XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Accessing Sub, Repairing Leaper, Stopping Whistling

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Accessing Sub, Repairing Leaper, Stopping Whistling

I didn't want to clutter my new car thread, so here are some issues. Car is an 01 XJR, Alpine sound.

Sub crackles pretty badly. I'd like to check the connections to it, and condition of the cone. How on earth do I get to it? I thought I could pull off the panel at the back of the trunk...... but that appears to be the gas tank. (That was a surprise to me!) How can I get to the sub, are there clips that allow me to remove the sub cover? I don't want to risk breaking little tiny tabs and having that loose.

Second, someone tried to shut my hood using the leaper. I thought he was just checking that it was on tight.......and watched in horror as it snapped off!!!! So sad! I still have the leaper, and the mount is still securely on the hood. The leaper has 2 holes in the bottom of it, and a safety cable. I guess there are supposed to be screws and some sort of a nut? Couldn't find any of those parts. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to pay $300 for a new leaper from Jag.

Also, at about 90MPH a whistle/beep comes on pretty loud from the center stack/shifter area. Anyone have any clue as to this? It's fully speed dependent, not RPM. I didn't go much faster than that since it had me pretty worried, so I don't know if it subsides or not.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Accessing Sub, Repairing Leaper, Stopping Whistling

You need to take the backseat out to get to the sub, and then the top deck. I replaced the sub twice. I also get the high pitch whistle over 90 (sometimes) I think it’s coming from the center heating ducts, but I could be wrong.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:54 AM

What's the removal procedure for the back seats & deck? Sorry, totally new to Jags and I don't want to damage anything. Are they seriously mounted, or just clipped in?

My mechanic is going to look into the whistling tomorrow, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had the same issue. Thanks for chiming in :-)

Old 10-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right, you need to remove the “kick plates†where the fuse boxes are in-front/under the back seat. There will be clips that are screwed in. Take those out, pull the bottom part of seat out. Then you can see where you need to remove the screws for the upper part of the seat. Just take you time and you can figure it out. Not hard at all. Just take your time.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 PM

Kick plates for fuse boxes by the back seats? Gas tank behind the seats? WTF. This car is weird. Haha.

Thanks for the help, CROFA. Sounds great. Hopefully I can do that on Thursday.