XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

any x300 owners (past or present) on board?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default any x300 owners (past or present) on board?

Hello,
I know you'll think I misplaced this but I saw an ad for a nice looking 96 XJR. The car was involved in a front end accident and it looks as if the damage is limited to the driver's front fender and the bumper. I'm not sure how easily I can source the body parts or if there's damage that isn't apparent in the little CL photos but the supercharged 6 cyl is intriguing and the rest of the car looks to be in good shape.
Any X300 owners past or present who can compare the X300 to their X308's? I'm wondering if the pre-Ford years were models to avoid or if there are other considerations I should be aware of.
Any opinions as to how acceleration and handling/ ride comfort compare between the two versions of XJR's?
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by dwgates
Hello,
I know you'll think I misplaced this but I saw an ad for a nice looking 96 XJR. The car was involved in a front end accident and it looks as if the damage is limited to the driver's front fender and the bumper. I'm not sure how easily I can source the body parts or if there's damage that isn't apparent in the little CL photos but the supercharged 6 cyl is intriguing and the rest of the car looks to be in good shape.
Any X300 owners past or present who can compare the X300 to their X308's? I'm wondering if the pre-Ford years were models to avoid or if there are other considerations I should be aware of.
Any opinions as to how acceleration and handling/ ride comfort compare between the two versions of XJR's?
Thanks.
The ride is firmer than the X308 XJR (spring rates are 20% stiffer), steering rack isn't as quick, car isn't as refined, car is slightly more front heavy so doesn't handle as well. Performance is slower- 0-60 in the 6s rather than the low 5s (320 Bhp).

This isn't a pre Ford era Jaguar but a Post Ford era Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
dwgates (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I guess the above covers the technical part, and is very much true.

However, I occasionally drive both a x300 XJR and a x308 XJR.
Should say I love the x300, to me it has wayyy more character.

Don't exactly know why, and I am a vivid x308 lover, but the color, the interior, the piano black wood, it all just makes it a perfect classic.
The x308 XJR is nice, but to me, it lacks a bit of that feeling.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Carnival Kid (09-01-2018), dwgates (08-31-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I bought a 1995 x300 VDP new -- it was special order. Flamenco w/ light cream interior -- stunning car. The 1995 VDP was standard length -- they did not have the LWB. IMO -- the original stying of the x300 was nicer vs the changes made to the x308 .. the x308 had better headlights.

All that said ... I never felt the x300 to drive any stiffer vs the later cars (just the reverse) .. and I drove many of them. I owned the x300 at the same time as my later x308VDP ..and we had another of each in the family. Those who preferred the german car ride at the time actually felt Jags too soft .. it was one of the reason for the later Sport vehicles.

To me the x300 always felt lighter -- and a bit more responsive. The early x308 XJR being very rough IMO. One did need to use the Jgate occasionally with the the S6 engine .. it was willing but needed some help. I drove a few X300 XJR's back in the day and almost bought one before I bought my 02 new .. so I drove them back to back. If a good x300 XJR came up -- I would buy it for what they sell for. The S6 -- even with the upgrades for 1994 onward -- still suffers from head gasket issues. Must keep coolant proper ... my VDP needed a HG. Some early cars suffered from rear wheel arch rust.

The following users liked this post:
dwgates (09-04-2018)