XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hard Shifts and Occasional Trans Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Shifts and Occasional Trans Noise

Everyone,

I've been working on my father-in-law's newly acquired '01 JX8 that had some issues but working through them. Previous owner had the car sitting for a couple of years with "transmission problems", I finally went for a drive this weekend and noticed two things-
1. Very hard/firm upshifts, downshifts seemed normal
2. Occasional whirring noise from the transmission, almost sounded like a straight cut gear whirring sound. Only last a couple of seconds and noticed it twice on my 5 mile drive.

The trans fluid level has been checked, havent checked any codes from the TCM as there's no warning light or message. The car goes through all gears and other than the items stated above drives fine, I could see a valve body issue for the shifts but any and all information is greatly appreciated as I couldn't find anything in my search....

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Just finished putting my transmission back into my car after replacing part of the valve body and a new "a' drum. I was getting a bit of slipping and it jerked into gear a couple of times before I decided to take it off the road. It is now as smooth as can be and seems to be running great (knock on wood). Do you know if they removed the transmission at any time? I ask this because if they had taken the trans out they may have not gotten the torque converter fully seated. I had to remove the trans after putting it in once because I did not get the converter fully seated and it sheared the tabs off the oil pump gear. The guys at Ericksson Industries helped me diagnose the problem because they said they had a customer who was able to drive around a couple of weeks instead of minutes (like mine) before it broke. Once mine broke I did not have any gears at all. There was a gear whine sound coming from the torque converter area after the oil gear had broken. Good luck to you.