XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Electrical Gremlins Trunk Lock Actuator / RF Door Power Lock Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlins Trunk Lock Actuator / RF Door Power Lock Actuator

Ok, so I got the car up and running, thanks to valuable input from this forum, and now I'm ready to start chasing down some electrical issues I've been living with:
1. RF door lock actuator. It started acting up by rising back up after all doors have locked when using remote fob. Now it just stays up/unlocked. Any thoughts on what to look at? I have a spare drivers door with parts, depending on your input, can a part from the drivers door be used? I also remember seeing a thread that mentioned the use of ford replacement part........
2. Trunk does not unlock or lock using remote. Dealer looked at and sugested a new harness. I've taken a quick look at the harness and it appears ok, although the interior trunk lights do not work either (bulbs are good). Can I trouble shoot the actuator by alternately applying 12v to connection pins & do I ground unit, or ground the opposite pin? If I need a harness, any good sources of supply?
3. If I use the key to lock or unlock vehicle, my drivers window will not work, and the sun roof will open then close when attempting to open. Could it be the door module? Again, I have a spare door to rob parts from.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm slowly trying to get this baby back to 100%.
Ralph

Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm not sure about 1 & 3, but for #2 check the wire bundle that goes through the right rear boot hinge (looking from rear). It's very common for one or more of the wires to break there due to flexing. I had a couple of them broken and one was the trunk (boot) light. When that was broken, the security system went flakey too. It might be related to the other problems. It seems every one of these cars develops that particular problem eventually. You do need to take off the plastic cover on the boot hinge and take the tape off the wires, then you'll need some wire connectors and a crimper.

The following users liked this post:
Edward_Woodward (05-27-2020)