XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Basic Questions on Door Locking

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 04:46 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

I just had some similar problems with my 98 Sport. Basically, the problem with mine was the Driver Door 'Lock State'. Because the driver's door had a broken wire inside the rubber gaiter trunking between door and 'A' Post, there was no Status Signal from the Driver's door lock back to the Module, so none of the other doors knew what they were supposed to do? The signal to lock the doors is a separate feed to each door. I imagined it like a computer network, one fauly wire on one computer and the rest can't read from it, and vice versa.

It was a bit of a struggle to peel the rubber gaiter back, but that's where I found the problem, re-connected and all sorted. Not sure if this helps?
Paul

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (05-18-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I've got to get inside that door & investigate soon. Planing an island vacation soon & want to take the 308 won't feel right not being able to lock the driver's door.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Ok this week's the time, now the driver side rear door doesn't unlock & the plunger only half raises ?! Going in the driver's door this morning & see what I can decipher. I loath going in these doors as something always breaks puddle light covers,door fasteners etc. But this locking situation is beyond irritating.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Lubed locks,plunger etc. my driver's side plunger is just not going all the way down to activate, I think this points to a faulty actuator ?!

Old 02-28-2021, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI there, I know this is a very old thread, but did you even find a solution for your central lock button ? I have the exact same issue, have read all about it, tried everything and wont work / unlock. All else works fine.

In case you know anything about it, please share.

Thanks
/Flemming

Old 03-05-2021, 07:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bongobrown
HI there, I know this is a very old thread, but did you even find a solution for your central lock button ? I have the exact same issue, have read all about it, tried everything and wont work / unlock. All else works fine.

In case you know anything about it, please share.

Thanks
/Flemming

I don’t know if this will help your issue but I was struggling with a drivers door that wouldn’t unlock when I tried getting out of the vehicle, it tried to unlock when I pulled the inside handle but it would almost get lodged and then I would have to re lock and unlock the door with the key remote. What I ended up doing to fix it was taking everything apart, removing the latch and just spraying it down with pb blaster, trying to avoid electrical components even though I believe pb blaster is safe on those things. It’s been two weeks without an issue and everything is very easy moving and freed up.

Another possible issue could be that something isn’t set right, there are clips holding the exterior door handle lock in a specific position on my car and I would believe that if someone wasn’t careful when reinstalling the door handle, they could potentially cause the door to only be able to lock or unlock as there wouldn’t be enough movement for both. Sorry it’s pretty difficult to describe this. Hopefully you understand.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2021, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for describing what you did to make it work. I ended up playing with the plungers manually and since I saw the rear right door´s plunger did not go up when I pushed on the remote. So I forced it up, locked, opened, locked a couple of times and all doors opens. Afterwards I tried to do the same on the central lock button which were not working from the start- and now everything works. Well, I ended up pulling everything apart several times for no reason, but hey, can only learn from this and know my car better.

Take care