XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Did You Know That Your X308.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Hmm, there appears to be some little differences between models or perhaps specific countries. The lumber support works irrespective of key positions on my car, although seat functions are limited after a certain amount of time has elapsed from unlocking the car and activating the ignition. Another little thing they do is if you turn the car off but don’t open the door, you can still operate the windows, which is useful if you open your windows a lot, which I don’t.

The little options that that were available are a little hobby of mine, I have the factory brochure for these. I have the umbrella holder, boot floor carpets, under bonnet tool kit, additional 12v socket in the boot, additional 12v socket in the glove box,Jaguar snow socks and the shopping bag hooks in the boot. I would like to get hold of the other type of torch that was available, which was rechargeable and fitted into a dedicated slot in the glovebox which is where it charged.

I’ve also got an engine block heater new in the box which is OEM equipment, but I’ve never Got round to fitting it. I’m trying to come up with an alternative way of mounting the plug for the power, for some odd reason Jaguar wanted you to have it on the front bumper corner, not very elegant at all!

Old 06-03-2019, 03:04 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Lots of information, my mind is spinning LOL. But a lot of little things I did not know or forgotten about, great thread

The following users liked this post:
wrd0225 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 AM
Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Hmm, there appears to be some little differences between models or perhaps specific countries. The lumber support works irrespective of key positions on my car, although seat functions are limited after a certain amount of time has elapsed from unlocking the car and activating the ignition. Another little thing they do is if you turn the car off but don’t open the door, you can still operate the windows, which is useful if you open your windows a lot, which I don’t.

The little options that that were available are a little hobby of mine, I have the factory brochure for these. I have the umbrella holder, boot floor carpets, under bonnet tool kit, additional 12v socket in the boot, additional 12v socket in the glove box,Jaguar snow socks and the shopping bag hooks in the boot. I would like to get hold of the other type of torch that was available, which was rechargeable and fitted into a dedicated slot in the glovebox which is where it charged.

I’ve also got an engine block heater new in the box which is OEM equipment, but I’ve never Got round to fitting it. I’m trying to come up with an alternative way of mounting the plug for the power, for some odd reason Jaguar wanted you to have it on the front bumper corner, not very elegant at all!
I have not been able to locate the rechargeable torch either. I would like to find the options brochure that you mentioned. Is there a part number on it anyplace that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

Old 06-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aquifer
I have not been able to locate the rechargeable torch either. I would like to find the options brochure that you mentioned. Is there a part number on it anyplace that you wouldn’t mind sharing?
Theres two brochures,

version 1: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173732785291

version 2: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172922126510

they’re great to read through.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

This Limora catalog is interesting to peruse. It has logo'd trunk/boot mats (page 108), logo'd umbrellas (page 126) and a logo'd ballpoint pen.(page 132)
https://www.limora.com/en/turn/pdf/v...le/507956.pdf/

Of course they're in Germany, so probably not practical cost-wise.
https://www.limora.com/
https://www.limora.com/en/british-ca...2003-x308.html

neurojag (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

I have boot floor mats with the leaper logo on, they’re really nice.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
Carnival Kid (06-04-2019), Roldano (06-06-2019), XJDanny (05-17-2020)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Most if the hidden features mentioned are covered in this video

Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by VR6Guru:
cliveb (06-05-2019), Craig Mason (06-28-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:54 AM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
OR....................

Did you know that you can easily check your ride height.

Simply measure from the center of the wheel emblems to the mid-point of the fender arch, and reference this chart.

Probably the easiest way is to have a full tank of gas and use the "Curb" measurements.

Any low ride height measurements usually indicates worn shocks, worn front shock-plates and/or worn rear donut spacers. Replacement of these parts usually brings the ride height back to factory-new specs.

Thanks!

My Front is 14.5" & Rear is 14.0" So, I probably have worn shocks after 90K miles. Must add to my to-do list.

Roldano (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
Thanks!

My Front is 14.5" & Rear is 14.0" So, I probably have worn shocks after 90K miles. Must add to my to-do list.
And if/when you do the rear shocks be sure to also replace the shock donuts, as they will be responsible for a lot of your rear sag.
(item #4 "spring upper insulator" in the link)
https://landrovermerriamparts.com/pa...iagram=4721455

Iconoclast (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Love this thread.

I don't drive the 308 so much since I got the 350, but I've noticed that as I've gotten older the click-clack is way better in the 308 than driving down the freeway with the left blinker on (in the 350) since I can't hear it as well. Very interesting to read the various details that explain how things are decided. Great idea.

