XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can Timing Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Timing Help!

Recently acquired a 2000 XJ8 with a loud knocking noise from motor. Started it up and it died at idle. Pulled left valve cover off and found the standard broken secondary chain with blown out tensioner. I found a chain with a master link and am going to put that on with a new tensioner to see if the motor is still good before I put any more money into it. Big question is how do I set the timing of the exhaust cam? I’m probably answering my own question right now but do I turn the engine over till the intake cam has the flat spot on top and drop the exhaust cam in with the flat spot up? Seems almost too easy which is why I’m checking with the experts. Thanks! And no I don’t have any cam hold down tools... i don’t see how they’ll help me in this immediate situation.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingerbanger
Recently acquired a 2000 XJ8 with a loud knocking noise from motor. Started it up and it died at idle. Pulled left valve cover off and found the standard broken secondary chain with blown out tensioner. I found a chain with a master link and am going to put that on with a new tensioner to see if the motor is still good before I put any more money into it.
There is no point in doing what you plan to do as the head most probably has a number of bent valves. The head has to come off and, if there is no other damage, replace the bent valves, lap all valves, check the head for any warping and reinstall. Then comes the cam timing but, if you want to have a good engine, you would need to replace the whole of the timing gear (all chains, guides and tensioners) and inspect the other head too. The fact that one chain broke suggests that the whole of the timing gear is way long overdue for replacement.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
There is no point in doing what you plan to do as the head most probably has a number of bent valves. The head has to come off and, if there is no other damage, replace the bent valves, lap all valves, check the head for any warping and reinstall. Then comes the cam timing but, if you want to have a good engine, you would need to replace the whole of the timing gear (all chains, guides and tensioners) and inspect the other head too. The fact that one chain broke suggests that the whole of the timing gear is way long overdue for replacement.
Thank you for your opinion but it still didn’t answer my question. If the motors bad I’m not going to put that much effort and money into a car that’s worth $2,000. Obviaouoy if I find the engine is okay I’m going to properly service the vehicle including replacing all chains, guides and tensioners. I’m just curious on the alignment of the camshaft for timing since these engine don’t have timing marks.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for your opinion but it still didn’t answer my question.
If you want to do an approximate setting of the cam (which I don't really recommend), position the "good" intake cam with the flat spot up (parallel to the cam cover gasket surface) and install the exhaust cam with its flat in the same position. Then you have to use some kind of strong flat piece across the flats of the two cams and bolted to the head so that it holds the exhaust cam firmly in position. Then, you have to find a way to also hold very firmly the cam sprocket while tightening the sprocket bolt. Quite hard to do it without the timing tool kit (which is rather cheap) but you can make the two pieces - the flat and a fork-like pin-spanner to hold the sprocket. Then it would be good to also remove the cam cover of the other bank and see whether the flats of the other two cams are also in parallel up-position.

As I said, not much logic in doing this as the exhaust valves are bent. Also, you need to (after removing the head and all valves) check whether the exhaust cam is turning freely inside the head - perhaps it jammed for some reason in its bearings and caused the chain to brake. Very important: I trust that you are aware that the cam caps are numbered and must be installed with their numbers in correct running order, failing which the cam may seize or even break.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Recently acquired a 2000 XJ8 with a loud knocking noise from motor.........
Yep, valves meeting pistons I'm afraid. Your outlook on this subject, let's be honest, the engine is toast.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

You can do a leakdown test for bent valves without taking it apart. It will fail. Sorry.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia
You can do a leakdown test for bent valves without taking it apart. It will fail. Sorry.
Good idea - actually, a simpler compression test with the exhaust cam removed would provide sufficient information about bent exhaust valves.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Yep, valves meeting pistons I'm afraid. Your outlook on this subject, let's be honest, the engine is toast.
Not necessarily "toast" engine - the valve stems are so thin (only 5 mm) that they bend easily and there could be practically no damage to the piston crowns or valve guides. If lucky, the exhaust valves could be the only thing to replace (and not all of them may be bent).

Old 02-15-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Not necessarily "toast" engine.........
The OP isn't about to deep pocket this project, hence my opinion. I've assumed that the 'loud knocking' is one of the many I've seen with wrist pin/con rod bearing damage (snapped valves) = toast, a parts car.
If you throw enough time and money at something you can fix it, it's about economics.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

I just fixed one. Valves had not hit the piston. Don't undo the sprocket. Just make sure both flats are in alignment and fit the chain, timing will still be perfect. Fingers crossed on the valves. Of course, you can crank it with the exhaust cam removed and check compression on those four cylinders.

Last edited by kansanbrit; 02-18-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Do a complete search of this forum: Danielsand, back about four years ago, had the same problem. He replaced the broken link; adjusted the exhaust camshaft, as noted above. Held his breath: started and ran fine. My local Indy told me he saw the same lucky deal maybe one in five.