XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I've changed these 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Stop making me think about nitrous
Are you kidding me, brother, I'm your pusher!

As soon as I get it all worked out and tested I'm EXPECTING you to do the same <--what a perfect icon

The following users liked this post:
Michael Star (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJRChad
I just had both fuel pumps and the lines from the tank replaced, and I am now smelling gas, especially under hard throttle. My gas mileage has dropped by 4-5 MPH, and the car idles and runs perfect until you hit about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The exhaust seems to have a different odor, also. I hope my convertors didn't get ruined when the shop repeatedly cycled the key to check the pumps. I also notice that the fuel filler door doesn't quite close, as it now contacts the gas cap.

I would love to add some mods after the XJR is paid off. Right now, I can barely afford to keep it and my wife's van on the road. Thank God I work at a parts store! Lol.
Sounds like you ought to go back and have the mechanics fix what they screwed up. They are not doctors, they do not get paid to "practice", they have to get it right, which they obviously did not.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey WaterDragon--I am not usually in this forum but your post was intriguing. One question I had was a comment you made some posts back about likely problems passing smog with the Nameless Performance cats. I was toying around with going with these at some point in the future.

But my question is how do you get through the smog check? Even aside from the cats I would think the other stuff you have done would trigger automatic fails from a smog check station.

Doug

Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

No problems smogging.

When I smog the car, I am going to swap the cats back to the stock cats.
Other than that, I just remove my intake and replace it with the stock MAF and intake, then the car will pass.

Swapping back to the stock intake setup takes me only about 15 minutes.

Swapping back the cats will be maybe 2 hours max.

As long as the nitrous line is not connected to the intake, they cannot fail it as it is not hooked up, and everything else will then pass visual, and it does pass fine out the pipe.

I go to pass or don't pay places, so they are motivated to get paid and not waste their time

I do like the nameless cats as they sound awesome and do give maybe 10 HP, but they are not quite good enough to pass smog in CA.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 09-29-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Thanks. By the way I have never gotten a definitive answer from what a bone stock XKR might gain by just swapping the stock downpipes with the Nameless Performance cats. My impression is not much difference at least on a bang-for-the-buck basis.

Doug

Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

On a separate note, thinking about how much the 4.0 can handle.

Given I'm running water/meth injection and "only" 15-16 psi, even while adding a 70 HP shot of nitrous, which really ought to be enough to run an 11.9x 1/4, I would think this would still be the same or less stress on the motor as running 22 psi on the twin screw.

The big advantage to the twin screw is it is more efficient and cooler, but I am not having any heat issues at all because I have water/meth injecting before the blower, which is a lot better than injecting after, and the ported blower runs cooler. I had my blower rotors stripped and coated so they are now slipperier and immune to fuel/meth/nitrous, etc.

I have seen and had many PM conversations with some of the Twin Screw guys, some of whom have seen their motors blown to pieces, so I think I got off easy deciding to go the nitrous route instead since this appears to be a much simpler work around to get the correct fuel delivery, etc, and it also allows for very easy fine tuning of AFR because I can individually choose how much fuel and how much nitrous to add, at whatever RPM and ramp up rate I want. I like doing this my way of not having to try to get more flow out of the stock injectors, but simply adding whatever I want with an additional fuel supply via the independent/additional nitrous fuel delivery. The pumps, with the boost a pump, are up to task, so this was the easy and much less expensive route.

So, given that adding only a +50 or +70 RWHP shot of Nitrous, and whatever amount of fuel I choose to give me a 12.0-12.5 AFR (whatever I want at the time) I'm thinking Steve M has already proven that the 4.0 design, even without having the advantages of oil squirting on the bottom of forged pistons, is adequate to the task of an 11 second run.

I still have not been able to get a good RPM signal for my Nitrous controller to accept, but have been offered help by the best electronics guy on this board, so that is being investigated as we speak, and I will get it working properly sooner or later. When I do, I'll test with the smaller +35 and +50 RWHP jets and then see how I do.

I'm not sure how fast my car is right now, maybe 12.8 or so ?? 1/4 mile. I can say it is a lot faster than my 13.2 car was. Honestly, for me, right now, even without the nitrous it is fast enough for me. I didn't think I would be at the "fast enough" stage before adding the nitrous, but I am, and am quite happy with it as it is.

I could keep adding just enough nitrous to be at the top of the list, and sweat it a little, but I am quite content with my car as it is right now. This is a good place to be. To be content with what I have right now.

The nitrous is just icing on the cake. Hopefully I can get it working properly and tested before the 1/4 mile track here closes for the year, but I'm not loosing any sleep over it. If I never got it to work and stayed with how my car is now, I would still feel very good about what I have accomplished to this point.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 10-06-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Thanks. By the way I have never gotten a definitive answer from what a bone stock XKR might gain by just swapping the stock downpipes with the Nameless Performance cats. My impression is not much difference at least on a bang-for-the-buck basis.

Doug

Probably approx +10 HP, but the sound improvement is worth something too

So bang for the buck, definitely not. One downside is when you get on it, it gives the car "bad breath"

Would I do them again, yes.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 09-29-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
On a separate note, thinking about how much the 4.0 can handle.

