XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar XJR supercharger pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by /***
Can someone explain me why to modify the snout and if how to do so?
Another option you have is to swap out the lower pulley on the crankshaft. Much easier swap that allows you to gain more torque in the midrange, quite useable. I'm not a fan of irreversible mods, hence not a fan of the s/c pulley swap. theres a tool available for shaving down the s/c snout.

The following users liked this post:
/nob (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks, all clear.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM

There was a special offer at eurocharged, i ordered their upper pulley, the pulley puller from alta and a standard steering wheel puller. Other tools are in place. The change looked easy, but as today me and a friend are taking a closer look, the Hood is in the way

How have you done your pulley change, did someone know or have images from this work?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I never got around to doing it. Sold my '01 XJR about a year and a half ago and missing it very much.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:00 AM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default it's not hard

What kind of power tool do you have for grinding? Whatever it is, go to your favorite tool store and buy a metal cutting bit. I just used a hand drill with a pretty aggressive cutting bit I Pl found at sears. You're then using it to reduce the metal on the nose of the supercharger until the new pulley fits cleanly. You need to have something (pipe, template) the exact diameter of the new pulley to see if you've removed enough material from the nose. Once you have, clean up your rough grind, with sanding drums attachments until smooth.

When you've finished smoother it out and have checked and double checked you'll ready to heat the pulley. You can get it hot enough with just a single bottle propane torch. It does help to measure the temp they recommend as it easily slides on the shafts once it expands. Because you've already marked the nose before pulley/cutting off the old pulley, you know exactly where to stop the new pulley at. Let it cool down. Get you'll belt on and ENJOY! You'll love it.

Now get rid of the restriction over the throttle bottle by replacing it with a 90 degree bend.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Removing the hood is easy with 2 people. Mark the hinge location on the hood before removal so you have a guide when you reinstall it.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:01 PM
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Forget a puller, Cut the pulley in half

I didn't wast time with a puller. I cut thru the original with a $18 air cutter wheel from harbor freight in twenty minutes. The snout grinding is not hard either with Dremel tool with a course cutting bit. I Just cleaned it up with a hand file. You don't need to grind the shaft.
The added response was worth the effort and the area you removed is completely covered by the new pulley.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the help and the tips. As more i read as more panic comes off

We have a Dremel with some tools, a steering wheel puller plus the alta pulley puller, a torque wrench and a professional hot air gun (Heißluftgebläse). I am not shure if the air gun is good enough for the pulley.

Originally Posted by GGabriel
Now get rid of the restriction over the throttle bottle by replacing it with a 90 degree bend.
I never heard or read about the restriction, can you explain this please a little detailed?

Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 PM

Above your throttle body, the intake is smashed down. If you take it off and really look at it, you can see vast room for improvement. Like others I found a 90' bend (I think it's 3") and did whatever it took to make it fit. I connected it to some hose of the same diameter to a cone filter.

Many don't believe there is any value to this but both were a night and day improvement for my SVDP 4.0 XJ. I'm playing with a 4" 90' bend to see if there is further improvement.

This is my half weekend without my kids, and I also want to weld up my test pipes and see what difference can experience with that nasty right angled bend coming out of the cats.
Did you install your smaller pulley yet? It's really not hard and you'll love the results. If I can really finish these projects, next weekend I want to start on my water injection install.

Good luck,

G

Originally Posted by /***
Thanks for the help and the tips. As more i read as more panic comes off

We have a Dremel with some tools, a steering wheel puller plus the alta pulley puller, a torque wrench and a professional hot air gun (Heißluftgebläse). I am not shure if the air gun is good enough for the pulley.

I never heard or read about the restriction, can you explain this please a little detailed?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:40 PM

As big of a difference as the 3 " 90 ' intake tube was, the 4 " was in a different league. It was raining on and off in Michigan yesterday and I expected wheel spin, but nothing like this. I've got 275" 19 summer tires on and wasn't able to give full throttle on the roads I was on, even at 45 mph. The low down throttle response is pretty amazing.

I'll be taking it out later tonight to get some gas and will be able to try it out on dry roads, and really see the difference but so far, it's one of those Wow changes.

