XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

display message "check rear lights"

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default bulb out ... rear... warning

I got the dreaded warning this morning, when I started the jag, on the dash, bulb out rear.

Checked all the lights everything working... hmmm... took them all out everything clean put back in, start car, bulb out rear still on... argh...

drove 20 miles to my mechanic, in the shop for over an hour we checking everything... swap bulbs side to side, they all working fine.... check the battery, weak.... changed battery, and bulb warning went away.... arghh...

$300 bulb check..... one new monster size interstate battery later....lol

everything okay.

The following users liked this post:
JAGLEO (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAME issue and found battery is weak. Also there is another warning msg "check brake fluid" too. Don't know if weak battery could possible trigger "check brake fluid" warning message too.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:19 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

A dead (or weak) battery can cause all sorts of shenanigans with these cars …get that sorted first to see what remains

Old 03-19-2024, 07:52 PM
GVR
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LED Bulbs - Check Rear Lights Error

Dear Jaguettes and Jaguars. I need your help.
I have a European 2001 xjr x308. Ohh to look at it is to fall in love with it! I am making arrangements to be buried in it with both hands at the wheel ( que SRV "Cadillac Coffin" if you know you know!)
I recently had LEDS Bulbs put in on the exterior lights. I had resistors put in for the rear brake lights (bulbs) and everything worked just lovely, AND THEN I leaned a little too forward om my skis! I also had the amber sidelights / running lights installed as I am in Switzerland and they are legal as long as they are amber so I swapped out the amber reflectors and put amber side light housings in...The loom was in the car anyway so I Thought "what the hell. why not." I can be just as cool as the US and UK drivers....that's right!
The rear sidelights wiring was found under the cd player and installed. Same with the front They light up just fine BUT now I get a "Check rear lights Error " as the the voltage draw from the LED bulb is not big enough I have gone through several sets of T10 Canbus Bulbs off of ebay / amazon (crap btw) etc. I am still getting the same error with the a stock T10 jaguar bulb which is interesting
for both rear sidelights;
2 questions
1. Can you recommend a bulb that is canbus that will work in amber to correct this specific problem
OR
2. Do I need to install another set of resistors on the rear side lights. However, I think the wiring might be different for my European Edition car as a US model would not get that
error even if there where no bulb installed...I am am not sure. Anyway I have a box of Swiss chocolate straight from the Lindt factory To kind soul that helps me solve this problem
YES , Consolation Prizes are also available.
OR
Am I wrong on both counts .. have checked battery its good btw. So to recap LED bulbs installed all around resistors for brake lights everything worked. AND THEN I had the sidelights installed
everything lights as it should but when i hit break " Check Rear light Error" with Leds bulbs. If I remove LED BULBS for rear sidelights and install factory halogen Bulbs I still get the error.
thank you in advance. Rear Lighting diagram is courtesy of Miss Penelope , thank you for that Miss Peneolpe

Attached Files