XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2003 Jaguar XJ 8 instrument cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Jaguar XJ 8 instrument cluster issues

Hello,
Nice to be here ! My Jag has gauge issues. Started with the gas gauge not reading accurately. Then lights went out in the gauge windows. They went off and on then strictly off. 2 other gauge lights did the same thing but have now stayed on. The tach is off as it moves up or down about 500 rpms, as is the temp gauge inaccurate. Might I need to change the instrument cluster? Is there a computer code that will come up for this issue if I run a scan? I have read that just replacing the bad bulbs can restore gauge function--kinda like Xmas tree lights-true, not true? How much is the cost to swap the gauge cluster? Any thoughts are of course, greatly appreciated.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:12 AM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Whenever you get seemingly random electrical Gremlins on the Jaguars check the battery and read the codes.

These cars are very finicky when it comes to supply voltage. All sorts of weird stuff happens when the voltage drops. That can happen due to the battery being in poor condition, easy check. Or by corrosion on various connectors and earth points. Do check the battery terminals, really take them off and inspect them. Not a hundred percent sure whether it applies to all models, but my 2002 XJR has two huge fuses mounted in the boot towards the back of the rear seat. On mine, I have found one very corroded.

These cars have dozens and dozens of earthing points. Check the electrical diagram you can download from this side. Every so often (2-3 years) I go around the whole car undoing them, cleaning them and re-installing them with dielectric grease for protection.

All of the above makes good sense as regular preventive maintenance now and then. It has proven to solve many of these sort of spurious problems.

Of course, do run a scan. Preferably with a code reader than can handle Jaguar Specific codes.

I used to live in Kansas City and there were plenty of car part shops around that would happily check your battery for you, with a proper battery test. Also, some of them would have an OBD reader too, but usually that was just a generic reader. But hey, anything goes if it is for free. Just don’t start swapping parts without having a proper diagnosis first and fixing the obvious (battery/electrical connections/earth). These latter ones can cause problems without ever showing an error code on a scan.

Good luck

Jeroen

Old 08-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your reply !!

Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeroen is giving you good advise. You also may consider doing a hard reset.