XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

gen 5 versus gen 3 blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:40 PM
ud
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default gen 5 versus gen 3 blower

Ok well got a great deal on a 2006 XJR Gen 5 supercharger (200.00) ive been having rear bearing noises wks fine but got me nervous. I was gunna just fix it as I have been working on my kenny bell twin screw kit but after all the little things tht keep poping up an andre helping me and explaining things i will need to address with that project, I have put it aside for a bit and decided to see how far I can take the roots. Not only tht but i work in the oil fields so 3 weeks on 2 weeks off so gone alot.

The Gen 3 blower that comes on the 98 too 03 is a good blower being an M112 but I wanted to go with a Gen 5 being they are a better design. I already knew that it comes with better more efficent teflon coated rotors and heli cut gears but after doing side by side comparisons breaking out the calipers and doing measurements, there a number of subtle small differences tht also make it a better blower.

The rotor timing seems to have been optimized better, this is evident in the fact that the housing noise slots are not only slightly shorter (measured 3 centimeters shorter) but also noticably thinner (only 2 centimeters versus 4 for the gen 3). Thus making the blower leakage less and the blower more efficient. The inlet roof is raised slightly over the gen 3 providing better air pathway. Even though it looks smaller due to odd shape the inlet is a few centimeters bigger. Outlet seems the same still but its a good design anyway. Also the rear bearing are much larger and durable but this was known beforehand.

Got it all put together and as we all know the best way to make the roots more efficient and powerful as well as run cooler is getting the air in as best and easily as possible. So I took the time last night to do a very deep port and polish of the intake manny. i gasket matched the entire thing then went to town removing casting, any obstructions, and smoothing the TB area as it has a huge lip right after entry smoothed it all, opened it up, polished and airsteamed it to as perfect as I could get it ,spent a good 4 hours on it till it was perfect. Also did a nice job on the outlet hat as well. Tb will be getting shipped off in a few weeks to www.maxbore.com to be taken to maximum size as well. Having a new inlet tube made of polished aluminum gunna stick with the stock airbox as its a very nice design. I will be having www.posiperformance.com take a look at my blower to see if porting is worth it. I have been a big fan of his work not having anything against steg but the guys at posi hold all the records for ported eatons. They take their time, flow test the blower many times during the porting process and get you the best flowing blower possible without sacrificing any low end boost or efficency. If he says he can see some hidden power then Ill give it a shot if not ill let the blower do its thing while i continue to try and improve the inlet side.

Got it together last night an even without the TB or new inlet tube the thing is a HUGE difference and pulls much harder. Boost on my gauge is a solid 12psi all the way to redline with zero fall off.

The pics are of my stock blower gen 3 (65k miles) next to the almost new gen 5 (7K miles) as you can see the difference in the silencer ports and the back you can see the slightly raised inlet. Also the black rotors are the teflon coated versus the regular grey in the gen 3. I was shocked when i recieved the gen 5 it looks like its new from jag never would have guessed it has any use. Rotors are perfect zero wear, no scuffing of them not even on the edges, no noise, tight bearings simply amazing.

So just some food for thought if you come across one its a worthwhile upgrade to the gen 3 blower. I will be doing a lower pulley upgrade soon as well to see if tht makes a nice difference. Hoping ill be able to help the efficency of the blower on the inlet side to help keep iat's in check. Will be looking into improving the cooling power of the intercoolers soon.

Attached Images   

Last edited by XJR-0220; 05-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

The one on the right looks like my 2004 blower.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM
ud

Yeah you have the gen 5 as well Adam, i followed your build thread nice job on tht by the way, the 2 pics above the one taken showing the tops the gen 3 is on the right and in the pic showing the inlet aka the backside the gen 5 is on the right. The gen 5 was used til I think 08 i may be mistaken but after tht its a TVS which I would love to find one tht I can mod to fit. But my then Ill have my KB in I hope and working. I know everyone says the blower is maxed from the factory an I call BS i refuse to give up this same size blower is killing it on cobras and lightnings and making alot more power when overdriven and ported so i still say its the inlet and such holding it back so just have to keep working on it.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Yeah you have the gen 5 as well Adam, i followed your build thread nice job on tht by the way, the 2 pics above the one taken showing the tops the gen 3 is on the right and in the pic showing the inlet aka the backside the gen 5 is on the right. The gen 5 was used til I think 08 i may be mistaken but after tht its a TVS which I would love to find one tht I can mod to fit. But my then Ill have my KB in I hope and working. I know everyone says the blower is maxed from the factory an I call BS i refuse to give up this same size blower is killing it on cobras and lightnings and making alot more power when overdriven and ported so i still say its the inlet and such holding it back so just have to keep working on it.
there was a TVS for $600 a while back on eBay.

