XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Aerial Mast Replacement FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

David -- You are correct that the whip would pop out. I had to remember how we did this because it was a common fix on the old MB units -- The original mast were NLA. We shortened the whip and glued the second section down into the first.

Not sure about the taper -- I have an extra one and the end is tapered so it can slide easily into the bobbin.

The spring is part of what I am calling the clutch -- it allows the unit to slip when it comes to the end. It looks like your unit also has a "ski slope" so that it will pull apart the clutch should the mast bend/snap while it is up. The units must have some form of clutch -- even ice on the mast can stop it from retracting.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

yeldogt, I have to correct my former posting.
Due to a lack of technical terms in a (for me) foreign language I mixed tapper with a kind of a catch.
Of course the whips are nosed.
You are right with this point.

David

Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Great thread, and very helpful, right up to the point where the mast I bought doesn't fit.
Does anyone have a US or Cdn source for this part? All I can find is UK at 15 pounds.

Edit: I have found one here- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...ht_5742wt_1167

Do not order from these guys- Antennax.com. The service was good, but they only seem to have one type of mast. They refunded my money promptly, but do not have the correct part, although the ebay page clearly lists my year and model.

Last edited by avt007; 01-31-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need Some Advice

I know this thread is a little stale but...

I have an antenna problem... Basically my issue is the antenna goes up fine but won't come down. The motor will spin but can't seem to catch the nylon gear "whip" (or whatever you call it). It seemly pushes the antenna out too far such that the nylon gear strip gets pulled too far out of the drive.

I can get the antenna to go down if I push on it a little bit while it is trying to come down.

I've taken it apart and nothing seems terribly wrong. Nothing obviously stripped or broken.

I figured if the stupid motor would stop a little shorter when it puts the antenna up, it will be able to pull it back down.

My question is this.... how can I add resistance so the motor will stop a bit short when raising the antenna? This presumes the controller is measuring resistance to know when to stop. The posts in the thread were not entirely clear.

Is there some way to adjust the controller to tell it to stop?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the posts mentions gluing two sections together to shorten the travel and stop the gear strip from coming out too far??

Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ixj8it
Well I did the job today. It is super tall, and it doesnt always go all the way back down flush with the body. Is this unusual? The instructions said it would "center" itself after the radio has been turned on and off a few times.
Today mine went flush with the body, but it had been going down to the point of the 1st photo in this thread. Same with my moms 98 VDP.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just an update....

I finally got around to fixing my antenna problem (goes up but not down). The fix was to take the antenna/motor assembly apart and use a lighter to melt the end of the nylon (or whatever it is) and squeeze it flat/ball with a pair of pilers.

Works great and only took a few minutes to do.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good to hear it worked for you

Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by ronmexico
Just an update....

I finally got around to fixing my antenna problem (goes up but not down). The fix was to take the antenna/motor assembly apart and use a lighter to melt the end of the nylon (or whatever it is) and squeeze it flat/ball with a pair of pilers.

Works great and only took a few minutes to do.
Do you have a pic of what you did?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine broke off so I put a Dipole in the trunk. Took off the cable from the antenna took a wire piece of RG6 stripped it back insered the center into the cable going to the radio soldered the braid to the ground part of the cable, put a barrel conector on the end of the short cable, put a 300 ohm to 75 ohm xformer on the dipole antena & conected it to the barrel conector .Streached out the dipole in the trunk out of sight works great and no (What looks like) 30 foot pole sticking up in the air.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by macuser
Mine broke off so I put a Dipole in the trunk. Took off the cable from the antenna took a wire piece of RG6 stripped it back insered the center into the cable going to the radio soldered the braid to the ground part of the cable, put a barrel conector on the end of the short cable, put a 300 ohm to 75 ohm xformer on the dipole antena & conected it to the barrel conector .Streached out the dipole in the trunk out of sight works great and no (What looks like) 30 foot pole sticking up in the air.

Any pics?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1989 jaguar xjs aerial antenna

Just bought this beauty with 27 k miles.
The aerial antenna is in open position.
Radio works fine, etc.
Is there an in line fuse or is it broken and needs replacement.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM

Hi Yeldogt

I have a problem with my ariel, it won't go up or down and I'm going to attempt your fix. Any chance of a few photos to help me. I can't see any of the photos in this thread.

Also what equipment do I need and where do I get the new stuff from?

Spencer

Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Hi Yeldog

OK I've got it all apart, but can't get the old metal mast out of the tube. Any thoughts?

Spencer

Attached Thumbnails Aerial Mast Replacement FAQ-photo-6.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Missing Photos in post# 1 and post#2

Hi
DavidN emailed me all of the missing photos and I uploaded them to my mediafire.com account.

Forum moderator - translator will be fixing the missing photo issue in post# 1 and post# 2.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 07-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Default PDF file for Aerial Mast Replacements Posts 1 and 2

Hi
I created a PDF file from DavidN post#1 and post# 2 (text and inserted the missing photos).

Here is the weblink to the PDF file:

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (01-08-2013)
Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen,
My antenna is fully operational, but makes one hell of a racket when retracting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Default Aerial Mast Antenna

Ok, well I ordered a new mast and installed it (britishautoparts)
I took the Hirschmann motor controller apart and found that the gear would only move clockwise while operating the radio on and off.
Then I switched one of the leads and it went counterclockwise only!
Therefore, I am assuming that the pc board is fried.
As a temporary fix, I removed the motor and board and assembled the Hirschmann controller with the new arial. Now I can operate the radio and aerial up and down manually.
I also ordered a little stub antenna that may look nice, but hate to do that to stock mint Shaguar...

Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Travelboy5
Part number is LNA4120AA for the entire power antenna.

There are a few used ones on EBAY priced from $80 to $130.

Try using both these search terms ("jaguar xj LNA4120AA" or jaguar xj8 power antenna") and putting in a checkmark in the used box.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-13-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

MDTOPLESS67 on post #37 above..............I've a 2007 XK that does the same thing. One heck of a noise when the antenna is retracted. I'm assuming someone has replaced the mast on my car with one that is too short. So I've ordered the right mast mast length (hopefully).

The noise only starts after the metal mast has been fully retracted. The motor then keeps running for three or more seconds and you hear a clack, clack, clack, clack for those three to five seconds til it stops.

By mast length I'm not talking about the metal part but I'm referring to the plastic toothed part that the motor grabs to retract the antenna.

Quick Reply: Aerial Mast Replacement FAQ