One thing I've noticed that has largely been overlooked, though not by me: The best under-hood photos are always by Carnival Kid, since the red clearly sets the sheet metal apart as distinct from the mechanicals, belts & hoses, whatever. His engine compartment is always so sanitized, it looks like it just came from the detailers. Jaguar should use his car as a photo model.

Carnival Kid (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you know that your X308 had these options available when new? I spent quite a bit of time finding these items and installing them in my car. No reason, I just like doing that kind of thing...

Optional lock box. On the floor is the optional trunk floor liner. I don't have a good picture of the liner.

Optional umbrella and mounting straps

Glove box flashlight available for the X308

Under hood tool kit.
You have to tell me where you found this stuff

Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 PM
Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

I use the heck out of the Jaguar Classic Parts website to find various part numbers, and many of the accessories are listed with part numbers too. Once I find a number, I’ve been pretty lucky to find what I’m looking for. I got the flashlight from a Jaguar dealer, and it is new old stock - period correct. The tool kit came from England via eBay, but I’ve since seen more of them in the US. The tool kit I found had never been out of the shrink wrap. The wrap was brittle and broken, but it was still in place. I carefully removed it and installed new shrink wrap because I keep the kit in its place under the hood, and I didn’t want it getting wet.

The umbrella came from a Jag dealer but it is not period correct, although the mounting straps are period correct. The lock box also came from a Jaguar dealer, and it is period correct. I think I found the two piece trunk floor carpet on eBay from a Jaguar dealer. Supposedly new old stock.

I’m studying the links that others posted to see what other accessories or options I like. I won’t opt for the luggage or bicycle racks, but I’d like to find a few more pieces. Namely the rechargeable glove box torch.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...xico-usa-parts

Old 06-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can still get the security box and umbrella straps new from SNG Barratt.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Tusk
You can still get the security box and umbrella straps new from SNG Barratt.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...0Series%20X308

Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Did you know that the X308 has a front roll centre at about -50mm (below the ground) and a rear roll centre at about 100mm (above the ground)?

It utilises a 32.4 mm diameter front anti roll bar and a 15 mm diameter rear one.

I guestimate them at a roll stiffness of about 1900 Nm/deg front and about 120 Nm/deg rear. Softer rear roll stiffness on a rear drive car can help keep the rear wheels planted when powering out of corners.

The torsional rigidity of the X308 is about 13,000 Nm/deg. This compares with the contemporary X100 XK (shorter) or about 15,000 Nm/deg

Old 03-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Just a minor "after-piece" of info..........................

To set the various settings for the audio, Bass/Treble/Balance/Subwoofer etc., you just press the "MODE" button and scroll through the various options. To adjust the desired settings just turn the volume control knob left or right for up or down...........e.g. if you want to increase the Bass setting, press the Mode Button until the Bass setting is highlighted, then turn the volume knob clockwise to the desired setting.

But, and here's the kicker, it doesn't automatically save these settings for all three of the devices, you have to do this individually for the Radio, CD Player & Tape player. It had me a little confused for a while, I would have the radio on, set the desired settings, and then the next time I was in the car I would find they were back to zero, this of course was because this time I had the CD player on, not the radio. I thought there was some mysterious bug that was resetting the settings to zero!

(If you disconnect the battery for whatever reason, all of these settings will return to zero and you will have to re-set all of them again)

cliveb (03-04-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you know that your X308 had these options available when new? I spent quite a bit of time finding these items and installing them in my car. No reason, I just like doing that kind of thing...

Optional lock box. On the floor is the optional trunk floor liner. I don't have a good picture of the liner.

Optional umbrella and mounting straps

Glove box flashlight available for the X308

Under hood tool kit.
Thats the spot where i set my tools when im working on the car.

cliveb (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Or you could go for one of those EXCELLENT aftermarket tool kits!

cliveb (05-09-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Bringing this thread back to life.............................did you know...... that after you turn off the ignition and remove the ignition key in your X308 Jaguar, as long as you don't open a door, for the next 15 seconds you can still operate the driver and front passenger electric windows.

I'm not sure why, but this feature does not allow you to operate the two rear passenger windows during this period.

cliveb (08-02-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Tried the windows after key removal on my XJR and got nothing... maybe it's an AJ27 only feature? Or dealer enabled? I'll dig around for it in SDD once I get that working.

While replacing my driver's door handle, I discovered that any X308 key will lock any X308 (not sure about 6-cut vs 8-cut?), but only your correct key will unlock it.

Quick Reply: Did You Know That Your X308.........