XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 XJ8 Gas tank problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 XJ8 Gas tank problems

I just bought a 2001 xj8 with 20K miles from a lady who got this in a divorce in 2004~ and let it sit at her mothers house in Georgia. It had some sun damage on the paint. The only other problem weve been able to find was that apparently they had some gas tank problems and got some joker in a shop in Ga. to "replace" the tank for 280$. He told her it needed to be replaced just "because it had been sitting around for a long time" so we think se clearly was taken advantage of. When I got it home I knew there was a problem with the tank, because I could smell gas after filling-up and you had to fill very slowly, or it would "over-flow", so I bought it "eyes open." So I just got word from my mechanic here in Jacksonville Florida that the guy in the middle of nowhere Ga really screwed things up when he put the used tank in, no suprise! When they dropped the tank, at least it was the correct yr tank, but, he had damaged 1 out of 2 of the fuel lines, they cleaned out the rust in the tank, recomended replacing the fuel filter, and the "sock" and since it seemed like the fuel gauge occaisionally was reading erratic, they recomended replacing the fuel sender while we had it all apart, because since we didnt know how many miles the old tank had, the sender might fail eventually anyway, and then wed have to drop the tank again anyway and replace it eventually, and it would be wisest to do it now.

All this sound reasonable to you guys with more "Jag experience"?

Update... yesterday they put it all back to gether an called and said it was having a leak somewhere up near the top of the tank. they called Jaguar Technical and they told them it was the seal/pressure relief valve that was bad and needs replacing... so their going to have to drop the tank again and put this in now. I cant imaging that there is anything much left on that tank left to go bad.

Thanks for any advice or consolation

Old 05-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Might as well replace the fuel pump while the tank is out. All of the work in changing the pump is in dropping the tank itself.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM

Just wondering.... Did you get your gas tank problems fixed??? I am having a similar issue with xj8 2001. About 8 months ago.. It just all of a sudden wouldn't take gas. Put a few cents in and then it would shut off.... My dad has had the tank out several times a s cannot seem to locate the problem. I live two hours away from a jag dealer and will have to have the car towed but afraid of what they may charge me to fix the problem. My dad is a good mechanic but imports are considerably harder to figure. Any help, advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Default gas tank problem

It seemed that the anti-siphon valve (that prevents some one from stealing gas out of the tank) was irreparably damaged. Because it is an intergral part of the tank (not replaceable) the whole tank had to be replaced. Luckily my shop was able to find a used jag xj8 tank with the valve intact for a good price ~400$ (so if thats the problem) it costs around ~$400 to drop and replace the tank and $400~ to buy the used tank. I hope this helps