XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Imaginary real problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Imaginary real problems

I had some problems that been on my mind the past week. Well, not problems per say as they are not issues yet. This covers a few different topics but rolled them into one to save on postings.

Car in question 2000 Jag VDP 51,000 on the odo now. "having so much fun with the Jag that I forgot to drive any of my other cars until yesterday to find the batteries dead "

1) Last oil change, one dude mentioned something about a fuel injector cleaning. They mentioned the process that involves more than dumping a bottle of stuff in the tank but less tedious than taking the fuel injectors off. I'm thinking about doing it as I figure it cant hurt nothing but not really expecting any difference in performance as the car runs just fine whetherr cruising or getting my speed demon on. No tickets yet (knock on boxwood). Is this a safe thing to do? For example, vintage 80s BMW recommends against it due to the filters in the injectors as cleaning process that do not involve cleaning each injector just clogs up injectors even more from the "gunk" that is removed from the rest of the fuel system. My dumb behind allowed someone to do it anyways before asking first and low and behold every single fuel injector is certified clogged. Dont want this to happen to the Jag. Granted, the fuel system should be a lot cleaner than the one of the previous owner neglected BMW that I'm bringing back (slowly but surely) to former glory.

2) Timing chain tensioners! Where is a good spot to get the 3rd gen secondary tensioners outside the dealership, preferable online. There is only one Jag dealership (Jag/Audi/Subaru combined.) in entire El Paso. No noise so far but want to go ahead and upgrade them while I can before the last independent guy in town that can work on this car retires. Two already retired and one left for Dallas.

3) Blasted coolant light. The coolant light comes on and off but the coolant level is proper and was checked with the oil change with no top up needed.) What can cause this? It's more of an annoyance than anything. The coolant guage stays in the usual dead middle after warming up from cold.

4) Transmission gasket leak. The oil change place dude also said there was a transmission pan leak, which curiously no other mechanic can find thus far, and neither can I. Anyways, though, I'm not itching to buy a new transmission anytime soon and I dont beleive in that lifetime fluid crap. Thus, anyone ever changed the filter? And how is the fluid, to the proper level put back into the transmission. The gasket would be changed anyways when the pan comes off.

4a) What monkey came up with the idea of removing the transmission dipstick anyways! "Hey, I have a bright idea. Lets use the same fluids that have been used for years and recommended changing every so often and turn it into lifetime fluid by...Removing the dipstick! Ha! I'ma genius!"

Old 03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

On #2 there's a good place in your neck of the woods that I get parts from all the time. They may not be the cheapest however -

Timing Chain Tensioner - Jaguar Parts and Land Rover Parts

Don't forget you need the shorter bolts also for the metal secondary timing chain tensioners.

On #3, check that the slider inside the coolant reservoir is free to slide up and down. It's a little tight to get your fingers in there. On mine, I think the PO had put some stop leak or something in there and I had to remove the reservoir and clean it out good with detergent to get the low coolant sensor working right again.

On #4, I dropped the pan and changed the filter and refilled with fluid - I got the filter, gasket and fluid from Motorcars (above). I did another drain and refill a couple of months later because you cannot drain the torque convertor - unless you go through a more complicated procedure - which I didn't. There is a procedure for making sure the level is correct and it's very important. Better search on that one or start another thread.

Cheers and good luck !