home, found p0172 and p0175 codes, both banks too rich

removed air intake, removed maf and cleaned it, reset all fittings. Cleared codes. Started right up. Drove around neighborhood again, parking a couple times and turning it off. All fine

went 2.5 miles and filled up. .5 mile from home, cel and restricted performance. Same codes

?

thanks

joe

Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

I was just reading another post about the MAF going bad. I've never seen this myself, even on nearly 40 year old MAFs, but any problem there in the MAF itself or any of the writing would cause serious problems running well.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Was one of the first things that I replaced. Maybe i have jostled it too much and need another one.

i cleaned all the connections that I could get apart, even with pliers and a screwdriver I couldn’t get a couple.

found a crack in the part load hose. I helped it along while trying to remove it. Will be here Wednesday. From reading other posts, this might explain some of my problems. Hopefully.

i bent the pins on the MAF sensor a tiny bit. Read on another post that they sometimes don’t make a great connection.

i let it idle for 5 minutes, didn’t throw any codes and ran fine. Didn’t take it out... not sure how well my tape job is going to hold on the hose.

will order another maf next month and probably a crankshaft sensor. Need to get o rings for the gas filter. You would think that they’d come with it.

hopefully I’m getting most everything covered that I can.

thanks again
joe