I used a 90 ' 4 " piece of plumbing since everything I found at the auto stores was 3" and made my 3" flex hose fit. Great for testing buy I couldn't close the hood. I found a silicon 4 " 90 ' at Pep Boys. Very nice piece with a short and long side. I had rubber that let it fit the throttle body for a leak free fit and tightened it up with the fittings it came with. No 4 " tubing anywhere I could find. Have to mail order or go back to Home Depot for a plumbing section visit.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

GGabriel,

Going for a larger maf next?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 AM

I'd love to Mvirgle. I have to start searching the forum for advice. I have to get dome 4 "tubing next. The drive to work on dry roads showed an amazing amount of power down low. Even starting off in second gear, the rear 275 tire will easily spin. I kept activating the DSC. Turning it off let me maintain nice tire spin 3/4's up 2 gear in the D mode. In sport using first it's not even funny how fast the tires break lose with even moderate power. I couldn't do this in 2nd gear with my 3 " 90'. The 4" really made a difference.

Originally Posted by Mvirgil
GGabriel,

Going for a larger maf next?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds awesome! i have to give the larger intake a try. From looking through alot of old posts it seems Abaco and Pro-M Maf's have been used.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

There's a larger MAF for sale in the for sale section on this site

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...-2-scs-140663/

Old 06-07-2015, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the link. I'm waiting on a response from the owner to see if it will work on my engine.

Originally Posted by grandell
There's a larger MAF for sale in the for sale section on this site

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...-2-scs-140663/

Old 06-27-2015, 07:10 PM

"I've already contacted AVOS but for the moment I can not afford his kit."

I could cry looking back in time. I had the money saved up for Avo's twinscrew kit, but had been burned so many times in the past, I felt to uncomfortable to send a check out that large without some kind of guarantee.

I didn't then know how honest he was (which is very) and gave the money to my (later ex) wife instead to make her happy (very short lived)....

Should have given it to Avo's instead and I'd I have a twinscrew instead of my Eaton...

Oh well...next time I give it to Avo's instead of a women.

avos (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, and sorry to hear about the miss-investment. I can certainly understand being hesitant to send funds to someone unknown abroad.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by avos
Thanks for the kind words, and sorry to hear about the miss-investment. I can certainly understand being hesitant to send funds to someone unknown abroad.
Ahh, if only I knew then that you were the real deal Andre

Next time I have a lump of $$$ I'm not even going to wait...

and I had it about a year ago too, but the women I met and fell in love with about a year after my divorce became very ill. She was everything I had dreamed about in a women, but became so sick I couldn't leave her alone to go to work. Before she passed, the twin screw funds went into her bills, car repair, super expense medicine not covered when she reached her max, and a nursing company to watch over her until I came back after work.

Unlike my ex, she was so worth it and so deserving of it (and more)...

But strike 2 for my dream twin screw...

My (new) plan now is to not date until you have my money and I have your twin screw! After experiencing this twice, I do not believe beautiful women and twin screws mix well. They seem to both want large amounts of money and don't want the other getting it.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Default Help

Wow! All this info is overwhelming. I am looking to do a few engine upgrades to my 2000 xjr. I was considering a super sprint exhaust and mina gallery pulley. I am not very engine savvy and have no idea what I should do about reservoirs, upper, lower pulleys, etc. I read these posts and I'm still a little lost. Any guidance or parts lists would be much appreciated.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can share my experience with my 2001 XJR and upgrades. First things first, make sure it is running properly and maintenance is up to snuff before upgrades. I installed an auto meter boost gauge on my car while it was bone stock. Boost read between 10-11 psi under full throttle at highway speeds. I then added a powerhouse 3lb upper pulley. The highest reading I saw was 13 psi. Performance was improved, especially through the midrange but I was expecting more. I ran it at a local drag strip and the best time I got was 14.1 @ 100mph in the 1/4 mile.
After research I decided to make a larger intake. I made a 3.5 aluminum intake with a large cone filter and a heatshield around it. I also used a silicone elbow to turn down into the throttle body. I kept the stock MAF. This made a very noticeable improvement. Supercharger whine is very pronounced and boost will reach 15psi on cold days. I added a small home made water/meth kit and ran again at the drag strip. I managed a 13.7 at just over 102mph. The car felt stronger and ran smoother. I attribute some of this to the meth kit keeping detonation at bay.
I have not done any sort of tuning and the car has around 165k miles for reference.

Z07Brandon (03-15-2020)