Given I'm running water/meth injection and "only" 15-16 psi, even while adding a 70 HP shot of nitrous, which really ought to be enough to run an 11.9x 1/4, I would think this would still be the same or less stress on the motor as running 20 psi on the twin screw.

The big advantage to the twin screw is it is more efficient and cooler, but I am not having any heat issues at all because I have water/meth injecting before the blower, which is a lot better than injecting after, and the ported blower runs cooler. I had my blower rotors stripped and coated so they are now slipperier and immune to fuel/meth/nitrous, etc.

I have seen and had many PM conversations with some of the Twin Screw guys, some of whom have seen their motors blown to pieces, so I think I got off easy deciding to go the nitrous route instead since this appears to be a much simpler work around to get the correct fuel delivery, etc, and it also allows for very easy fine tuning of AFR because I can individually choose how much fuel and how much nitrous to add, at whatever RPM and ramp up rate I want. I like doing this my way of not having to try to get more flow out of the stock injectors, but simply adding whatever I want with an additional fuel supply via the independent/additional nitrous fuel delivery. The pumps, with the boost a pump, are up to task, so this was the easy and much less expensive route.

So, given that adding only a +50 or +70 RWHP shot of Nitrous, and whatever amount of fuel I choose to give me a 12.0-12.5 AFR (whatever I want at the time) I'm thinking Steve M has already proven that the 4.0 design, even without having the advantages of oil squirting on the bottom of forged pistons, is adequate to the task of an 11 second run.

I still have not been able to get a good RPM signal for my Nitrous controller to accept, but have been offered help by the best electronics guy on this board, so that is being investigated as we speak, and I will get it working properly sooner or later. When I do, I'll test with the smaller +35 and +50 RWHP jets and then see how I do.

I'm not sure how fast my car is right now, maybe 12.8 or so ?? 1/4 mile. I can say it is a lot faster than my 13.2 car was. Honestly, for me, right now, even without the nitrous it is fast enough for me. I didn't think I would be at the "fast enough" stage before adding the nitrous, but I am, and am quite happy with it as it is.

I could keep adding just enough nitrous to be at the top of the list, and sweat it a little, but I am quite content with my car as it is right now. This is a good place to be. To be content with what I have right now.

The nitrous is just icing on the cake. Hopefully I can get it working properly and tested before the 1/4 mile track here closes for the year, but I'm not loosing any sleep over it. If I never got it to work and stayed with how my car is now, I would still feel very good about what I have accomplished to this point.
few things from that 'thinking out loud post'!

the 4.2 oil jets were installed on those engines to try and cure petrol wash.
have you used cam/crank position sensors as signals?
you're not the only person to have install noz on an XJR. This one did 450rwhp

Attached Thumbnails I've changed these 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap  :)-a8.jpg   I've changed these 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap  :)-a4.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
WaterDragon (09-30-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I have seen and had many PM conversations with some of the Twin Screw guys, some of whom have seen their motors blown to pieces...
What?

Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
What?
It is not "public" knowledge, so I cannot reveal who it happened to.

But the twin screw installations have not all gone as smoothly as some would have liked.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Then why mention it in the first place???

Old 09-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

COOL!

450 RWHP is pretty good.

There have been several XJRs or XKRs who have done nitrous before. I'm certainly not claiming to be the first, best, or fastest, by any stretch. But it would seem that there are ZERO (edit-WHO ARE SELLING THESE MODS) who have proven what they say they have done on a track. Example Eurotek claimed to have run an nitrous fueled 11.6 or some B.S. but if you look at the claimed times, they make no sense at all and are obviously willfully fictitious. After talking to the owner of Eurotek I am completely convinced the numbers were fabricated.

If and when I am successful getting my nitrous working, I will set the bar of proof higher proving the run down a real 1/4 mile track on video.

Note: I completely do believe Steve M did run his 11.92 fastest yet proven jaguar powered 1/4 mile run yet, and I expect he will go even faster next year.

I have not yet tried the crank or cam signals. What we are trying right now is an over the counter device that is supposed to be able to convert the signal we are currently getting from the injectors, or coils, into something the nitrous controller can use. I'm trying to start with the simplest and easiest to reproduce thing first, so others who go this way can have a much easier proven direct installation.

Can you post a photo of where the crank signal wire can be tapped into? If so I can try it and see if it works.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 09-29-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Then why mention it in the first place???
For the same reason I mentioned when I blew up my last car because of a cracked injector which caused a hydro lock and bent a rod, then, about 1000 miles later it threw that rod. Naming exactly who it happened to is not required.

Sure it was embarrassing when my motor was destroyed by what was probably my fault, either my injector was cracked when it was sent out for cleaning, or I did it on installing it, but I think people should have more complete information of when things go wrong and cause damage/cost to help them avoid repeating mistakes.

I said I would not reveal the party in question, and I keep my word, so I will not. It is not necessary for me to name names. If you really need to know, PM AVOS for confirmation or a denial if anyone in the last month blew their motor to pieces and see if he responds with a yes or no.

