XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

abs trac/asc light

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default abs trac/asc light

About 15 mins ago from now, the abs light and the trac/asc amber warning light came on.

When the car is first started during the initial System check thing, the lights go out like normal. Then about the time I put it into gear, the light comes on.

From what I gather, the initial contact check is good but what happens after that and what are some things that can cause this? Of course the first reaction is to get it to a repair shop immediately but from my experience taking it a car in for repairs and telling the mechanic especially the dealership to "just fix it" usually end up as the entire braking system is bad like a barn yard found Ford Model T and they have to rebuild the car from ground up. Of course they tell you this after conviently taking the car apart to the point where it's undrivable.

My first step I'm thinking about doing is maybe getting the codes read somewhere. What are the common codes for these trip lights?
Hopefully it aint something that take long to fix as I have a trip I have to take in a couple of weeks across the country. Yea I know all about the hoopla over "Well you wont have traction control, yada yada, and wet surfaces blach blah blah. I've been driving cars before traction control was on every vehicle and still drive some that dont have it and do just fine.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

This is a fairly common thing and a popular topic. It seems the concensus opinion is that it's usually either, 1) low battery or bad ground/connections; 2) a wheel sensor that needs cleaning/adjusting/replacing; or 3) the ABS module board needs solder reflowed, or the unit needs to be rebuilt or replaced. As far as driving without ABS, people have done it for years without killing themselves.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

You have to go to a dealer or a shop that has Jag specific reader to check abs codes. The wheel sensors you can clean yourself, and if you have to repair the abs module, you can find services on ebay if you don't want to cut it open yourself. I would not be concerned short term.
RJ

Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

May I ask for how to clean the wheel sensors. Where are they located and what should they be cleaned with.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

I think the procedure should be in the sticky's on this forum, but don't know for sure. I do know if you go to the XK8/XKR forum you will find it in the 3rd sticky: XK8& XKR Frequently asked questions under ABS in the alphabetical listings.
If you have not been a member long enough to access the sticky, someone more competent than myself will probably provide a link.
RJ_______________
'97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi

Old 06-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Has anyone been able to trace one of these events to dirty sensors? It is always spoken about -- but I have never heard of dirt causing being the cause.

With the events being so random initially it is hard to pinpoint - but ultimately it often ends up being something else down the road.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Has anyone been able to trace one of these events to dirty sensors? It is always spoken about -- but I have never heard of dirt causing being the cause.

With the events being so random initially it is hard to pinpoint - but ultimately it often ends up being something else down the road.
Yep I did, it was rear driver side sensor, a cob of dried grass (car driven in deep grass) blocked off the sensor intermittently. I cleaned the fronts then removed the wheels an the rear and found it.
This was after a rather scary moment on black ice, trac-abs-stability control failure warning.

I also replaced the battery having been told a marginal one would report this error, but this is just on startup, not while running, if that's the case, it's down to no2 and no3.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Surprisingly ........ having a weak battery can cause you to have faults even while running -- The battery provides electrical stability and as cars age many of the motors can draw many more amps as they start ... so this can cause all sorts of issues .... and the x308 has many motors that go on independently.

Also -- having something stuck in the sensor is one thing -- But my point is that I have never heard of normal dirt .... and these things can get a fair amount on them -- causing the fault.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Surprisingly ........ having a weak battery can cause you to have faults even while running -- The battery provides electrical stability and as cars age many of the motors can draw many more amps as they start ... so this can cause all sorts of issues .... and the x308 has many motors that go on independently.

Also -- having something stuck in the sensor is one thing -- But my point is that I have never heard of normal dirt .... and these things can get a fair amount on them -- causing the fault.
To be clear, my marginal battery was found good!

I agree it's rare for the actual sensor to be at fault, the only moving part is the ring gear, and it's a big simple casting, so nothing can go wrong unless it's loose...the sensor is also a simple magnetic, Hall effect switch so again, highly unlikely of faults. The point is to check it, ring gear and connections to sensor and link lead to loom, this would define "check the wheel speed sensors" but includes the total system, so if by definition the 1,2 and 3 Top picks goes into a sticky, this would be the proviso on number 1.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

My point really is that with the common solder joint failure in the ABS module - The rare intermittent ABS light caused by electrical glitches or a compromised connection the recommendation to go overboard cleaning the sensors and rings is most likely not going to fix the problem.

