XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine Failsafe mode-no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Failsafe mode-no start

Hi All,
I read as many posts as I could but I don't seem to be able to find an answer. I have a 01 XJ8, and after driving for 30 min or so, if I stop, go into a store and then return, the car will not start and the engine failsafe mode is displayed. Engine will turn over just fine. I tried turning off the cruse control which did not help. I read that maybe the break switch? If I park the car over night, it starts just fine with no engine failsafe mode indicator (engine cool). Heat related? I had the battery checked and the charging system checked, to no avail, it checks out fine. Took to a repair shop twice, so far they can't find anything (but is sits and cools off before they work on it). This is getting $$$$. It's driving me nuts, and I can't safely stop anywhere with out this happening. HELP!

Old 05-27-2016, 07:36 AM

Yes the brake switch appears to be the prevailing solution on this thread. Are you seeing any error codes?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM

If they found any, they did not share that info. I'm picking up a reader this weekend. I will try the brake switch, but not sure how that could be heat related-if it is?? Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Default XK8

Hi I have the same problem with my '98 XK8 not starting immediately. The mechanic advises that the original models were built with one type of piston lining which was replaced in later years. The old type isn't air tight allowing same to flood (petrol) hence it will not start. The plugs need to be removed, oil is dropped into the cylinder to form a seal , then it will restart. But as you say grrrrrrrrr annoying and something of a design fault which one would not expect from a Jag. My XK had to be RAC recovered to the garage this morning for same problem.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by cygnus x1
If they found any, they did not share that info. I'm picking up a reader this weekend. I will try the brake switch, but not sure how that could be heat related-if it is?? Thanks for the reply.
The brake switch is in the engine compartment so it may be affected when the engine warms up.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by alans
Hi I have the same problem with my '98 XK8 not starting immediately. The mechanic advises that the original models were built with one type of piston lining which was replaced in later years. The old type isn't air tight allowing same to flood (petrol) hence it will not start. The plugs need to be removed, oil is dropped into the cylinder to form a seal , then it will restart. But as you say grrrrrrrrr annoying and something of a design fault which one would not expect from a Jag. My XK had to be RAC recovered to the garage this morning for same problem.
Yeah the original cylinder liners were made of Nikasil which was very susceptible to the sulphur in the fuel before low-sulphur fuel became the norm. As far as I know the phenomenon you describe above is known as "bore wash". The only way to avoid it (that I'm aware of) is to make sure that you always run the engine up to temperature before switching off and also never rev the engine just before you switch it off.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks for all the replys. My XJ8 vin-puts me beyond the Nikasil cylinder liners and my brake switch is in the passenger compartment right next to the brake pedal. But I'll keep looking and thanks for the help.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by cygnus x1
Thanks for all the replys. My XJ8 vin-puts me beyond the Nikasil cylinder liners and my brake switch is in the passenger compartment right next to the brake pedal. But I'll keep looking and thanks for the help.
My apologies. I was thinking of the brake switch in the XK8. You're absolutely correct - the brake pedal is in the cabin of the XJ

Old 05-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

When this issue happens with me, I shift to neutral and try to start the car. It usually works and error message disappears. Then check your battery voltage is above 12.5V when you get home.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:15 AM

I did the same thing, shift to neutral and it starts. I had the battery- charging system checked ...OK, when this first started to happen. New battery installed last year Sept. Only happens when temp is 75+ and car run for more that 25 min. Below 70...it never happens. Is there a switch somewhere (trans..etc) that could be causing it not sensing that it is park? Got a error code of P0652?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

I think that if the car starts in neutral, the transmission switch needs to be realigned. Most Indies can do it. Many threads -- most with pictures -- on how to do the alignment.

As it heats up, critical parts stretch and change the alignment

Old 06-13-2016, 02:06 PM

Jim,
Have a link you can point me to? Did a search but did not come up with much. Anything in the TSB links?

Old 06-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

How To: Repair the J-Gate (shifter assembly) Backlight.

Try here first. There are some over on the XK forum, as well

Old 06-13-2016, 06:50 PM

Will do. Is this switch inside the car...near the shift lever, or under the car on the transmission? I also checked the OBII codes again and I also have P2127. I will look at the link and take it apart this weekend. Thanks for your help.