XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Default Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?

I've been looking at removing my power antenna and getting the hidden antenna one like they have on eBay. Has anyone gotten one of these, how well do they work? Mine is a 2000 VDP.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, this is like my last question a month ago....don't all answer at once..LOL ...I do appreciate any responses.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but my only comment is -- I've never heard of that! Do you have a link to one on ebay?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but my only comment is -- I've never heard of that! Do you have a link to one on ebay?
Here ya go... Hidden Antenna Kit 1998 thru 2004 Jaguar XJ8 | eBay

I went ahead an ordered one, I get so tired of that ugly antenna and having to put it down at the car wash.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Here ya go... Hidden Antenna Kit 1998 thru 2004 Jaguar XJ8 | eBay

I went ahead an ordered one, I get so tired of that ugly antenna and having to put it down at the car wash.

Keep us posted on how this works out for you.

I pulled the fuse on my antenna.

Could Jaguar have made the stock antennas any longer?

These things are waaaaaay too big and ruin the looks of the car IMHO.

Stewart

Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

I don't mind the antenna, but I don't like the fact that it goes up even when using my iPhone adapter which uses the CD input. I wired a switch in a different vehicle years ago, might look into doing that in my Jaguar.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

The end on the cable shown in the ebay picture will not mate to the power antenna cable in the trunk that leads back to the radio - it uses a different connector. Running the new antenna cable all the way back to the radio is a challenging project

Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
The end on the cable shown in the ebay picture will not mate to the power antenna cable in the trunk that leads back to the radio - it uses a different connector. Running the new antenna cable all the way back to the radio is a challenging project

I received the piece, but I am out of town for a couple weeks. The device comes with an additional connector cable (coax connector type).

Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I received the piece, but I am out of town for a couple weeks. The device comes with an additional connector cable (coax connector type).
Please let us know how well it works once you have installed it

Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

This link Hidden Antenna Kit - 1997 thru 2005 Jaguar XK8 shows an additional wire that apparently has female connectors on both ends to be used between the car's antenna cable and the hidden antenna cable. If this is the "coax" one mentioned above, this would be an easy install in the trunk.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, I finally made it back home....after install I found the FM signal to be pretty descent, I get all my local Orlando stations. The AM is kinda weak, because of the all steel body.

As for the antenna connectors, if you are using the direct connection to the head unit, you won't need the additional lead provided. If you are using the antenna in the trunk, then you will need the coax connector.
I couldn't find a reasonable location on the front wind screen for it to be camoflaged.
The best place I found to put the antenna is on the upper back window where the rear defroster blackout is. Put it to the right looking out away from the wire so as not to catch something on fire if you use the defroster. It is practically unoticeable there and looks like it belongs.
You then take the wire and fish it under the headliner to the passenger side pillar. Pull the cover back (not necessary to remove it completely) and using the top hole with the black round cover tape, its the largest. Then using a flexible thin rod of some type, you tape the antenna lead onto the rod and push it down inside the pillar hole. I do this for a living and the rod is called a 'green rod' or 'glow rod/stick', you can pick them up at Home Depot electrical.
So once you push the rod down it will bottom out. Go into the trunk and reach up the cavity behind the antenna and there will be a hole to the left and the rod should be there. Pull the wire and the rod down to the trunk and untape it and pull the rod back out.
Once the wire is pulled down (I left about 6" in the headliner) put the tape back around the pillar hole and reinstall the felt liner.

Now unplug the white antenna power lead and hook up your coax lead connectors. Using a red inline splice, connect the 22 guage wire from the lead to a hot wire. I used the brown/green wire. Once you do this and if you have the radio on you will instantly hear a difference from the amplified antenna being powered. If you hook this directly to the battery (not recommended), you may be charging it later if you don't drive it for a spell. You need a power source that shuts down after turning the car off. That's why I used the antenna wiring, it only comes on when the radio is on.
The pics match the process and I included a final pic that shows how well hidden it is where I recommended.

Attached Thumbnails Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-001.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-002.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-003.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-004.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-005.jpg  

Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-006.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-007.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-008.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-009.jpg   Hidden antenna kit, does anyone have one?-jag-hidden-antenna-install-010.jpg  

Last edited by Highhorse; 10-18-2013 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Platinum XJR (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Very nice write up!

You did an excellent job!

Thanks for documenting this.

Stewart