XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Ignition interferance on the radio -->Solution!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:27 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Ignition interferance on the radio -->Solution!

I have just recently, since i have been listening more and more on the radio and it started to really get to me, invested a couple of days worth of troubleshoting this problem. First i tried all the simple things that are easily done like cleaning plugs, coilpacks connectors etc. etc. But without any luck at all.

Thinking back, it did start after replacing sparkplugs and doing so, messing with the coilpacks. I totally missed out on this problem since i at the time only listened on CD's.

My train of thought went like this: Crackle on the radio that follows engine rpm --> open air spark somewhere --> most likely orginating from coilpacks --> energy from coilpacks skipping the intended lead and jumpinga cross? --> Crackle!

I suspected that the energy either skipped the little spring entirely or maybe one or two turns, here and there.. randomly..

So, i removed all coilpacks, removed the rubber sleeves from them and took a closer look at the little Mickey Mouse seized cheap coiled spring, connecting the tip of the coilpack to the top of the sparkplug. They all did, after a little closer inspection, look more or less covered in dirt and a thin layer of corrosion, the same applied to all of the tips on the coilpacks..

-All of thoose tips got cleaned so they looked nice again, then i got some copper braid, the small type you would use to suck up exessive solder when soldering.. cut pieces of the braid and stuck it inside the little springs and folded it over the ends and then i assembied it all again..

Im happy to tell you that i have not had a single crackle on the radio caused by the mighty Jaguar engine ever since :-)

I don't know if it's possible to buy these springs separately, but this "improvement" are by all accounts simple and very cheap thing to try.
/E

The following 3 users liked this post by Einhead:
ericjansen (05-02-2017), motorcarman (05-02-2017), omgimali (05-02-2017)