XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Coolant Hose Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK thanks, I got them off, I asked the dealer here in Kelowna, as the mechanic was walking by the parts desk. He told me to push forward and wiggle a bit before pulling back (out). That worked nicely They just pop right out, although one is inclined to go for the hose first not realizing the whole connector comes out as well. I know for next time.

thanks for your reply, issue has been resolved,

Ken

Last edited by KillerKat; 09-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimlombardi (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi Ken
Good one. Thank you for sharing. I will have to try it.

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I heard somewhere that a tool is supposed to be connected to one of the pipes - the little "C" shaped tool - but I never found one. Must be only U.K. cars. ;^(
My car was new in UAE. Don't know if it is USA or UK spec, or UAE spec if there is such a thing. Or how much difference there is, if any. Odometer reads km not miles.

Originally Posted by luc
The tool is already on the car ( at least on my 01 XJR) on the line from the supercharger radiator, at the connection on top of left valve cover
I found mine but how do you remove it? Yes I tried to just pull it off but it doesn't seem so straightforward. I posted pictures here ...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post1222332

Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Hose Fitting

Originally Posted by inactualis
I've broken two fittings like the one in the attached picture. They are on the ends of two rigid hoses off my 2000 XJR, one from the expansion tank to coolant bypass and the other from expansion to radiator. I am having trouble sourcing parts for either the fittings or the entire hose assemblies. Any ideas before I call the dealership?

PS Yes I need a manicure. My sissy programmer hands are not enjoying this head gasket project.
I just ordered a coolant hose with fittings from fpceuro.com. The sell genuine parts. The hose cost $38.99 plus shipping.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Default tool

I have found the tool to take off the quick connects and it works!
Assume you still have the car.
I am in Vernon, so not a long trip to help!

John Colville
2000 XJ8L

Originally Posted by KillerKat
How does one take off the hose fitting (plastic clip on hose end) at the expansion tank. In the lower diagram it is labeled as 1.2.3. seems pretty easily broken off, if not knowledgeable?

Or do I just buy the whole hose and clamps come with new hose?

thanks

Old 12-05-2015, 07:29 PM

The coolant hose fitting was not my post.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 PM

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I want to point out that it really matters that you get the two hoses going into the front of the tank in the right slots. This hobby I've got had them reversed by a previous shade-tree mechanic and I've been hunting a catastrophic coolant leak as a result. I found this thread trying to verify that my theory was correct and the diagram shows it is, so thanks. I also wanted to thank everyone for the advice on how to remove the hoses as I will have to swap them.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Thank you to everyone for all this wonderful info!! I'm the new owner of a lovely 2000 XJ8 and I had a tube snap on me like one of the other posters - all I did was move it and it clearly was not happy with me doing that. Thanks to this thread I was able to order the part I needed and do an intermediate fix on the line! Looking forward to learning more things from the forum!

Sarah D. Radice

Old 09-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Default "PVC End Assembly" did it for me

Jag dealer couldn't find this either. They offered to order a $85 hose that "might" be the right one. The drawing didn't look anything close. So instead I found this quick fix elbow at my AdvancedAuto for $8. Part #46017 PVC End Assembly by Dorman. With a little gasket sealer and hose clamps, this did the trick.

The following 2 users liked this post by baguafit:
Indy-Guy (07-11-2020), jimlombardi (03-31-2018)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry it's "PCV End Assembly", not PVC.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Does anybody have a part number and/or comment on the availability for part numbers #12 and #13 on the diagram below?

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
Here are diagrams from the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog and the JTIS21 Repair Shop manual:

These 3 hoses are rigid plastic and have quick fit connectors on them.

(#4 on top diagram and is #2 on bottom diagram) from expansion tank to recovery tank (part# MNC4468AD) Retail price $29.50

(#6 on top diagram and is #1 on bottom diagram) from expansion tank to Thermostrat Housing (part# MNC4582BC) Retail price $16.55

(#7 on top diagram and is #3 on bottom diagram from expansion tank to radiator (part# MNC4583CB) Retail price $22.35

Top diagram was copied from JEPC and bottom one is from JTIS21.

Try calling Nalley Jaguar - they give the forum members a 15% discount and (free ground shipping on orders over $25).

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by robertjag; 03-30-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Image not posted correctly.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Robertjag

I found the part numbers, part description and price/availability for #12 & #13 shown on the diagram - #12 is in stock and #13 can be ordered - available to backorder. call SNG Barratt US

#12 Truned Down KDG107003 SNG Barratt US Available to backorder
Phone 1-800-452-4787
email: sales.usa@sngbarratt.com

#13 Double Pipe Clip KDP108081 SNG Barratt US $0.90

Only #13 is available at the Jaguar Dealership websites - North Carolina Dealership wanted $1.10 for part and $24 shipping.

robertjag (03-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM
TJL
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On line #6 in this diagram, there are two stainless clamps securing the rubber hose. I'm installing a new hose because I broke it. How do I loosen and remove the weird looking stainless steel clamp holding it to the housing? The Norma quick fitting releases by twisting two small screwdrivers slightly and a wiggle.The new part will require a new clamp, I suspect an Aeroclamp (SS hose clamp) will suffice? Thanks,Tim

Old 05-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Did you order the part? ... I believe it's specific to a particular model. I remember getting the wrong part the first time I ordered a set. The later XJR's had a 90 degree rubber hose attached. The replacement goes on with a hose clamp. It looks like the picture above but has the factory clamps.