As far as the M112, I think the main reason Cobras can be pushed harder is the extra displacement they have. The eaton is not bad at moving air, its just not the best at compressing it.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 105 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by adam699
there was a TVS for $600 a while back on eBay.

As far as the M112, I think the main reason Cobras can be pushed harder is the extra displacement they have. The eaton is not bad at moving air, its just not the best at compressing it.
Cobras have it easier because they have better flow through the grill and there are so many cheap and large heat exchangers for them. I had a real big Afco one with dual fans and a large coolant tank just for the blower that I could put ice into if I wished. With a 2.86" pulley the cars IATs never went above ambient untill 3rd gear near 7000 RPM and even then it was only 20* above.

For the dyno run I put ice water in the tank and the cars IAT stayed 20* below ambient (90*) for the whole dyno session.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 105 Likes on 54 Posts

Now if I could find a gen 5 for $200 I would snag it up! Cheapest I find them is $600.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM
ud

Yeah it was a huge lucky find in fact had to be a typo but the guy on the phone said hey it says 200 so he charged me what it said. Like i said only had 7000 miles on it and when I got it looked like i just had picked it up new from jag LOL.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:21 PM
ud

I want a TVS bad though wonder if there would be a way to do like a 122/112 hybrid or something hummmmmmmm gears are turning

Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM

I think a back mount turbo and a compound setup would be nicer

Old 05-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Chris what ever happened to the polished supercharger that I sent you? I have never heard anything further about it.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:34 PM
ud

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Chris what ever happened to the polished supercharger that I sent you? I have never heard anything further about it.
email me or call me you have both

Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey xjr0220,

I got a question for you..i saw this thread and it seems your quite knowledgable with the blowers on these cars..i just bought a 98 xjr. it has
new blower..prob like a 1000 miles on it..i just bought the car and i didnt hear the blower when it was first put on...it seems very loud at idle..it has a metal to metal ish sound as soon as it comes off idle it seems ok but at idle it sounds like something isn't right..this is my first supercharged car so i don't know what a good one or a bad one sounds like so i asked my boss (the guy i bought the car from) and said thats what it sounded like when he put it on..i cant imagine that its supposed to sound like that..growling metal on metal sound..are these usually on the loud side with a growling metal ish sound.. also how sensitive to heat are they...the car has been hot a couple times..not like totally out of coolant hot but the coolant was pissing out the overflow and gurgling...come to find out the fans werent working..thats fixed now but like i said the car did get pretty hot... but my boss also said that the blower sounded exactly the same when he put it on as it does now..not sure im believing him lol...

Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 PM
ud

No u honestly shouldnt be hearing the blower operate at all, in fact under boost I hardly hear mine. I wouyld prefer to hear it more when under boost but sounds like you have either a bad snout bearing or the rrear bearings are bad. Could also be the idler but easiest way to make sure its the supercharger is disconnect the belt to the charger and start it. This will not hurt the motor at all and if the noise is gone its somewhere in the supercharger system if its still thgere time to look at other parts like secondary tensioners and such.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM

[quote=XJR-0220;520304]No u honestly shouldnt be hearing the blower operate at all, in fact under boost I hardly hear mine

thats what i was thinking...this thing sounds like crap!!!! I'm prett sure its still under warranty

thanks a lot bro

Old 05-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

[QUOTE=rocket;520327]
Originally Posted by XJR-0220
No u honestly shouldnt be hearing the blower operate at all, in fact under boost I hardly hear mine

thats what i was thinking...this thing sounds like crap!!!! I'm prett sure its still under warranty

thanks a lot bro
Obviously a second hand unit with miles on it, the sound your hearing is worn coupler and snout bearings, the rotors are clipping each other at idle (and when it comes off revs) the way to sort this is a snout rebuild.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=Sean B;520371]
Originally Posted by rocket

Obviously a second hand unit with miles on it, the sound your hearing is worn coupler and snout bearings, the rotors are clipping each other at idle (and when it comes off revs) the way to sort this is a snout rebuild.
Actually it's a new reman with about 1000 miles on it. It was put on the car last fall and he said that it sounded like that right when he put it on and fired it up for the first time. It sure doesn't sound right to me. Lots of rattling in there!!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM
ud

yeah definitely not ok and not correct. Get it taken care of before something worse happens

The following users liked this post:
rocket (05-29-2012)