XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Crankshaft seal install

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Crankshaft seal install

Hey all, tonight I attempted to install my newly refurbish crank pulley but when I went to install the crankshaft seal I think I pushed it in too far. I can't seem to pull it back out, anyone got anytips? I really hope I don't have to remove the timing chain cover to do this.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 842 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by OUScooby
Hey all, tonight I attempted to install my newly refurbish crank pulley but when I went to install the crankshaft seal I think I pushed it in too far. I can't seem to pull it back out, anyone got any tips? I really hope I don't have to remove the timing chain cover to do this.
First, don't use any sealant on the outside of the seal or on the hole surface as it makes things very slippery and causes the seal to wiggle out of flat as you try to knock it in. Also, knocking the seal in brings the risk of it skewing; it is much better if you can press it in using a suitable ring and a large washer over it then use the pulley bolt to screw the ring and the seal in.

It looks like one side of your seal has gone in and the other is still a bit out. You can try by knocking the side that has gone in further in and hopefully, the other side will come more out which you can the catch and lever out. Or you can try just levering the side that currently sits a bit out by using a small flat screw driver with a sharpened tip. Knock it somewhat into the side of the seal and try levering it out. In any case, you cannot make it worse - the removal of the timing cover is always there. If you have to damage the seal, it is probably better getting a new one than having to remove the cover.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
First, don't use any sealant on the outside of the seal or on the hole surface as it makes things very slippery and causes the seal to wiggle out of flat as you try to knock it in. Also, knocking the seal in brings the risk of it skewing; it is much better if you can press it in using a suitable ring and a large washer over it then use the pulley bolt to screw the ring and the seal in.

It looks like one side of your seal has gone in and the other is still a bit out. You can try by knocking the side that has gone in further in and hopefully, the other side will come more out which you can the catch and lever out. Or you can try just levering the side that currently sits a bit out by using a small flat screw driver with a sharpened tip. Knock it somewhat into the side of the seal and try levering it out. In any case, you cannot make it worse - the removal of the timing cover is always there. If you have to damage the seal, it is probably better getting a new one than having to remove the cover.
I'll try that, any thats not sealant around the edge of the seal its grease. I'll probably order a new seal just to be safe. At least they are cheap.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

+1 on just buying a new seal instead of pulling the timing cover, if things come to that.

On top of that, it looks like you have the plastic shipping insert on the inside of the seal still in place. You'd want to remove that before installing the crank pulley and seal, can't remember though if that shipping bit is flanged though. If it isn't then you could probably yank it out with the seal installed and it's a non issue. If it is flanged though, you could try and yank on it with pliers to pull the seal out.