The early cars and I think the XJ8's used the quick connect -- it was straight.

I have a full set for my XJR that I'm going to do in a couple weeks when I do my coolant refresh

Last edited by yeldogt; 05-30-2018 at 08:50 PM.
TJL (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:40 AM
TJL

Thanks for the heads up yeldogt. I ordered the parts for the car, an 2001 XJ8 online on eBay. I ordered both lines and the site I purchased from checked for compatibility. The photos of the parts match my vehicle. If they are not correct, I'll send them back. The two metal clamps holding the rubber hose that attach to the engine came off easily and will re-use one of them with the new line. the quick connect at the other end was a 90 degree. I wish I could find that special tool, but in the meantime, two small screw drivers work. The last thing I want to do is damage the nipples on the tank and radiator, so I'm going to make a tool. The next time I change the water pump, I will remove those plastic lines (hoses) to avoid this predicament. BTW, to get to the Header tank, I had to remove to plastic cover above it. When I did, I found a huge mouse nest made out of wall insulation. He must have been nice and cozy. Now, because of that find, I'm inspecting for chewed wires. The fun never stops.

Last edited by TJL; 05-31-2018 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Added information.
Jhartz (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Two small nails will also work -- you are just trying to spread the tab -- I'm talking about the plastic snap connectors on the tubes --post #12. Not the metal hose clamps.

The parts diagram is confusing for two reasons. 1. showing both XJR and XJ8 2. Jaguar changed the thermostat connection and eliminated the quick connect on later models. I was told the quick at the thermostat was a failure point.

This is picture of my XJR as delivered and the replacement hose part number -- no quick connect on the 02 XJR at the thermostat. It uses two spring clip hose clamps (special wrench needed) and a 90 degree rubber hose. The replacement line assembly has the rubber 90 connected with the spring clamp. The dealer provided me with a standard hose clamp for the thermoses connection. I can't remember what the later XJ8's had or what occurs when the plastic cover is switched out for aluminum.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Hose Fitting-dsc_0001.jpg   Coolant Hose Fitting-dsc_0002.jpg  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Default quick connect removal

You can get the tool from this link.
Works great and saves a lot of fooling around.
Good Luck,
John
Vernon, BC Canada

https://jaguar.service-solutions.com...303-623&page=1

Old 06-01-2018, 11:13 AM
TJL

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi killercat
Here is what the special tool looks like and how to use it - motorcarman provided this info in a Jaguar TSB PDF file:

Attachment 161101

I actually tried to buy this tool online at jaguar.spx.com - I thought it was high priced for what such a small tool ($19.39) and I would have bought it, but the shipping/handling fee was another $15.00.

Attachment 161102

When I removed the throttle body on our 2001 XJ8, I tried what other forum members sugguested:

"you can use small brad nails - that's what I did. Stick them in at a right angle to the hose in the little slots on each side of the fitting and squeeze them. Many people break these."

"you can improvise with a pair of small flat-blade screwdrivers"

I was not sure how to squeeze properly and I broke the quick fit (norma) connector and I purchased a new hose assembly (over $40).

I still do not know how to disconnect it using the methods quoted above, I think we need one of forum members to post photos of the method used.

Jim Lombardi
I made my own tool out of one of those temporary plastic brackets you have to remove from ceiling fans when you install them new out of the box. Just cut in half , use a dremel grinder and make it close to the $19.00 tool. I made this one in 10 minutes and it worked like a charm. It also has a nice flat spot on top for your thumb.

Last edited by TJL; 06-01-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added information
Jhartz (06-01-2018)
Old 02-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Default How did you install

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Two small nails will also work -- you are just trying to spread the tab -- I'm talking about the plastic snap connectors on the tubes --post #12. Not the metal hose clamps.

The parts diagram is confusing for two reasons. 1. showing both XJR and XJ8 2. Jaguar changed the thermostat connection and eliminated the quick connect on later models. I was told the quick at the thermostat was a failure point.

This is picture of my XJR as delivered and the replacement hose part number -- no quick connect on the 02 XJR at the thermostat. It uses two spring clip hose clamps (special wrench needed) and a 90 degree rubber hose. The replacement line assembly has the rubber 90 connected with the spring clamp. The dealer provided me with a standard hose clamp for the thermoses connection. I can't remember what the later XJ8's had or what occurs when the plastic cover is switched out for aluminum.
Hello, i feel like this isn't working right but here goes. I was wondering how you installed the new hose? Did you pull it under the Supercharger or remove the Supercharger?

Old 03-05-2020, 01:12 PM

thank you jimlombardi

Quick Reply: Coolant Hose Fitting