XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cooling Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Cooling Question

I recently replaced my engine water pump, and about a day or two later, my intercooler pump went out. The engine temps seemed to be normal before I noticed the IC pump went out. After the IC pump went out, the engine temperatures seemed to be 5-10 deg hotter, and I get heat soak after letting it idle for a while. Is the engine temperature normally affected by the intercooler pump not running? It's all in the same cooling system?

I hope I don't have to get a different engine water pump. I've already had trouble with that recently.

Also, I'll be making a road trip. Is there any concern with driving it long distance without the IC pump running?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:08 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I had the same happen to mine, and as long as you can monitor your temps and don't press down on the go juice too hard to make the sc work, you can go a ways. I drove mine a week to work and back with my pump unplugged due to the noise it was making. Yes it'll run hotter, since the intercoolers aren't moving as much to cool themselves down which in turn is going to mean increased underhood, and consequently, engine temps. They are actually two separate system loops, there's a diagram somewhere. I drive 40 miles to work each way, and did alter my route for less hills as much as I could, but even on the ones I had to go up to, I just took it really easy going up them and didn't wind it up and it was fine until I replaced the pump. I replaced the pump (shoddy video is on youtube of it somewhere from when i did it), in about an hour and a half practical time - taking out time to take pictures and junk, and that was with an aftermarket, not an OEM one that will bolt in as a direct replacement. One of those, probably start to finish in half hour, forty five minutes. Yes you can drive without it, but you won't want to for too awful long, just to save those extra few degrees. Key is to keep an eye on your temps and at any sign of uncertainty, pull over to let it cool off a bit. Your ambient temps are higher than mine, so you might already be running a little warmer than I was.