When I first had my restricted performance issue with the corresponding abs/track failure. I asked at the dealer a few months later ... I'm friends with the parts manager and he called over a tech ... they both agreed that they never see a problem with the wheel sensors and that the only time they get replaced is when they are damaged in an accident. It is not a common item for replacement.

They all agreed that other than a compromised connection someplace ..... the most likely cause of a often reoccurring RP or Track/ ABS is the TPS in the Tbody .... The technician told me that they would often get a RP and that would go away but the abs/track would stay .. why I do not know .. but you have to look at the display to see if that is happening. Otherwise look to the ABS controller. Both obviously expensive ... as are the wheel sensor parts.

Maybe one of the technicians on the forum will advise ........

Old 06-16-2012, 02:35 PM

well after blowing some air around the abs sensor by the best means I could without removing the sensors,by 3pm mountain time, the light went off and havent been on since. Mind you I havent read all the replies but from what I gather a bit of dirt got on the sensor during the mid after noon sand storm and was removed with the air. I'll keep an eye on it and see in the future. Usually most abs sensors I dealt with, usually a "normal" amount of dirt dont affect the sensors too much but here, the severe duty schedule is usually followed due to the frequent sand storms and dust blowing around all the time so I guess some temporarily got lodged in there.

I did forget to mention there was no restricted performance note and only the amber lights.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
I think the procedure should be in the sticky's on this forum, but don't know for sure. I do know if you go to the XK8/XKR forum you will find it in the 3rd sticky: XK8& XKR Frequently asked questions under ABS in the alphabetical listings.
If you have not been a member long enough to access the sticky, someone more competent than myself will probably provide a link.
RJ_______________
'97 XK8 Conv. 85K mi

Is it possible that the sticky can be moved to the XJ8/XJR section too? I mean most people looking for answers on their XJ* probably wont be thinking to beeline to the XK8 section or else if the problems are all covered in the XK8 section would there be a point for the XJ* section and might as well combined them?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,619 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Hot humid weather causing asc/trac faults

Hi
I have noticed that when we get hot humid weather it seems to result with asc/trac faults messages displayed on our 2001 XJ8. It seems to come and go away Intermittently.

I believe the problem is the result of faulty or failing solder connections.

We experienced the same sort of problems with faulty/failing solder connections on our 1990 Acura Legend no start conditions on hot humid weather days (Main Relay).

Since the asc/trac only happens occasionally and there is no restricted performance faults, I have chosen not to have the issue diagnosied.

Jim Lombardi

Old 08-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Jaguar XJR Supercharge V8 4L

Hi,

I have read everything here and lots of good information. One Evening I moved my 2001 Jaguar XJR Supercharge V8 4L and shut the engine off and got out and noticed there was something running. So I popped my hood open and noticed that it was the ABS motor was running while the car was off.

I didn't want my battery to die so I pulled the switch off. That stopped it from running. So my question is with everything I have read you think it's the control module that needs the two points solder then the ABS motor will shut off once plugged back in and the two ABS light and Track light on my car will go off?????

It would be awesome to figure this out. What do you think?????

Thanks I appreciate the help.

Stephen

Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

The solder points faul code is C1095, if you can get a scan and this shows then you can go ahead with a DIY repair.
When you're next with the car plug it back in then turn the ignition on, not the other way round. See if it has a warning light/message.
I've not heard of that fault with the motor running on which makes me think relays or some other onboard electrical fault.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sean,

Thanks for getting in touch so fast. I appreciate that. Yeah I will put my code reader on and turn the ignition on to accessory and see what I see. Ya it's a little weird why that wouldn't shut off. Cheers...

Old 08-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

If your code reader can pick up C codes please let us know what reader you have. Having the pump stay on is not going to be a C1095 code; that's usually open circuit. I think to have the pump run on the ECU has to be involved.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

The timing of this post is interesting. Just today for the first time my ABS light came on as well as the messages, ASC Not Available and Trac Not Available. The lights have stayed on ever since. My car is an 02 XJR with 72,000 miles.

From what I just read, it's unlikely a wheel sensor. My battery is only about a year old so I doubt it's that. I see there are other posts on this fault so I'll continue researching...

Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Well, my car fixed itself. Love it when that happens! The trilogy of error messages and lights is gone. I know they may return but I'm going to ignore it for now.

Given they have gone away, at least temporarily, does that point in one direction of a fault versus others? I'm thinking it probably means I have that soldering issue that will eventually need to be addressed.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

A good possibility.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (09-05-2016)

Quick Reply: abs trac/asc light