XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Door puddle lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Door puddle lights

Been fiddling with my door lately, took of the door panel to fix the latch. Now I see that my puddle lights are off both rear passenger doors. But the both front door are working. Checked the bulbs and they're all good. Tried to look for a fuse but no such luck. Anyone can help out here? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Wire squeezed and grounding?
Limit switch indicating door open?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Wire squeezed and grounding?
Limit switch indicating door open?
well I just fixed the door open problem by adjusting the striker. Just noticed that interior lights won't open when I open that door. SMH.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 AM

anyone out there who can help me? is it the latch microswitch? but how come only both the rear doors has no puddle light? and when i open the rear passenger door ht einterior lights won't open? starting to frustrate me, having thoughts of just selling the car and go back to german cars.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by maniqz
starting to frustrate me, having thoughts of just selling the car and go back to german cars.
Yeah, like older Geman cars are free of problems ...

I am rather sure you got a problem like a short, a pinched wire, a stuck mechanism, or whatsoever, which is noticed by the module, which then disconnect several functions as a precaution.
I should start checking the work you had done, fair chance you will find it.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Don B (03-29-2017), maniqz (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

This will probably get me kicked off the forum . . .

Eric is spot on: "start checking the work you had done," the second most useful tool in your toolbox, second to patience.

Lots of times when working on my car, I found lots of my problems were due to lack of care in installing a part: double check that you have those connectors snapped in correctly, are they clean (use electrical cleaner), check you have not pinched (grounded) a wire, lightly lube the switches, check the fuses (this model has lots of fuses).

And as frequently as my old Jag used to break (components wear due to age more often than mileage), it was light years ahead of my 88 325IS (a German with the same crappy Bosch, Lucas, Denso, Seiman, TRW junk). It used to frustrate me that most of the stuff that went wrong was TRW parts as I was a TRW marketing puke.

Last edited by Jhartz; 03-29-2017 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jhartz:
Don B (03-29-2017), maniqz (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is my first Jag but I am really enjoying the car, it just that electrical problems really frustrates me. I just found out that the passenger door in question when I left it open I can still remotely lock the car no open passenger door warning. That shows me that the microswitch is busted.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi maniqz,

Electrical issues can be frustrating on any make of car. The great news about Jaguars is the availability of factory service documentation. For example, you can download the Electrical Guide at the link below:

2001 X308 Electrical Guide

This contains the schematics that show how your doors are wired, the fuses and relays via which their various circuits receive power, and the ground points that complete the circuits. Take the time to study and understand the information in this manual and you will be well-equipped to diagnose the majority of electrical issues with your Jag.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
maniqz (03-29-2017)