XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

driver side window will not go down

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, went for lunch and sure enough, drivers window no worky. Even my sunroof is doing wacky things, I open it and it closes by itself. Ughhh

Old 03-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Short lived. Driving home from work the transmission broke and had to have it towed home. I guess I am done with the XJ8. Going to sell it as/is. Bummer.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuse #15 in the drivers back seat heel board is the drivers door ECU, 25A. It is a part of the doors main switch pack and the global windows feature and also controls the sunroofs' closure when locking with the key that also activates and deactivates the alarm and central locking tied in with the other doors ECU's. Theres a lot of "convenient" electromechanical systems tied into "simply" locking and unlocking this car; even the J-gate, the button on the dash board, the door plungers, and the interior door handles to name a few. The handles use cables to the door latch that stretch and won't open the door from the inside. In my case when its cold that key barrel gets sticky and gets hung up with the global feature for a split second and the computer thinks you want to unroll the windows on a hot summer day to cool the cabin but is 25 degrees outside. Also the other doors' power lock actuators could be getting hung up cause they are gummed up. It will generally happen, to me, when i turn past 1/8, ish, turn and it starts the global windows feature hick-up. Not so much when using the fob. Electromechanical systems are full of sensors, potentiometers and moving parts that get dirty, gummy, old and out of tolerance and then don't like to work that sets off the electric gremlin side of things. When I discover my drivers window suddenly won't open I pull and reinsert fuse 15 and use the fob for the rest of the winter. Apologies if there were redundant sentences covered already in the post.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same recurring problem with the driver’s window not opening. After changing fuses, getting door computer “fixed” with new connections, etc, doing multiple hard resets, the final thought was that perhaps it is a software problem. The fix? Whenever I open the window, I hold the button down until I hear a soft click. When closing the window, I do the same (wait for the click). That has fixed the problem, going on a year! I think the computer “forgets” what to do, and by holding the button down, it resets itself. The sunroof did the same thing and even though I very rarely open it, holding the button down keeps it from sticking shut.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 XJ8 drivers window

Just wanted to thank all of you, disconnecting the negative terminal resolved the problem
My window now works properly. Now the sunroof, any suggestions will be appreciated. .
In time I hope to contribute as you fine gentlemen have. Thanks, Dinty

Old 09-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here they are again.

Be aware that the X300 1995-1997 sedans have the exact same sliding roof as the X308 sedans. All parts and info are the same.

bob

Attached Files
Old 09-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dinty
Just wanted to thank all of you, disconnecting the negative terminal resolved the problem
My window now works properly. Now the sunroof, any suggestions will be appreciated. .
In time I hope to contribute as you fine gentlemen have. Thanks, Dinty
Regarding the Drivers Door Module window fault.

I have done the 'power-disconnect' to reset the module but you might want to find the fuse in the left hand heelboard fusebox and pull it to disconnect the module rather than upset the P1111 in the ECM for State Inspection purposes if you live in an area that requires all readiness tests be performed and passed!!
Disconnecting the battery ERASES all readiness tests.

State Inspections FAIL when the ECM logs P1000 (readiness tests not complete)

Pulling the fuse accomplishes the same thing to the door module as disconnecting the battery but does not affect the ECM.

Just a suggestion.

bob

Old 05-23-2022, 12:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there!

My pal is a bit older and he has a 1998 Jaguar XJ8. He doesn't use computers so I thought I'd try and help him. I have a a 1996 XJ6 x300 myself and have fixed a few things thaks to this fantastic forum!! THANK YOU! So far, I've seen the notes on this thread and then told about a fuse in the rear drivers side heel fuse box. I mentioned to him that he should find the fuse that controls the door module- I think its a 15 amp and pull this and inspect. But first I figured I'd post his exact problem to narrow it down. Maybe the exact condition and history can shed some light on the issue? last year, his front drivers and front passenger and rear drivers windows stopped working from the inside buttons. the rear passenger window always worked. He could still open and close all the windows with the drivers key. He has no fobs.

Yesterday he found that now the drivers key doesn't operate his windows any more. the 2 fronts are stuck open The rear passenger window still works with that door switch and also still works with the drivers door switch.

He tried again today with the rear drivers door and it went down but now wont come back up. The rear passenger door window still working fine.

Any thoghts well appreciated

Thanks

Basil

Old 05-23-2022, 01:55 PM

I would perform a HARD reset with the battery disconnect and see if that clears all the network 'traffic'.
The master window switchpack might have failed?
Usually water is the switch will 'kill' them.

The following users liked this post:
RandyS (06-02-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 05:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Motorcarman!

My pal ordered a window switchpack used for 45 dollars. He pulled the door panel which was a bit involved he reports. He installed switch and now all of his windows wrk normally! Meanwhile I took my jaguar 1996 XJ6 up from Boston to Canada for it's longest road trip yet!

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (06-01-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 302 Posts

Yep, water and electrical switches rarely play well together.
Great call motorcarman! You are the hero!