XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

changing fuel pump today

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default changing fuel pump today

Tried swapping relays and no go. My rear deck is cut out of my car. This should be pretty easy right? Just unscrew the pump and remove?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Looking forward to your comments on the r&R, I will probably have to do this in the future.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM

I'll keep you posted, but it won't be accurate because I don't have to take out the tank.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Remove the fuel tank evaporative loss flange sealing ring.
Refer to operation 19.55.25.

Remove fuel feed hose from tank.Using special tool JD175, slacken fuel feed hose to tank stub securing clip.
Disconnect hose from tank stub.Remove fuel pump assembly.

Release bolt securing fuel pump mounting bracket and place assembly to front.
Slacken securing clip and disconnect hose from fuel pump.

Remove link lead from fuel pump.Remove pump.

Installation
Install new sealing ring to evaporative loss flange;
refer to 19.55.25.

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Here is a PDF file of the JTIS Fuel Tank Flange R&I (SRO 19.55.25):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fudm9fkt6y...55%2025%20.pdf

Here is a JPEG with Photos & illustration of the Fuel Tank Flange & components:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqrhol3vne...or%20R%26R.jpg

Here is a youtube.com video on XK8 fuel pump R&I:

Another youtube.com video on 1998 XJR fuel pump R&I using aftermarket fuel pump:

Jim Lombardi

The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
jamies xj8l (04-19-2013), runnerpaul (04-22-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Got it out, be very careful of the top plastic return lines, they are plastic and break easily, as I have found out. I'm waiting on the epoxy to dry now. I have one question. What is the white block in the pump wires? Never seen that before

Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

does a bad fuel pump link up to heavy cranking on a cold start?

Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM

I did notice that yes. I will report back in the am with result and write up

Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM

I still have to go to my computer to write my review but I can say that my car is starting up perfectly hot or cold. It was 36 in Michigan today and she fired right off. So to answer the question about cold start yes it has solved the problem. Also wanted to add she has WAY more power now too and seems to be getting better mileage too!!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 PM

Ok so here goes... BUT remember my rear deck is completly cut out so i did not have to remove my fuel tank..

The pump looks decieving from the top of the tank. You would think that the assembly is the pump but its not. First, remove the clamps on the metal side of the rubber hoses and slightly twist with pliars to loosen. They will NOT come off yet, next unplug the fuel pump power plug ( white 2 wire plug ) and then unplug the fuel tank pressure sensor ( small black sensor ) next is simple but tricky as well. There is a large steel ring that surrounds the entire pump assembly, you can use a flat blade screw driver and a hammer to spin it counter clockwise until it becomes loose. Note, you can not remove this yet due to the fuel lines being connected still. My fuel pump assembly was stuck to the gasket some, just use a small flat blade screwdriver to lightly pry the assembly up, it should easily come free. Next you need to carefully move the loose pump housing around to get the fuel lines off the tank. Note, the blue plastic fuel lines on the sending unit are VERY brittle so please be careful! Actuallu i broke one of mine! Once all rubber lines are removed from the metal tank side you can noe remove the pump sending unit and take off the trim ring and set it aside.

You will notice that thier is a wire that runs from the pump assembly down inside to the actual tank pump. Yup you guessed it, time to get dirty! The small bolt that the fuel pump is bolted to is 7mm you can use 1/4 or 3/8 drive long extension and wretchet to remove the bolt. DONT DROP IT! Loosen the bolt a few turns and then stick your hand inside the tank and remove the bolt. Noe the fuel pump will lift up almost all the way.

Next you will see the fuel hose clamped directly to the pump, loosen that with a flat blade screw driver, slide down the fuel line some and re tighten it so you dont lose it in the tank. This probably would be easier if the fuel was empty but my car had a full tank!! Finally you can remove the entire assembly from the tank. Swapping the pump itself is fairly easy, you can slightly bend the retaining bracket to get the pump out of it and from there its just swap out the old pump motor with the new one and re install.

All in all i did this with my tank in the car, in 35 degree weather, with a full tank of fuel and it took me about an hour. It will be much longer removing the tank though.

And incase your asking yourself, why dont i have a rear deck? It used to but i cut it completly out because i use this car for car audio competions. I believe ALL xj8's have the steel deck under the beauty cover.

I hope this helps some of you guys, any more questions please feel free to ask or pm me and ill give you my phone number!!

Thank you for this great site and such wonderful members! This car would be in the scrap yard if not for this site!!

The following users liked this post:
runnerpaul (04-22-2013)