XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Converting suspension from sport to comfort

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Converting suspension from sport to comfort

Hi!

I feel my XJR's suspension way too rigid and hard, and I am wondering if it's possible to convert the sport suspension to comfort.

Has anybody done that before? Is it worth it? What parts do I have to replace besides the shock absorbers (from green to black ones).

I have not driven any XJ8 with comfort suspension, so I am not really aware of the ride quality difference.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got an XJR with CATS and a VDP. The VDP just glides. The XJR is rougher/tighter. There definitely is a difference. My XJR with CATS likely rides softer than yours while cruising, thus, likely an even bigger apparent difference to you.

I would look up the part numbers for the springs to see if they are different. It may be more than the shocks.

-Mike

Old 02-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi to all,

Yes, you have to replace the springs as well...and since you own a s/c car, you can't just use a regular spring from the normally aspirated cars. The supercharged vehicles use different springs (at least at the front).
I don't really know about the rear end setup for s/c vdp vehicles with comfort suspension, since there are quite a bunch of different springs available.
In addition to this, the cars with comfort suspension got no sway bar at the rear..it's quite easy to remove - just unbolt a few bolts.

Best regards, Alexander

Old 02-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

The simplest solution to get a better ride is to make sure that the tires aren't too hard. Jaguar allows for lowering them to as low as 26 PSI for ride quality, but I split the difference between the "comfort" and sport settings, and set them to 30 PSI.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by vonRypp
Hi!

I feel my XJR's suspension way too rigid and hard, and I am wondering if it's possible to convert the sport suspension to comfort.

Has anybody done that before? Is it worth it? What parts do I have to replace besides the shock absorbers (from green to black ones).

I have not driven any XJ8 with comfort suspension, so I am not really aware of the ride quality difference.
Firstly, which year XJ do you have?
Secondly, have you had the shocks tested? By most standards the XJR suspension is still quite soft, but if you have CATS which has failed/worn out, then they can default to their firmest setting.

If there are no issues with your shocks, the next thing I would suggest is taking an XJ8 for a drive, just to make sure that it's actually what you're after. No point spending hundreds on shocks just to find that it's too soft

Old 02-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 769 Posts

I think the front sway bar end links are also a different height.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by grandell
Firstly, which year XJ do you have?
Secondly, have you had the shocks tested? By most standards the XJR suspension is still quite soft, but if you have CATS which has failed/worn out, then they can default to their firmest setting.

If there are no issues with your shocks, the next thing I would suggest is taking an XJ8 for a drive, just to make sure that it's actually what you're after. No point spending hundreds on shocks just to find that it's too soft
It's a '97 but MY98. I have no CATS. My shocks need to be replaced (small drops of condensated oil appear on them), but nothing serious, they are far from worn. So either way I have to buy new ones, but I have not considered my sport springs, I thought it can be mixed with comfort shocks. After reading you guys, It's probably a better idea to stick with the stock sport suspensions, and I have to get used to the harsh ride.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Springs and shocks are carefully matched. It is generally a bad idea to deviate from that matching too much.

Again, what are your tire pressures?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Springs and shocks are carefully matched. It is generally a bad idea to deviate from that matching too much.

Again, what are your tire pressures?
I have always used the recommended "mid-range" pressures stated below my central armrest. I can't remember the figures, but I'll check.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:51 AM

Should I buy Bilstein shocks instead of the OEM? It's much cheaper and good quality. Which one do you recommend to replace the original sport shocks?