XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

First gen vs. second gen tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First gen vs. second gen tensioners

I have read some discussion about the second generation tensioners put out by Jaguar. Supposedly the second generations, while still plastic, are more durable than the first generation tensioners. Is there a chance I have second-gen tensoiners ('99 XJ8), or is there a way for me to tell? I'm hoping to buy some time because I don't have the cash for a tensioner job, even if I do it myself.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts
Default RE: First gen vs. second gen tensioners

yes, there is an easy way to tell,

apart from the age, which tells me your car may have second generation tensioners , the engine model number will also give us that information . but be care full, as US imported cars are slightly older revisions (MY wise) than the ones sold in the UK.....for obvious reasons....

the original XJ8 V8 engine is known as an AJ26 , the very slightly revised AJ27 V8 engine was fitted from mid 99 onwards, but this would have to be confirmed by VIN and engine number . there are only a few main differences that can be seen from the outside , firstly , the throttle body was fully electronic, there is no vacuum reservoir along side the TB , then there are the VVT solenoids on top of the cam covers, the AJ26 engine had a different setup, but beware these are only fitted to the 4ltr and normally aspirated engines, then there are the spark plug coils, these changed from twin wire operation to a 4 wire system for each coil

this AJ27 engine had second generation tensioners fitted as standard, these are , as you stated , still plastic, and can be seen in my ' i changed the tensioners myself ' post i put up a few months back, they are more durable than the original ones, but still fail in a very similar way, third generation tensioners were still plastic, and only the 4th generation metal ones from the revised 4.2 V8 are recommended for replacement,

there are a few more modifications to an AJ27 engine, but its all a bit technical, lol

hope this helps

BB

Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought there were 3 generations of tensioners, the 3rd being the all metal? Correct me if i'm wrong.

** If the noise/noises are getting worse by the day/startup, then I'm sure most would suggest not even driving the car until you can get the replacement done. Unless that is the only way you're able to commute, I wouldn't even suggest driving it, not worththe stress.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no abnormal noises at the moment. However, the car is getting to around 65K miles and I'm beginning to get concerned. I simply don't have the funds for a major repair, but I also dread the possibility that if the tensioners go I may wind up selling the car for scrap.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: orca99usa
Unfortunately that's all you'll be able to do if you don't complete the job eventually. I know it's saddening, all cars have dropped in price so much that yes you can buy this whole car for $6000k total now, even in cosmetically mint condition. Hopefully you got a good tranny as well, just another problem they had on these early years.

If you're worried about yourfinacial situation, i'm really doubting you're going to go to the dealer. So you will definitely need to purchase the tools, unless you know any independent mechanics with euro tools. I'd get the job tools first, at least that's a starting place and fairly cheap, i'll sell you mine for $180 shipped like stated.