XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

'98 VDP driver shot side window motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '98 VDP driver shot side window motor replacement

Hi, my drivers window won't go down so I think it's the window motor. All other windows working fine. I've got the replacement motor but when I took the door card off I was surprised that I could see no motor or regulator, the inner door skin covers everything. Not sure where to begin, I can't even see where that inner door skin might attach. I removed the water shield, it was well glued everywhere. Only ripped it in one small area. Should I just back off this and take it somewhere? Video on YouTube made it look so easy but they were for xj8's and xjr's. Is a Canadian VDP different?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Try a HARD RESET first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 1999 XJ8L does this every once in a while.

bob

Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM

okay so i did a hard reset about a month ago and it really didn;t seem to do anything other than cause a stutter on idle for a bit but that went away. I spoke with an independent jag mechanic here in Toronto and he said it was probably the window motor so I ordered it.

but on your advice I just did a hard reset now and it worked....sort of.

the driver's window does go up and down but the button has changed. it now operates from the rear passenger button only on the driver's arm rest. all other windows do not operate from any of the other buttons. the front passenger window goes up and down from pushing the button located on that door handle but that's it.

and it thinks the driver's door is open when its closed. when I open the driver's door, it tells me both the driver's door and passenger door are open.

I used my code reader to clear codes but it didn;t do anything. is it just a matter of driving it so it can relearn?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Maybe the driver's door switchpack is faulty. If they get wet, they usually fail. I replaced dozens when people would get the windows tinted and the installer squeegeed water into the switchpack.

bob

Old 07-18-2017, 11:47 AM

i'll try another reset and take it to see my guy first before I buy anymore parts.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I found the ground wire at the connector on the driver side pushed back out enough to lose contact . Suggest push it back in and engage pin lock bar