Apparently in this case some settings were quite a bit off, the car ran very lean and went "Boom" and made for a not very happy camper.

If I have some mis-hap with my car, either from the nitrous or something else, I will share the results so those on this board may have the benefit of my experience, good or bad. If I can help someone prevent going through what I did, it is worth sharing the information to me.

I'm not poking fun at anyone in this instance, and I was quite unhappy when I blew my own motor in my last car. I think people should be informed about such things so as to help them avoid them.

I am certainly not afraid of ruffling a few feathers by telling the truth. If you have followed my posts this becomes obvious.

As I said before, when I first came to this board, I found it very difficult to get concrete evidence of what mods yielded what results, and how easy which mods were to do. I have also proven that some of what was accepted as gospel was completely false.

I have found my own way by trying things myself and posting the results, the good and the bad, what I would do next time, and what I would not do next time.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 09-29-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:38 PM

You need a real-life example of a Jag on Nitrous? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...nitrous-96383/
BTW I was there on the day & shot a video of when he went 12.99

There are two X350 XJR's in the UK running the same setup now. They have massive problems with traction off the line. The ET's don't show the improvement (yet) but the MPH through the trap does.

One X350 went from previous 13.60 @ 105.68mph, to 13.06 @ 110.31mph just by adding the 75-shot.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM

.....I said I would not reveal the party in question, and I keep my word, so I will not. It is not necessary for me to name names....
I don't know what the agreement between you & the unnamed party was, but I would have thought keeping a confidence would mean saying nothing at all. Just by mentioning (without naming names) it you've brought it to peoples attention.

You ninja-edited your last post so the reply I typed out is kind of pointless now.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Bringing these types of things to peoples attention is the point.

I stand by my principle of trying to warn people how not to repeat costly mistakes.

Revealing the name of the person in this instance would be simply rude and un-necessary.

My agreement was to not name names, I have kept my agreement, and maintain all of the implied terms of the agreement.

This is the difference of saying John put on a condom this way (incorrectly), had sex with a street walker, then got a STD.

vs

Some dude put on a condom this way (incorrectly), had sex with a street walker, then got a STD

The action and result is the same, the value to the reader is almost the same, so revealing the John (who got screwed in this case) is not required...

note, I'm using "John" as a ficticious name here for those who are not familiar with the term

Last edited by WaterDragon; 09-29-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

You need a real-life example of a Jag on Nitrous? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...nitrous-96383/
BTW I was there on the day & shot a video of when he went 12.99

There are two X350 XJR's in the UK running the same setup now. They have massive problems with traction off the line. The ET's don't show the improvement (yet) but the MPH through the trap does.

One X350 went from previous 13.60 @ 105.68mph, to 13.06 @ 110.31mph just by adding the 75-shot.
I would think if they are having traction problems they would benefit from delaying the nitrous until the point in the track they can apply more power. Progressive nitrous controllers these days allow you to set a variety of parameters to allow you to avoid this problem and maximize the gains. They can set a progressive ramp up at any rate you want, a time delay, rpm window, minimum/maximum boost requirement, first gear lock out, etc.

Point of clarification: I need a real life example when someone is trying to sell something to me. My example where I named a name was Eurotek, as he made a claim of an 11.6 (and that "his" modified car goes from 100-136 in 1.45 seconds or some BS liket that but has no evidence. Here is HIS claim on HIS page http://www.eurotekdesigns.com/assets...guarXKCLUB.pdf . If you have ever talked with them, you know what I mean. If someone says give me $10,000 and I'll add 250 HP, or $3000 for my exhaust and you WILL gain 50 hp, I say show me, don't just talk about it. Run your car down the track on video with and without the upgrade and show me.

I am well aware that nitrous works, and that adding a 75 shot of NOS will provide results like you posted, that is in line with reasonable expectation, and, the racer was not trying to sell me anything.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 10-06-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Quote "Point of clarification: I need a real life example when someone is trying to sell something to me. My example where I named a name was Eurotek, as he made a claim of an 11.6 but has no evidence. "

How Outrageous of Eurotek to make such a claim and have no evidence. It would be like someone posting on this forum and claiming "I've changed 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap"

Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

@ rocklandjag
have a look here where your buddy himself posted this BS https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...-4-mile-80796/
How and why would you attempt to defend this?

Here is your buddies direct link http://www.eurotekdesigns.com/assets...guarXKCLUB.pdf

You are correct I have no where near 650 HP, approx 470-475 on the motor, and we'll see how much more with the Nitrous.

How about I post a fake photo of a dyno? Would that prove anything?

Attached Thumbnails I've changed these 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap  :)-bogus-dyno-pic.jpg   I've changed these 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap  :)-bogus-stolen-dyno-photo.jpg   I've changed these 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap  :)-bogus-dyno-3.jpg  

Last edited by WaterDragon; 10-06-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added more laughture to my bogus post
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 PM

Nice stolen picture RPi Exhaust (F10 M5) Dyno results are in. OH YEA!

You're really being silly now...

Quick Reply: I've changed these 15 things in the last 2 months, I now have 650 HP+ on tap :)